Posted to rec.audio.high-end
AL

Default Marantz DV8400-or ant MarantzSACD

sent this to Marantz:Comments: DV8400-when I play sacd multich disc
and it's less than 5.1 the front panel lights up: L C R lit

(LFE) not lit

LS RS lit

-but the center speaker is not playing and the sub is playing-found
this mainly with Chesky discs, because that's what I have most of--I
understand there are multich discs with 3,4,5 but shouldn't the Center
not light up when no Center material iinstead of LFE off

and there is sub thanks al--hope this is clear
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Kalman Rubinson

On 8 Feb 2006 04:18:14 GMT, "AL" wrote:

sent this to Marantz:Comments: DV8400-when I play sacd multich disc
and it's less than 5.1 the front panel lights up: L C R lit

(LFE) not lit

LS RS lit

-but the center speaker is not playing and the sub is playing-found
this mainly with Chesky discs, because that's what I have most of--I
understand there are multich discs with 3,4,5 but shouldn't the Center
not light up when no Center material iinstead of LFE off

and there is sub thanks al--hope this is clear

Most of the Cheskys that are not 5.1 are 4.0 or 6.0. Are you sure
your sub is not getting bass-managed signals?

Kal
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message
On 8 Feb 2006 04:18:14 GMT, "AL" wrote:

sent this to Marantz:Comments: DV8400-when I play sacd multich disc
and it's less than 5.1 the front panel lights up: L C R lit

(LFE) not lit

LS RS lit

-but the center speaker is not playing and the sub is playing-found
this mainly with Chesky discs, because that's what I have most of--I
understand there are multich discs with 3,4,5 but shouldn't the Center
not light up when no Center material iinstead of LFE off

and there is sub thanks al--hope this is clear

Most of the Cheskys that are not 5.1 are 4.0 or 6.0. Are you sure
your sub is not getting bass-managed signals?

Given they are Chesky's, you might also be getting one of the 6.0 extra
channels through the sub output....the center and the sub channel are where
Chesky puts the extra two channels.

Harry

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland

"AL" wrote in message
sent this to Marantz:Comments: DV8400-when I play sacd multich disc
and it's less than 5.1 the front panel lights up: L C R lit

(LFE) not lit

LS RS lit

-but the center speaker is not playing and the sub is playing-found
this mainly with Chesky discs, because that's what I have most of--I
understand there are multich discs with 3,4,5 but shouldn't the Center
not light up when no Center material iinstead of LFE off

and there is sub thanks al--hope this is clear

You seem to be confusing the LFE with the sub-woofer. They are not the
same. The LFE channel is for Low Frequency Effects, used mostly for films.
In most surround systems, the amplifier/receiver's bass management system
will decide what goes to the 'speakers and what goes to the sub woofer.
With a music SACD, there shouldn't be an LFE channel, as there shouldn't
be and Low Frequency Effects, but musical low frequencies will
nevertheless go to the Sub thanks to the amplifier's bass management.

S.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Steven Sullivan

Serge Auckland wrote:
"AL" wrote in message
[...]

Some surround mixing engineers of DVD-A and SACDs *do* mix dedicated content into
the .1 channel, though. This is analogous to 'LFE' content on DVD-videos.