Posted to rec.audio.car
Sam

Default Design

Hey guys! I am installing my very first system into my 98' Passat
4-door. I was wondering if anyone has some input as to where I should
place my amps. Both are MTX; one for the front stage and one for the
subs. I will have my subs in an enclosure in the trunk.

Thanks for your input!!!

Sam

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Hey guys! I am installing my very first system into my 98' Passat
4-door. I was wondering if anyone has some input as to where I should
place my amps.

That depends on several things. First and foremost, do you want a stealthy
system or do you want to show-off your gear? I have had both types of
systems and the simple truth is that my showy systems were stolen (three
times!!), my stealthy systems weren't. For a stealthy system (like the one
I have now), I would recommend placing as much of your gear as possible
under the seat or in the trunk, out of sight. In the trunk, the subwoofer
enclosure often makes a good amp rack.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

In the trunk, the subwoofer
enclosure often makes a good amp rack.

MOSFET

It also makes it twice as easy to steal your gear. You should never put the
amp on the sub unless you are 1000000% sure you will not get your equipment
stolen. That makes it so easy to jack your stuff that a thief wouldn't even
have to work for it. But regardless, the rest of the post is valid, in my
opinion.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Sam

Would the back of the seats be a decent place? I am trying to go for a
somewhat stealthy system being that I do not want my equipment stolen.
However, it does not necessarily have to be extremely incognito.

Posted to rec.audio.car
metal_flowboard

for the stealling factor, could you use security screws, I know iv seen
my dad use them, they ar like cross head screws you can only do them
up, if you try to undo them screw diver spins out
like if youv even spun the head on a screw leaving you nothing but a
circle in the top which you cant undo it with but get angree at

Im just wondering if using these to screw it into you car may help out
the stealing factor, sure it wont stop them braking in but theyll have
to look twce before they just unscrew i

I think drilling out the screws would be their only solution and to a
theif who hoped to brake into and steal from a car with a simple screw
driver it could be difficult,(the theiving aint the most inteligent
most of the time), it could be interesting to watch if he goes home to
get a drill

that and the bolts they put up some fences with, they sort of grind off
the nut so its just a cone left, nice and tight and hard to grip onto
to undo and youred need an angle grinder to take one out quikly, not
the most descreet for a robber

these ideas if good are only useful however if your planning on keeping
things in your car for a while as it would be just as hard for the
owner to remove his own kit, meaning thier useless if your planing on
constant upgrading of equipment

but im hearing what your saying about having the amp and speakers in
one box just makes it easier to lift out, just thinking a secure box
could be on the way to secure equipment

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

for the stealling factor, could you use security screws, I know iv seen
my dad use them, they ar like cross head screws you can only do them

Good idea! I've never though of that before and it would CERTAINLY make
stealing ones' system difficult. However for me this would be disaster as I
am CONSTANTLY changing my system around (trying different configurations,
adding things here, subtracting things there). Of course, if you're the
type who tends to set things up and never touch it again then this might be
feasible. But for me, an alarm is the best option to minimize theft.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Cyrus

In article ,
"MOSFET" wrote:

for the stealling factor, could you use security screws, I know iv seen
my dad use them, they ar like cross head screws you can only do them

Good idea! I've never though of that before and it would CERTAINLY make
stealing ones' system difficult. However for me this would be disaster as I
am CONSTANTLY changing my system around (trying different configurations,
adding things here, subtracting things there). Of course, if you're the
type who tends to set things up and never touch it again then this might be
feasible. But for me, an alarm is the best option to minimize theft.

MOSFET

Partsexpress has the bits and security head screws. They look nice on
something out in the open, home audio cabinets for instance.

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandonb

Aye, I've noticed that the security Hex bits (with the hole in the
center) work pretty well. Heck, even square drive works well. I usually
use those for mounting my subs anyway. Most people jacking equipment
won't have these bits on hand, but it is still easy for the owner to
remove if needed as opposed to the one-way-only screws. I've also seen
people use bolts installed from the opposite side so a deep socket is
needed, like for sparkplugs.

Also keep in mind that a lot of thieves have no respect. If they are
bold enough to break in but can't take the equipment, many times they
will try and cause as much damage as possible. From hacking the dash to
ripping holes in speaker surrounds, to smashing faceplates or other
things like seats, upholstery, etc.

The best defense when it comes to car audio is to not advertise. No
steal-me stickers, limited or no tinting, no booming in questionable
areas or near your starting and stopping points, especially your home.
Don't let anyone see it or know about it, such as friends at school,
work, neighbors, because it tends to get around even without meaning to.
So far in about 9 years worth, I've never had equipment stolen, but I
also do all of the above. Even when I've had equipment in plain site
I've done nothing to draw attention to the vehicle to make people look.
Almost all of my friends have had their equipment stolen at least once.
One of them was parked next to mine in a movie theater parking lot and
mine was entirely intact.

Brandonb

Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
Sub Amps - a Follow up Question T Tech 26 April 29th 05 05:26 PM
KISS 121 by Andre Jute [email protected] Vacuum Tubes 0 April 22nd 05 09:30 PM
KISS 113 by Andre Jute Andre Jute Vacuum Tubes 0 November 21st 04 05:44 PM
Design or Engineering !? malcolm Tech 18 November 1st 03 08:39 PM