Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

Default Balance Adjustment Question

Am I the only one that constantly adjusts their balance? I find that just
by wearing different clothing, the reflections of the music change
ever-so-slightly that I vary my balance by just one increment to center my
sound stage. For example, when I go to the gym to work out, the music
reflects differently off of my bare legs (I wear shorts) versus when I wear
jeans. This is in my Maxima, with my Dynaudio 3-ways...the 8-inch
midwoofers are in the stock location down low in the door panel and the mids
and tweets in Q-Logic kick panels.

To a lesser degree, I have also noticed that not all CDs are recorded with
the same left/right bias and that sometimes I also have to adjust the
balance accordingly.

Anyone else as sensitive to this as I am?

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Am I the only one that constantly adjusts their balance? I find that just
by wearing different clothing, the reflections of the music change

Yes, you're the only one. I think you're crazy. Go check yourself in.

Seriously, I too find that different songs are recorded differently and that
the center image can vary widely (and I get a VERY solid center image with
the help of time correction). But I, personally, seldom adjust the balance.
I guess it's just kind of an anal thing, it's like something is then
out-of-place (and I will worry that I MIGHT FORGET TO TURN IT BACK!). I
mean, balance IS important to me. If I think the balance is wrong (for all
music), I will pull over and adjust the gains on the amps. But if I think
it is something specific to just one song I will tend to just live with it,
I assume that THAT is how the artists and recording engineers wanted it.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

I get the samething when I'm banging fat and skinny girls in my car, the
sounds reflects differently off their butts and when I bang a fat and skinny
girl at the sametime I get an echo.

In article , "Tony F"
wrote:
Am I the only one that constantly adjusts their balance? I find that just
by wearing different clothing, the reflections of the music change
ever-so-slightly that I vary my balance by just one increment to center my
sound stage. For example, when I go to the gym to work out, the music
reflects differently off of my bare legs (I wear shorts) versus when I wear
jeans. This is in my Maxima, with my Dynaudio 3-ways...the 8-inch
midwoofers are in the stock location down low in the door panel and the mids
and tweets in Q-Logic kick panels.

To a lesser degree, I have also noticed that not all CDs are recorded with
the same left/right bias and that sometimes I also have to adjust the
balance accordingly.

Anyone else as sensitive to this as I am?

Tony

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

"Seriously, I too find that different songs are recorded differently and
that the center image can vary widely (and I get a VERY solid center image
with the help of time correction)."

I've had time alignment now for at least a year and I've played around with
it until I'm blue in the face and I've always came to the same conclusion:
My stereo just sounds better without it. For whatever reason, it just does.
I dunno.

"But I, personally, seldom adjust the balance. I guess it's just kind of an
anal thing, it's like something is then out-of-place (and I will worry that
I MIGHT FORGET TO TURN IT BACK!)."

I used to be that way, too. But, after getting over what I may "think"
about any particular setting on my stereo, I just set it for the best sound
and ignore the over-analytical side of my brain.. I've gone rounds and
rounds with many specific settings that just didn't "seem right", but sooner
or later I just get over it and leave it wherever it sounds best at. Once I
got rid of that way of thinking, I actually became happier with my system.
I finally accomplished this by doing this: Closing my eyes and turning the
balance quickly back and forth from left to right a bunch of times and then
stopping at random. Then, I'd adjust it slowly until the image magically
POPS into center position (with my eyes still closed so I would have no idea
what the balance was actually set at). Then, I'd open my eyes and leave the
balance the way it is no matter what the setting was.

"If I think the balance is wrong (for all music), I will pull over and
adjust the gains on the amps."

Well, back when I had my 60-band EQ I could independently control left &
right channel gains to my liking. Now that I don't have it, I discovered
that the balance control serves the same purpose...as long as I can get over
KNOWING that the balance is not set at zero! Problem is, with every little
tweak I can make with my Clarion DRZ9255, it WON'T adjust the individual
output levels of each channel!!! I'm not sure what Clarion was thinking,
but it's the achilles heel of this particular player (the only real
criticism I have of it actually).

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1
Amplifiers, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped In Front and Focal 130HCs For Rear
Fill, Image Dynamics IDMAX10 D4 v.3 Sub

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

"I get the samething when I'm banging fat [girls]"

Hope you have a big car.

"and when I bang a fat and skinny girl at the sametime I get an echo."

Hope you have a REALLY BIG car.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1
Amplifiers, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped In Front and Focal 130HCs For Rear
Fill, Image Dynamics IDMAX10 D4 v.3 Sub

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

I've had time alignment now for at least a year and I've played around
with it until I'm blue in the face and I've always came to the same
conclusion: My stereo just sounds better without it.

Well Tony, that's because you have kick-panels, I don't (that's one of my
NEXT projects). Your path-lengths are much more equal than mine. You
should hear my system. Without the time alignment you are very aware of both
the right and left speaker, yet when activated, the image jumps to the
center of the dash and you can't tell where the speakers are, it's
wonderful.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

I get the samething when I'm banging fat and skinny girls in my car,

Do they call you Captain Howdy when you are "banging" them?

Ohhhhh Captain Howdy!!!

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

Never have to mess around with my balance adjustments. The only thing that I
notice is low end output changing and that seems to be due to weather
conditions on the same tracks at the same valume.

In article , "Tony F"
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

Crown Vic great fit for fat chicks.

In article , "Tony F"
wrote:
"I get the samething when I'm banging fat [girls]"

Hope you have a big car.

"and when I bang a fat and skinny girl at the sametime I get an echo."

Hope you have a REALLY BIG car.

Tony

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

Nah, I give them your name. So if the baby police shows up that your door
you'll know why.