Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stevie Vaughan

Default Turntable bearing oil ?

I just bought a new table and it came with 5ml of RED oil. I put the bearing
assy together and realized that the hole drilled through the base wasn't
straight and I needed to take the bearing apart again. My Question is.. Is
there a good reason why anyone should spend 15 to 25 bucks on a very SMALL
amount of this oil? Isn't it available some other way? Who knows what it is
exactly? Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Stevie Vaughan wrote:
I just bought a new table and it came with 5ml of RED oil. I put the bearing
assy together and realized that the hole drilled through the base wasn't
straight and I needed to take the bearing apart again. My Question is.. Is
there a good reason why anyone should spend 15 to 25 bucks on a very SMALL
amount of this oil? Isn't it available some other way? Who knows what it is
exactly? Thanks

It's hard to say exactly what it is, but some time ago, there was a
manufacturer who was selling "super" lubricating oil for some ungodly
amount of money. It, to was red. On a hunch, I went to my local auto
parts store and picked up a can of Marvel Mystery Oil. In every single
property I and a chemist friend were able to evaluate, the magic high
priced oil WAS Marvel Mystery Oil. When the manufacturer's US agent
was queried, he of course, denied this and flat out stated that the
warranty was void unless their special high-priced oil was used.

Not long thereafter, an employee of the company confirmed that,
in fcat, the very expeinsive special oil WAS Marvel Mystery Oil, simply
poured out of the can. If you included $1 for the little glass vial,
profit
margin to the distributor was in the realm of 96%.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
TonyP

Stevie Vaughan wrote:
I just bought a new table and it came with 5ml of RED oil. I put the bearing
assy together and realized that the hole drilled through the base wasn't
straight and I needed to take the bearing apart again. My Question is.. Is
there a good reason why anyone should spend 15 to 25 bucks on a very SMALL
amount of this oil? Isn't it available some other way? Who knows what it is
exactly? Thanks

Since I use Mobil 1 in my auto.. I use it with the VPI I have.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Norman M. Schwartz

"Stevie Vaughan" wrote in message
I just bought a new table and it came with 5ml of RED oil. I put the
bearing
assy together and realized that the hole drilled through the base wasn't
straight and I needed to take the bearing apart again. My Question is.. Is
there a good reason why anyone should spend 15 to 25 bucks on a very SMALL
amount of this oil? Isn't it available some other way? Who knows what it
is
exactly? Thanks

I've been using cans labeled "3 in 1 Multi Purpose Oil" and "3 in 1 SAE 20
Motor Oil", probably the same item, for "a coons age" with no ill effect.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Is there a good reason why anyone should spend 15 to 25 bucks on a very
SMALL amount of this oil? Isn't it available some other way? Who knows what it
is exactly?

Most likely, it is a form of Marvel Mystery Oil, AKA "After-Run" oil
repackaged at midnight by a new moon using only left-handed virgins all
born at midnight of Walpurgis Night (May 1, of course) , and all aged
66.6 years old.

About $3 for 4 ounces at your nearest automotive store. It has a
distinctive smell, so you can narrow it down easily.

I have found that most bearings of the nature you describe respond very
well to PTFE-based oils found at your local hobby-shop. If the guy
behind the counter boggles, just say "Teflon-Oil", he will hand you a
small pin-point oiler for about $4. I have used it for years on
everything from R/C submarines to clocks to tuning condenser bearings.
Great stuff, doesn't get hard, doesn't gum... I also use the Marvel as
after-run oil, about 1/4th the cost of the purpose-sold stuff, and I
have hundreds of hours on the motor (.50CC 2-stroke) of my R/C
hovercraft. But when you wrote "red" it triggered the connection.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bear

Stevie Vaughan wrote:

I just bought a new table and it came with 5ml of RED oil. I put the bearing
assy together and realized that the hole drilled through the base wasn't
straight and I needed to take the bearing apart again. My Question is.. Is
there a good reason why anyone should spend 15 to 25 bucks on a very SMALL
amount of this oil? Isn't it available some other way? Who knows what it is
exactly? Thanks

An earlier response was eaten by my lovely Mozilla browser... arrgh!

Specialty industrial and scientific oils are sold in 55 gal drums and in
the smallest batches I've ever seen, 5 gal pails... so any mfr who
selects a specialty oil has to fork over some bucks up front for way too
much. (For example there are special bearing oils for high speed
spindles...)

I'd want to know what type of bearing it is, that would give a clue as
to what sort of oil and vicosity it really needs. Of course, some mfrs
may have merely guessed.

If the viscosity range fits, the the synthetic oils will be superior -
they're available up to 160 as automotive gear oil.

BTW, 3-In-1 should NOT be used as a bearing oil because of the
additives, it's not a straight oil, afaik.

_-_-bear
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

BTW, 3-In-1 should NOT be used as a bearing oil because of the
additives, it's not a straight oil, afaik.

Actually, it should not be used excepting "Oilite" bearings due to the
_lack_ of additives, not the presence of same. 3-in-1 was pretty much
designed to be a household oil, or a *motor bearing* oil for fractional
HP motors in such things as fans, blowers, bench-grinders and the like,
applications where the oil is expended over a realtively short time and
must be constantly renewed. For a semi-permanent single application,
non-gumming, anti-oxidation additives are required (or synthetics with
sufficiently long-chain molecules to resist gumming and oxidation). In
the application noted (Turntable spindles), the pressures and
temperatures are relatively minor, so the major consideration would be
film-strength, lubrication properties and resistance to oxidation. At
the most basic level, anything above 10W or so should be fine, and
anything at the 'grease' range might be too thick. If the oil that came
with the unit was liquid at room temperature, and had flow to it, the
PTFE-based hobby-oil will be excellent, as it is about 60W, synthetic,
and contains suspended Teflon to prevent metal-to-metal contact. If the
OEM stuff does not flow, but needs to be 'extruded', I would suggest
searching for a molybdenum-disulphide-based bearing grease as the
closest thing to a light-weight high-pressure bearing grease commonly
available.

Try to stay away from *gear* oils, as their primary characteristic is
high film strength (to protect the gear faces under extreme pressures
and at often very high temperatures), not lubrication (help things slip
more easily), so they may considerably increase the load on the
turntable motor.

Despite rumors to the contrary, it ain't nohow rocket science. This is
not a turbine, doesn't spin at 30,000rpm, and does not undergo huge
pressures.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Braxus

I've heard you can use sewing machine oil in bearings because it is nice and
light. I did this with my old table and never noticed any problems.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Uptown Audio

What type of table would have a bearing hole misdrilled and then have
you assemble the bearing and buy oil for it? The oil is likely either
transmission fluid or MMO (basically transmission fluid!) as mentioned
earlier.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

PS: I thought you were dead...

"Stevie Vaughan" wrote in message
I just bought a new table and it came with 5ml of RED oil. I put the
bearing
assy together and realized that the hole drilled through the base
wasn't
straight and I needed to take the bearing apart again. My Question
is.. Is
there a good reason why anyone should spend 15 to 25 bucks on a very
SMALL
amount of this oil? Isn't it available some other way? Who knows
what it is
exactly? Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Black Dog

sounds like transmission fluid (oil) which I use on heater blower motors and
it makes them run so smooth.