Posted to rec.audio.car

Default sirius sportster

I'm considering buying the Sportster for my car and to use at home with

the boom box. Does anyone have this and can give me some info? Do you

recommend getting this specific radio?

Also, I found this new sirius website that looks pretty cool -
http://www.siriuslinks.com

Posted to rec.audio.car
Agave

wrote:
I'm considering buying the Sportster for my car and to use at home with

the boom box. Does anyone have this and can give me some info? Do you

recommend getting this specific radio?

Also, I found this new sirius website that looks pretty cool -
http://www.siriuslinks.com

Regardless of which PnP unit you get, make sure the FM frequencies on
which it transmits are not in use, or at least are extremely weak, in
your area.

In major metro areas, especially when you're between major metro areas,
FM modulators can be a PITA. For example, I live in Central NJ and use
the FM modulator for my Clarion Sirius unit. It has about 12 presets
starting at around 88.1. There isn't a single one that works (i.e., has
dead air) in both markets; even the local university stations use up
some of the frequencies. For my 20 mile commute, I need to start out
using a frequency not in use in Philadelphia, then at about mile 18 that
frequency is used out of NY, so I need to switch to another frequency,
which of course is in use closer to Philadelphia.
Posted to rec.audio.car
John Durbin

Try picking up p/n 14110, FM Wired Relay, from a BBY or CCS in your
area. This relay connects to the FM out jack on your Sportster cradle,
then interrupts the car antenna behind your radio so it is not connected
to the car's antenna when your Sportster is on. Pretty much eliminates
need to switch channels & the background static problem you describe.
This part works with the vast majority of Sirius Plug and Play receivers
by the way.

There is also a small FM antenna wire provided in the Sportster & S50
kits that improves FM modulation performance. If you're not using that
already, give it a try. It may fix your problem depending on how crowded
the FM band is in your area. If not, the relay should.

JD