Posted to rec.audio.car
BD

Default Pioneer DEH-P770MP - Not reading all tags??

Hey, all.

Just bought the above mentioned head unit. I stuck in a CD with various
folders of MP3s, having checked the tags in a couple of software apps
before burning... in all cases so far, the player sees the folder name,
the artist name and the file name, but the MP3 track tag isn't always
showing up. Does for some, not for others.

Anyone else had this happen? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

BD

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull

Check the manual of that Head Unit to see what the "illegal characters"
are for it. My player will display (, but won't display [ or { for
example...

~Mister.Lull

Posted to rec.audio.car
BD

My player will display (, but won't display [ or { for example...

I've already encountered a couple of illegal characters, which come up
as "??" on the display. But in those cases, the names still show up.

If you have a [ or a { in the name, does your unit fail to show the
name at all? Or does it just list those characters as a question mark?

Thanks,

BD

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull

When I have those characters, the entire name shows up as a large
astarisk ( * )...

Mine is a Panasonic, though.

Is yours just not showing the name at all?

Posted to rec.audio.car
BD

Is yours just not showing the name at all?

Does for some tracks, not for others.

I go into one album/folder, and hit the "Disp" button - it goes through
Album, Artist, Filename and Title no problem.

I go into another album/folder on the disk (I'm only writing the disk
one folder level deep), and everything shows up for some tracks, but
the Title is not appearing at all for some songs.

I pop the CD in a computer and check the files with a few different MP3
tag editors, and all the info's sitting right there. Rather odd.

I don't mind setting the display to the Filename setting if that'll
consistently show up in the display - but I'd like to know where the
problem lies. Might be some hokey thing with my editing package, but I
did all the albums with the same package.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull

If you ask me (which you didn't specifically, but I do work in IT...)

It sounds like it's the HU.

Try looking at the tags with a different program on your PC...
Personally, I use MusicMatch at home so I would double-check with
Windows Media Player.
If the second (and third, if you have one) program is reading the tag
correctly, I would start emailing tech support at Pioneer and seeing if
the product is faulty in general or if yours just needs repair.

Of coarse the other option is just to live with it, but I don't know if
I could handle a glitchy HU in my car...

~Mister.Lull

Posted to rec.audio.car
BD

Of coarse the other option is just to live with it, but I don't know if I could handle a glitchy HU in my car...

I agree.

I'll try MusicMatch and MPlayer and see what I can see. I could also go
to the vendor's shop and see if other HUs in their store read things
the same way. That's probably the quickest way to pin it down to either
disk or HU. I think I'll do that this aft.

Posted to rec.audio.car
BD

Figured it out - some of my albums have both v1.1 and v2 tags; the ones
whose names were not displaying had the names in the v1.1 tag but not
the v2 tag.

Ergo - the unit reads v2 tags.

Ergo Ergo - gotta make sure both sets of tags are sync'd before I burn
the disk.

Posted to rec.audio.car

I had this issue in my Pioneer 4700, when I used extended ISO disk
format. After refering to the manual I limited to the ISO level which
allows 32/36 character file name. I'm not sure sure how this resolved
the emty tag issue, but it worked for me. Another thing I use ID3 edit
software and always maintain all ID version tags. Hope this helps.

The best is yet to come,

BD wrote:

Figured it out - some of my albums have both v1.1 and v2 tags; the ones
whose names were not displaying had the names in the v1.1 tag but not
the v2 tag.

Ergo - the unit reads v2 tags.

Ergo Ergo - gotta make sure both sets of tags are sync'd before I burn
the disk.

Posted to rec.audio.car
BD

Another thing I use ID3 edit software and always maintain all ID version tags.

Yes, I did another burn this morning and made sure that the tags were
sync'd between v1.1 and v2; everything is behaving properly now. Yaay.

Now I have to decide whether to go through the process of batch gain
matching for all my albums before I finally put them to disk. Probably
not really worth the trouble.

Extracting audio metadata Gaz General 2 October 27th 03 03:28 PM
USED AUDIO LIST Ken Drescher Marketplace 0 September 19th 03 03:28 PM
USED AUDIO LIST see images Ken Drescher Marketplace 2 September 5th 03 04:54 AM
USED AUDIO LIST - Latest Arrivals... Ken Drescher Marketplace 0 August 30th 03 04:08 AM