Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ian McLean

Default 24/96 DAC - 2 channel

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive version of the above to get the
last two channels out of my ESI ESP1010 via its SP/DIF out. Any ideas?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Ian McLean wrote:
I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive version of the above to get the
last two channels out of my ESI ESP1010 via its SP/DIF out. Any ideas?

Would you settle for 44.1 that sounds good, with something like the old
Audio Alchemy boxes or the Entech?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ian McLean

Thanks, I considered these, but all of the instruments in Gigastudio are @
24/96 so that's what I really want.

Ian

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Ian McLean wrote:
I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive version of the above to get the
last two channels out of my ESI ESP1010 via its SP/DIF out. Any ideas?

Would you settle for 44.1 that sounds good, with something like the old
Audio Alchemy boxes or the Entech?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Ian McLean wrote:
Thanks, I considered these, but all of the instruments in Gigastudio are @
24/96 so that's what I really want.

Well, the Benchmark box sounds pretty good, and it isn't outrageously
expensive.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ian McLean

$975! That's about double the cost of the ESI ESP1010! Reasonable for high
end but not this sort of application.

Ian McLean wrote:
Thanks, I considered these, but all of the instruments in Gigastudio are @
24/96 so that's what I really want.

Well, the Benchmark box sounds pretty good, and it isn't outrageously
expensive.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Ian McLean wrote:
$975! That's about double the cost of the ESI ESP1010! Reasonable for high
end but not this sort of application.

This is sort of mid-range gear. It's not high end by any means, but it's
not MI-store stuff either. And it sounds pretty good.

If you want to go cheap, you're probably going to have to forgo either the
96 ksamp/sec operation, or the sound quality. Personally I'd pick a
16/44.1 unit that sounded good over a 24/96 unit that didn't, but that's
just me.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Predrag Trpkov

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Personally I'd pick a
16/44.1 unit that sounded good over a 24/96 unit that didn't, but that's
just me.

What 16/44.1 converters would you recommend, both A/D and D/A?

Predrag

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Predrag Trpkov wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Personally I'd pick a
16/44.1 unit that sounded good over a 24/96 unit that didn't, but that's
just me.

What 16/44.1 converters would you recommend, both A/D and D/A?

In the cheap range, there are a lot of high-end audiophile home D/A
units out there that sell used for next to nothing. You can get an
Entech for $200 on Ebay. You can get the better Audio Alchemy units
for the price of postage if you look around. The Krell was also an
impressive one.

None of these are as clean sounding as the latest generation of high-end
units, and for that reason the audiophile community (which is very much
subject to fads) has dumped a lot of these at very low prices. They are
all excellent deals. Oh yes, and they all have only unbalanced outputs
if that's an issue. But they'll all beat out the MI store junk, at
similar prices.

As far as inexpensive ADC units go, your choices are a lot more limited
now. There isn't the glut on the market of the last-generation state of
the art stuff selling cheaply.... units like the Ultra Analog based
Manley units still sell for very good money in spite of being a couple
generations behind the curve. But the previous generation of Benchmark
and RME gear is out there at decent prices even if the Prism and
db Technologies stuff is still expensive on the used market.