Posted to rec.audio.pro
Zooper

Default Opinions: Valve Mics - Audio Technica AT4060 or Rode K2?

Hi ... I'd greatly appreciate any input you might have..

I'm running a DAW with Neve/Amek preamp, looking for a 'nice' mic for
primarily vocal use (in an iso booth of course).

I'm hesitant to shell out excessive cash on a Neumann or Soundelux, so the
AT4060 or Rode K2 *seem* like viable options/alternatives. Any further
suggestions would be great!

I've specified valve mics here as I'd like a bit of 'warmth' to complement
my solid state signal chain/DAW.. and modern valve mics seem pretty easy on
the noise levels.

Ideally I want something that will sound 'present' in the mix, whereby
whispering levels sound like it's straight in your ear, and normal to
screaming levels are pretty much right without much EQing.

Thoughts? Cross-comparisons? Opinions? Alternatives?

Thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Nafe

Also look at SE mics

http://www.seelectronics.com/

"Zooper" wrote in message
Hi ... I'd greatly appreciate any input you might have..

I'm running a DAW with Neve/Amek preamp, looking for a 'nice' mic for
primarily vocal use (in an iso booth of course).

I'm hesitant to shell out excessive cash on a Neumann or Soundelux, so the
AT4060 or Rode K2 *seem* like viable options/alternatives. Any further
suggestions would be great!

I've specified valve mics here as I'd like a bit of 'warmth' to complement
my solid state signal chain/DAW.. and modern valve mics seem pretty easy
on the noise levels.

Ideally I want something that will sound 'present' in the mix, whereby
whispering levels sound like it's straight in your ear, and normal to
screaming levels are pretty much right without much EQing.

Thoughts? Cross-comparisons? Opinions? Alternatives?

Thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 06:49:04 -0500, Don Nafe wrote
(in article ):

Also look at SE mics

http://www.seelectronics.com/

"Zooper" wrote in message
Hi ... I'd greatly appreciate any input you might have..

I'm running a DAW with Neve/Amek preamp, looking for a 'nice' mic for
primarily vocal use (in an iso booth of course).

I'm hesitant to shell out excessive cash on a Neumann or Soundelux, so the
AT4060 or Rode K2 *seem* like viable options/alternatives. Any further
suggestions would be great!

I've specified valve mics here as I'd like a bit of 'warmth' to complement
my solid state signal chain/DAW.. and modern valve mics seem pretty easy
on the noise levels.

Ideally I want something that will sound 'present' in the mix, whereby
whispering levels sound like it's straight in your ear, and normal to
screaming levels are pretty much right without much EQing.

Thoughts? Cross-comparisons? Opinions? Alternatives?

Thanks!

Don't bother with SE. Go right to the 4060.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Predrag Trpkov

"Zooper" wrote in message
Hi ... I'd greatly appreciate any input you might have..

I'm running a DAW with Neve/Amek preamp, looking for a 'nice' mic for
primarily vocal use (in an iso booth of course).

I'm hesitant to shell out excessive cash on a Neumann or Soundelux, so the
AT4060 or Rode K2 *seem* like viable options/alternatives. Any further
suggestions would be great!

I've specified valve mics here as I'd like a bit of 'warmth' to complement
my solid state signal chain/DAW.. and modern valve mics seem pretty easy

on
the noise levels.

Define "warmth".

Ideally I want something that will sound 'present' in the mix, whereby
whispering levels sound like it's straight in your ear, and normal to
screaming levels are pretty much right without much EQing.

Warmth & presence - the holy grail.

You might have to revise your somewhat contradicting expectations and roll
up your sleeves. Getting it to sound right often involves more than just
sticking a microphone in front of a vocalist, especially if it's the single
microphone
used for different vocalists and styles.

If you don't have a choice of mics and preamps - you've mentioned screaming
so I'd add compressors to the list of tools - you might find it crucial to
experiment extensively with the mic placement. Closer or further, from above
or below, sideways.... pointing not only at the mouth, but nose, chest and
elsewhere... all different sounds, different ratios of warmth and presence.

Thoughts? Cross-comparisons? Opinions? Alternatives?

Try a transformer-based mic preamp for "warmth" before you spend any money
on a tube microphone.

Predrag

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

In article ,
Zooper wrote:
Hi ... I'd greatly appreciate any input you might have..

I'm running a DAW with Neve/Amek preamp, looking for a 'nice' mic for
primarily vocal use (in an iso booth of course).

I'm hesitant to shell out excessive cash on a Neumann or Soundelux, so the
AT4060 or Rode K2 *seem* like viable options/alternatives. Any further
suggestions would be great!

I've specified valve mics here as I'd like a bit of 'warmth' to complement
my solid state signal chain/DAW.. and modern valve mics seem pretty easy on
the noise levels.

Ideally I want something that will sound 'present' in the mix, whereby
whispering levels sound like it's straight in your ear, and normal to
screaming levels are pretty much right without much EQing.

EV RE-27. Much more forward sounding (due to the presence peak) than
the RE-20. Sounds good off-mike, which makes it handy for people with
a lot of dynamic range that tend to back off on loud passages.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Predrag Trpkov

"Ty Ford" wrote in message

Don't bother with SE. Go right to the 4060.

Ty Ford

I love the 4060, but it's a difficult microphone to sell to people who
believe in existence of so called tube sound.

The fact that its price in the U.S. is just over a half of what it costs in
Europe only adds to the confusion.

Predrag

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Agent 86

Don Nafe wrote:

Also look at SE mics

Look at 'em if you must, but don't buy one.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Agent 86

Predrag Trpkov wrote:

Define "warmth".

Thermal energy. AKA "heat". The stuff that comes off of the filaments of a
vacuum tube. Sure, there's other ways to get it. But it's hard to find a
gas stove with phantom power.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Agent 86 wrote:
Predrag Trpkov wrote:

Define "warmth".

Thermal energy. AKA "heat". The stuff that comes off of the filaments of a
vacuum tube. Sure, there's other ways to get it. But it's hard to find a
gas stove with phantom power.

My B&K mikes have 5W resistors in them that you can power remotely to keep
condensation down in humid weather. They are very warm, sometimes bloody
hot, even.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Zooper

Thanks everyone...

Well I'm leaning towards the AT4060 now.. but a bit concerned about it's
self-noise, which seems worse than the Rode K2.

Anyone experience excessive noise with the 4060?

Also a question on prices... I'm wondering why this mic is so much cheaper
than everywhere else, including Japan where it's made!!!! Like significantly
cheaper.. basically half.

cheers

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Zooper wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 07:42:38 -0500, Zooper wrote
(in article ):

Thanks everyone...

Well I'm leaning towards the AT4060 now.. but a bit concerned about it's
self-noise, which seems worse than the Rode K2.

Anyone experience excessive noise with the 4060?

Also a question on prices... I'm wondering why this mic is so much cheaper
than everywhere else, including Japan where it's made!!!! Like significantly
cheaper.. basically half.

cheers

I reviewed it a while back check the online archives on my site from mic
reviews.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Zooper wrote:

I'm hesitant to shell out excessive cash on a Neumann or Soundelux, so the
AT4060 or Rode K2 *seem* like viable options/alternatives. Any further
suggestions would be great!

I've specified valve mics here as I'd like a bit of 'warmth' to complement
my solid state signal chain/DAW.. and modern valve mics seem pretty easy on
the noise levels.

Just having a tube in your mic (or preamp or soudn card) doesn't by
itself make anything warm except perhaps your fingers if you touch it.
Nor does buying a Neumann or Soundelux necessarily assure that you'll
get the sound that you want. You just have to try these things with
your sources and your kind of music and pick what works best for you.

Buy something, try it, and if you like what it does, keep it. If you
don't like it, return it and try something else. Most dealers will work
with you on finding the sound you're lookiing for. Both the AT 4060
and the Rode K2 have their fans, and for good reason. Will you be one?
You'll neer know until you try.

Make friends with a dealer, even if it's a mail-order dealer.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Fraser

I'm hesitant to shell out excessive cash on a Neumann or Soundelux,

Well, it's only excessive if you feel the sound result is not worth the
price. Nobody can decide the cost/value issue for you, but consider the
fact that EVERY major studio in the world has a significant investment
in Neumann mics. Also, consider that there are a number of microphones
which do not contain a valve which will give you what you would most
likely define as "warmth" & "presence" just as there are many mics
which do contain a valve which will not.

Scott Fraser

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Predrag Trpkov

"Zooper" wrote in message
Thanks everyone...

Well I'm leaning towards the AT4060 now.. but a bit concerned about it's
self-noise, which seems worse than the Rode K2.

Specs are often deceiving. I can't imagine it being a problem for you.

I'm remixing some stuff I recorded several years ago, while I was using the
original version of Rode Classic for main vocals. It was a noise generator
compared to the AT 4060, or Rode Classic II for that matter, and yet nothing
is bothering me at all. Not even during a capella passages.

Anyone experience excessive noise with the 4060?

Also a question on prices... I'm wondering why this mic is so much cheaper
than everywhere else, including Japan where it's made!!!! Like

significantly
cheaper.. basically half.

Enjoy it while you can.

Predrag

Posted to rec.audio.pro
HKC

I have the Røde NTK (which supposedly became multipatterned and renamed K2)
and I have used the 4060 on numerous occasions. The fact is they are both
great and I would find it hard to choose between them. Like I said, I only
know the NTK so this may not go for the K2 but it seems to have a slight
boost in the high mid which makes it very easy to use on almost any vocal.
Anyway I would buy the cheapest of the two because in my mind they both have
equal strenths.
For the SE thing, I tested the early 5500 which sounded great for speech and
soft vocals but distorted when pressured so it was not for me and it did
seem a bit fragile. It does seem that they have improved a lot since then
though because tests of the one called Gemini have been unusually positive
so I doubt that all the negative posts concerning these mics is based on
experience, not with their new line anyway.
I recently borrowed a Neumann 147 and it sounded great, and better than my
NTK. The question is, did it sound a lot better, enough to justify the
price-difference. To me, maybe but if it wasn't because my clients sometimes
ask for a Neumann, I would be more than happy just to use the NTK and on
most occasions it simply wouldn't matter because they both sound very very
good. One sounds a tad better than the other but it costs 3-4 times as much.

PS remember that many rock'n roll singers use a SM57 for vocals because it
just sounds right.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roger W. Norman

You've left off your website in your sig of late, Ty. It might be helpful
if you tell them where you're excellent reviews are.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
"Ty Ford" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 07:42:38 -0500, Zooper wrote
(in article ):

Thanks everyone...

Well I'm leaning towards the AT4060 now.. but a bit concerned about it's
self-noise, which seems worse than the Rode K2.

Anyone experience excessive noise with the 4060?

Also a question on prices... I'm wondering why this mic is so much

cheaper
than everywhere else, including Japan where it's made!!!! Like

significantly
cheaper.. basically half.

cheers

I reviewed it a while back check the online archives on my site from mic
reviews.

Regards,

Ty Ford

-- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other

audiocentric
stuff are at www.tyford.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark

SE: Good recommendation - I bought two SE Z5600 Valve mics as soon as I
plugged them in. I won't do another record without them. They are my go to
male vocal mics..consistant beat my Neumann U87ai...

Rode has never done it for me-I have had almost everything they make.

The AT 4060 is a super mic.

Mark

Mark

. ..