Posted to rec.audio.pro
krispoulin

Default Otari 5050 4-track mod?

I just picked up an MX-5050 MkIII 1/2" 4-track (super cheap) and didn't
realize until I put an MRL tape on it that the High speed is only 7.5
ips. Is there a reasonably simple and affordable modification that can
be made to make it operate at 15 ips?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

krispoulin wrote:
I just picked up an MX-5050 MkIII 1/2" 4-track (super cheap) and didn't
realize until I put an MRL tape on it that the High speed is only 7.5
ips. Is there a reasonably simple and affordable modification that can
be made to make it operate at 15 ips?

That's weird. So what is the low speed set to?

1/2" 4-track 7.5 ips was a very common format for bin mastering tapes,
but you should be able to have the low speed set up for 7.5 and the high
speed for 15 and still make bin masters. So I am not sure why anyone
would set a machine up for 3 3/4/7.5 half-inch 4 offhand.

I'm not sure if it's a matter of just moving jumpers or if there are
resistor changes required on this machine as well. But the service manual
should tell you.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
William Sommerwerck

I'd have to pull out the service manual to check, but I'm pretty sure the
machine was shipped with a default speed setting of 15 and 7.5.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
krispoulin

"That's weird."

My words precisely!

I have no interest in bin masters; just makin' records on a 1/2"
4-track at 15 ips, but I certainly greatly appreciate the info, Scott.
I'm hoping it's as easy as moving jumpers, but I have no service manual
for this machine. I do have one for my 5050 1/2" 8-track and will
check that. I wonder if the info in that manual will be applicable to
this 4-track machine, which is slightly different in a few ways. For
one, it has built in mic pre-amps... but I digress.

Thanks!

Kris Poulin
Chicago, IL

Posted to rec.audio.pro
krispoulin

I forgot to answer: The low speed is set to 3.75 ips.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
krispoulin

I do not have the manual for this particular machine, so any info you
could provide regarding changing this machine to have a High speed of
15ips would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

Kris Poulin
Chicago, IL

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

krispoulin wrote:

I have no interest in bin masters; just makin' records on a 1/2"
4-track at 15 ips, but I certainly greatly appreciate the info, Scott.
I'm hoping it's as easy as moving jumpers, but I have no service manual
for this machine. I do have one for my 5050 1/2" 8-track and will
check that. I wonder if the info in that manual will be applicable to
this 4-track machine, which is slightly different in a few ways. For
one, it has built in mic pre-amps... but I digress.

Get the service manual. It's not going to be a difficult thing to change;
at worst you'll need to change some resistors or capacitors for EQ constants
on the boards. At best it'll be a jumper change and a realignment. But
you really need the service manual.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Reid Rejsa

I seem to remember that there is a switch under one of the side panels
that selects either 3.75/7.5 or 7.5/15 i.p.s. It'll be a little buried
inside the machine. I don't think all of the 5050's have this, but some
do. I hope this helps.

Reid

In article . com,
"krispoulin" wrote:

I just picked up an MX-5050 MkIII 1/2" 4-track (super cheap) and didn't
realize until I put an MRL tape on it that the High speed is only 7.5
ips. Is there a reasonably simple and affordable modification that can
be made to make it operate at 15 ips?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Justin Ulysses Morse

I do remember that there is a speed range switch inside the MX5050 that
works in conjunction with the front panel speed button. I don't
remember where it is, but if you find it in the manual for your
1/2"8-track you will probably find it in the same spot on your 4-track
machine.

ulysses