Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default upgrade cd player or amplifier

Hello everyone,

One month ago i bought new "monitor audio gold 20" speakers.
After an month they were "burn-in". The speakers sound very good.
But the soundstage is not as wide and deep as i aspected.
Now i'm considering to upgrade the amp or cd-player.

What can make the best improvement in sound ? ( cd-player or
amplifier)
I like good imaging and a "black blackround".

Anny suggestions for an good cd-player or amplifier in combination with
this speakers?

I'm thinking of primare of cyrus

My system consist of the following :
amp : rotel ra-980bx
cd-player : rotel rcd-971
speakers : monitor audio gold 20
wire : Nordost blue heaven

Best regards,
Rene
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Both Mike and Chung have great points... speaker placement is key. The
VERY BASIC rule of thumb, all other things being equal (and they seldom
are), speakers should be placed on the long wall of the listening room,
with the woofer being no closer to a wall or floor than 4X its
diameter, and asymmetrically... that is not equidistant from each
corner. There are exceptions to this, of course. Tower speakers are
tuned already for the woofer-to-floor relationship, but the corner
placement remains. Some speakers (horn-types especially) are designed
for corner placement.

Your speakers are tower-speakers, so your reference would be the wall.
They look like 6.5" nominal woofers, so here is an example:

Assume a 14 x 16 foot room. (3 x 5 meters). On the LONG (16 foot) wall,
speaker one (LEFT) should be on the left-as-you-face-it, placed with
its left side no less than 60cm from the wall. Speaker two (RIGHT)
should be placed with its right side ~4-5 meters from the RIGHT wall.
This is the theoretical ideal placement from a strictly-physics
point-of-view and based on avoiding standing waves and cancellation
waves assuming a normally live room with parallel walls, floor and
ceiling. THE "IDEAL" PLACEMENT IS SELDOM THE "CORRECT" PLACEMENT, as
few rooms are otherwise ideal. But it is a good place for you to start.
What you must keep in mind at all times is that the towers must not get
any closer than ~30cm/22 inches to the wall. And that they must not be
symmetrical about the centerline of the room. If the speakers are
designed to be against the wall, then they should be against the wall.
If they are designed to be some distance away from the wall, then that
is where they should be... all that will be in the owner's manual. But
the side-to-side placement is critical for soundstage and general
ambience.

One more thing: Are you sure that they are 'in phase'? You would be
shocked to know how many times speakers are described as unsatisfactory
due to mis-phasing rather than actual speaker inadequacies. Check that
_before_ you do anything else.

Now, all other things being equal, and assuming that the speakers are
as well-placed as they are going to be, I would have to ask you a
couple of questions before blaming either the electronics or the CD
player:

What sort of music do you listen to most, and at what level?
What else is going on in the room (furniture, windows, wall hangings,
etc.)?
How big is the room (in all dimensions)?
What are your expectations from these speakers?
What are you comparing (what were/are your previous speakers)?

Put simply, no 6.5" woofer-equipped speaker will have the visceral
punch of a speaker with a 12" woofer. It may make up for it in many
other ways, but the ability to rattle the windows simply will not
happen. And, unless you listen to either highly compressed sources at
relatively high volumes, or sources with a peak-to-average of over
30dB, also at relatively high volumes, 100wpc/rms should be enough for
most purposes. CD players are much the same one-to-another unless you
get into nosebleed $ territory with fewer chips and more discrete
components in the signal path... and even there, the D/A converters
are chips also much the same one-to-another. Interconnects and speaker
cables are irrelevant at this level. With a little more information, we
could hone in a little more closely, however.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Thank you for your answers.

I have tried it with different speaker positions. Now the speaker is 60
cm from the rear wall and approximately 100 cm from the side walls. The
speakers have a distance of 250 cm betweem each other. This is the best
i can get. The sound is very flat.

Rene

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Steven Sullivan

wrote:
Both Mike and Chung have great points... speaker placement is key. The
VERY BASIC rule of thumb, all other things being equal (and they seldom
are), speakers should be placed on the long wall of the listening room,

You mean *firing down* the long wall, which would mean placement of
the speakers in front of a 'short' wall, right?

Hmm, I guess you don;t.

--
-S
"The most appealing intuitive argument for atheism is the mindblowing stupidity of religious
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
mike

wrote:

are chips also much the same one-to-another. Interconnects and speaker
cables are irrelevant at this level. With a little more information, we
could hone in a little more closely, however.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

I'm one of those audiophile fools who DOES NOT belive in all the snake
oil hype. I got into the hobby 32 years ago while I was still playing
the violin. I learned how to build loudspeakers.
However!
I did a test one weekend. There is a definite difference in sound on two
levels.
Interconnects: Replaced my RAT Shack Gold interconnects with some Audio
research interconnects. No difference. Took a trip to my LOCAL Pro Audio
Shop. Purchased 2 sets of higer end generic interconnects. One was an
..8mm diameter wire with locking WTB RCA plugs, the second was a .6mm
diameter wire with heavy machined gold plugs. The .6mm was much more
open with my setup. The .8 was slightly veiled making the mids a little
muffled. And yes they were amazingly better than my previous choices.

Speaker Wi At one point a difference can be heard
I have done all the DIY with cat5 wire, monster wire,etc,etc. Standard
12 gauge stranded copper, oxygen free copper,etc etc.
Purchased a set of PS Audio AudioX Streams BI-wire from the Audio
Advisor because from $1100 list to $350.00 (returnable if unhappy) it
was worth a test. WOW!!! Thats all I can say. They did effect sound
stage significantly as well a detail.

A good test album for sound stage is Duke Ellingtons 3 Suites both on
Vinyl and CD.( jazz versions of the Nutcracker suites) If your system is
working right you can actually hear the 3 or 4 levels of the big band
musicians on stage.

System Configeration right now is
Music Hall MM7 with Shure V15vXmr cart.
Rega Jupiter CD
Tascam 32 reel to reel
Audio Research SP9
PrimaLuna Prolog 5 Amp
headphone are Seinheiser HD414 (pro audio set)
Speakers are Lynn Olsens Ariel 5s ( 4 set of ariels i've built)
Thank you
Mike M
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

You mean *firing down* the long wall, which would mean placement of
the speakers in front of a 'short' wall, right?

Placing speakers on the short wall of a room is an invitation for
standing waves and cancellation waves. The narrower the room in
relation to the length, the greater the odds for standing waves. The
closer the speakers are together (and the more symmetrical they are
about the room axis perforce) the greater the odds for cancellation
waves.

Once again, a caution: Physics is _one_ parameter for speaker
placement, not the _only_ parameter. It is simply a way to start the
experiment but does not dictate the final placement entirely.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Norman M. Schwartz

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
Both Mike and Chung have great points... speaker placement is key. The
VERY BASIC rule of thumb, all other things being equal (and they seldom
are), speakers should be placed on the long wall of the listening room,

Here as my "rule of thumb": Place your speakers that they form an
equilateral triangle with your listening position as the "center" point. The
distance between the speakers should be exactly equal to their distance to
your listening position. If you use large panel speakers (as I do), choose a
point on the speaker, e.g.. tweeter, framework, etc. as the measuring point.
I keep my Maggies more than 3 feet from either their side or back walls.
I've seen it recommended that a Maggie woofer might be placed close to a
side wall for bass reinforcement, so all this business about such distances
can vary according to the room and speaker in question. However in all my
listening experience the equilateral triangle "law" was and is extremely
important. You have to get the distances down *exactly*; use a tape measure
or a rigid string to achieve the correct distance. Your speakers can be toed
in such that the left speaker aims and fires at your left ear and the same
of course for the other speaker and your right ear. The tweeter/midrange
should be at a height off the floor so that is at ear level, or higher(when
you are seated). Only after you have all that accomplished should you even
start to consider dedicated electrical lines, cabling, speaker wires,
connectors, contact enhancers, etc. etc. And after all that is attended to
you might even hear differences between CD players and amplifiers depending
upon how vivid your imagination might be.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Norman M. Schwartz

wrote in message ...
Thank you for your answers.

I have tried it with different speaker positions. Now the speaker is 60
cm from the rear wall and approximately 100 cm from the side walls. The
speakers have a distance of 250 cm betweem each other. This is the best
i can get. The sound is very flat.

Each speaker should be 250 cm to your ears, and the sound may be better
still.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Mike:

....wires & interconnects....

I would not choose to argue with your statements above. But all other
things being equal, we are searching for the proximate cause of Rene's
distress with his new speakers. If he was not unhappy with his old
ones, the cables would not be to blame. It is also unlikely that the
soundstage would be affected in any significant way assuming even just
adequate cables. Hence my statement that that such are "not relevant at
this level".

From Rene's description, the only change to the system was the
speakers. So that is where we should start. And only after optimizing
around the speakers should we discuss other aspects of the system. Were
I to be forced to render an
opinion-at-a-distance-with-little-evidence, I would expect that
ultimately, Rene will not be happy with these speakers. This is a
purely-intuitive opinion. Let's see what happens and if he will tell
us. But before he spends any money on "better" electronics, he should
explore additional speaker options... once again, just my opinion.

As to my systems, they are pretty-much Jurassic-vintage:
AR3a speakers
Revox CD
Dynaco 416 amp
Revox R/R
Revox TT
Koss Electrostatic headphones
Revox A720 tuner-pre-amp.

-Or-

AR-M6 speakers
Scott LK-150 Amp
Dynaco PAS-3 pre-amp (WIMA rebuild)
Dynaco FM-3 tuner
Philips CD Changer

Office:
AR-A10 Receiver
Yamaha CDC585 changer
AR4x speakers

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
mike

Norman M. Schwartz wrote:
[...]

One thing not discussed is actual direction of speaker firing. The toe
in effects width of sound stage. Some speakers do better with less toe
and and others with more. Tipping speakers forward or backwards slightly
so that the tweeters fire directly at the listen space instead of over
your head will effect the height of the sound stage. Distance from
listen space to speakers will greatly effect sound stage. Giving a
decent amount of room in front of the system is equally important as
side and rear placement.
Mike M
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
mike

wrote:

Mike:

...wires & interconnects....

I would not choose to argue with your statements above. But all other
things being equal, we are searching for the proximate cause of Rene's
distress with his new speakers. If he was not unhappy with his old
ones, the cables would not be to blame. It is also unlikely that the
soundstage would be affected in any significant way assuming even just
adequate cables. Hence my statement that that such are "not relevant at
this level".

From Rene's description, the only change to the system was the
[...]

One important thing. Not all amps and speakers are compatable. It's
the nature of electronics. Some speakers sound better driven by tube
amps and other sound better driven by SS amps.
The Ariels are an example of speakers designed for tube amps. I used
them originally with a Luxman MO2/CO2 power amp/preamp set and they were
missing just that little something. When I connected them up to 2 dynaco
st-70's they came to life. 2 MK3's really added that extra oompf.
As I suggested, it's the nature of electronics.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

One important thing. Not all amps and speakers are compatable.

This is absolutely correct (as opposed to "true") at so many levels,
none of which is prima-fascia "logical". One more thing to add to the
mix is that the individual listener will determine that compatibility,
not the 'scope and distortion meters. We hear what we want to hear in
the short term (and why buying speakers from an experience in a
listening room is such an 'iffy' ordeal), but we cannot get away from
what we hear at home in the long term. The combination of speakers and
electronics can cause all sorts of artifacts that are superficially
inaudible, largely unmeasurable but often and eventually intolerable.
Typically, I blame the speakers in most cases, assuming decent
electronics. Certainly, I have no deep-seated commitment to tubes or
transistors to the exclusion of one-to-another, my mix of systems
includes several-of-both. But they are substantially different from
each other and deliver substantially different possibilities to the
speakers I have. My direct experiences are that at low to moderate
listening levels, tubes and transistors are functionally identical. At
moderate to some-higher listening levels, just before clipping that is,
transistors tend to be flatter assuming an adequate power-supply.
At/above clipping, tubes have it hands-down. This is assuming that all
things are otherwise equal. But a 200+ watt power amp (such as my
Dynaco 416) will blow the socks off a typical 60-75 watt tube amp on
difficult passages, or with sources with a very high peak-to-average
sound level. At that level, it is all about headroom.

But, in sum, I have found that speakers are where the greatest
challenges lie. At the general quality-of-electronics discussed here,
the only significant variable is available power, most everything
mentioned is either good, very good or excellent in all other respects.
So if one is wedded to the electronics, the remaining area for
investigation is speaker type.

I will take something of a chance here and go into murkey waters. If I
were to have a bundle of money today and were told to go out and get a
traditional stereo system consisting of two speakers, some form of
electronics or receiver, and some form of additional source(s), I would
likely start with my preferred source and style of music. That would
drive the type of speakers I required. Today, they are the single most
expensive item, usually, if any sort of full audio range is to be
achieved, when in the past, a decent pair of speakers could be had for
$100 or less (the AR4x in its day, for example). From the speakers,
that would drive the amplifier power I needed (example, if my music
commonly includes 30dB peak-to-average source (and it does), and I
listened at an average level of 0.4 watts/RMS, I would need 400
watts/rms to handle the peak passages without clipping. Aren't
"physics" a bear to deal with? And if I do have an (at least one)
irrational failing in these things, it is that "clipping is bad". Tubes
or otherwise.

Thoughts?
How would you do it?

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Yikes! YIKES!

Norman:

You *must* have a dedicated listening room such that you are able to
follow that rule so assiduously. I am not so sure as to whether the
method you described to get the results that Rene wishes to achieve at
the distances you specify does not entirely defeat the concept of
listening for pleasure. In my entire life, I have never had a dedicated
listening room, but have always adjusted the system to fit into the
room available, the other furnishings required and the need to make my
wife happy. For the last 20 years, we have lived in a Victorian house
with Victorian furnishings in the living room. Accordingly, my tower
speakers moved to another room upstairs and were replaced with AR3a
speakers, which even when raised to the proper height are not
intrusive, can be used as plant-stands (with the proper protection, of
course) and sound very, very good with enough power. My wife _does_
appreciate music enough to understand how they must be placed in the
room (lots of hard surfaces, so standing waves could be an issue with
careless placement). She allowed me to do the set-up without once
grumbling about where the couch will go and how it looks compared to
the Palladian Window. But the electronics are relegated to a very
elegant oak table-with-shelf in one corner that is partially concealed
by a chair. The speaker cables go under the floor.

We listen "all over the room", not just at one point. Pretty much
anywhere opposite the speakers is satisfactory, the 'sweet-spot' is
about 8 feet wide, about 8 feet deep, so about 64 square feet, ~1/4 the
total area of the room. So, consider it the functional equivalent of
rows 5-20 in the typical concert hall. Put very bluntly, I would not
tolerate anything more restricted than that. I most certainly would not
tolerate a sweet-spot that was ~one cubic foot such that there were
audible losses outside of that region. So the speakers must be both
capable of filling that room _and_ provide sufficient articulation and
definition such that it sounds natural as one changes position, just as
if one were changing positions at a concert or night-club. Usually,
that takes a LOT of power as speakers with those capacities tend (not
necessarily always are) to be inefficient, sometimes massively so as in
the case of the ARs. As I have the power, I take advantage of those
speaker designs for those capabilities.

Whenever I hear the term "exactly" as applied to a requirement for
anything in the audio world I get the cold shivers...

As always, just my opinion.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Steven Sullivan

mike wrote:
wrote:

Mike:

...wires & interconnects....

I would not choose to argue with your statements above. But all other
things being equal, we are searching for the proximate cause of Rene's
distress with his new speakers. If he was not unhappy with his old
ones, the cables would not be to blame. It is also unlikely that the
soundstage would be affected in any significant way assuming even just
adequate cables. Hence my statement that that such are "not relevant at
this level".

From Rene's description, the only change to the system was the
[...]

Hmm. What is it about a loudspeaker that would make it perform better
with tube amps than solid state amps?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Thank all for the answers.

This weekend i'am going to experience with speaker placement.
Maybe the " equilateral triangle law" will work for me.

Rene
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

stealthaxe wrote:
The narrower the room in
relation to the length, the greater the odds for standing waves.

Standing waves occur when sound is reflected with a certain phase
relationship to the original. It doesn't matter whether it's a side wall
or a back wall, what matters is how reflective the wall is at the
frequency in question and whether that wall causes a phase inversion or
not

The wall does not cause a phase inversion, unless the density
of the wall is less than the density of air, in which case, you don't
have a wall.

When a wave passes from a low density medium (like air) into a
high-density medium, you get the same phase on the reflected
wave that you have on the incident wave. Given that all reflecting
surfaces one is likely to encounter in a room have substantially
higher density than that of air (about 1.18 kg/m^2), it's pretty safe
to say that this rule applies universally. Even considering very low
denisity material like rigid foam insulation, their density is easily
an order of magnitude greater than air. Water, for example,
is 850 times denser than air at STP.

On the other hand, when the wave passes from a high-density
medium (like water) into a low desnity medium (like air), you
do get the phase inversion on the reflected wave. Thus, phase
inversion is a problem if you're a fish in an aquarium and you
place your speakers next to the surface of the water :-)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Norman M. Schwartz

wrote in message ...
Yikes! YIKES!

Norman:

You *must* have a dedicated listening room such that you are able to
follow that rule so assiduously.

I do.

I am not so sure as to whether the
method you described to get the results that Rene wishes to achieve at
the distances you specify does not entirely defeat the concept of
listening for pleasure. In my entire life, I have never had a dedicated
listening room, but have always adjusted the system to fit into the
room available

Well set it up so temporarily to hear what you might be missing. I don't
believ there is much use in chasing your tail with upgrades and wires, etc.
if the basiscs are compromised

[...]

Putting it very bluntly what you require is a good shelf system which I have
in a bedroom for casual listening while I'm putting my laundry away.

Usually,
that takes a LOT of power as speakers with those capacities tend (not
necessarily always are) to be inefficient, sometimes massively so as in
the case of the ARs. As I have the power, I take advantage of those
speaker designs for those capabilities.

I owned AR3s thirty-five years ago and you don't have to be so picky about
your electronics, etc. they are not particularly revealing (of much) and are
"forgiving".
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
mike

Steven Sullivan wrote:
mike wrote:

wrote:

Mike:

...wires & interconnects....

I would not choose to argue with your statements above. But all other
things being equal, we are searching for the proximate cause of Rene's
distress with his new speakers. If he was not unhappy with his old
ones, the cables would not be to blame. It is also unlikely that the
soundstage would be affected in any significant way assuming even just
adequate cables. Hence my statement that that such are "not relevant at
this level".

From Rene's description, the only change to the system was the
[...]

I'm no expert. As Peter mentioned above, many speakers require a lot of
power to drive. The Luxman MO2 put out 400 w peak i believe and when I
began my speaker building journey, most systems I built were in the low
efficiency range ( sub 89bd/1 watt} . These amps were well suited to
lower efficiency speakers and had the "head room" to handle the peaks
with room to spare.

What I have experienced and read indicates that lets say 91 db/1 watt
and above systems do much better with tubes. Contrary to all
measurements and theories and test data on amplifiers, tubes still bring
something into the mix that can not be duplicated with SS and this is
more apparent with higher efficiency loudspeakers. The human brain hears
something different.

If you look at the history of AMP and Loudspeaker design, you will see
that as SS became more popular, so did lower efficiency loudspeakers.

I do not consider myself a lunatic when it comes to which sound better,
SS ot tubes. I have heard some amazing SS systems at clients homes (
i'm a cabinetmaker}. My journey of listening pleasure as lead me over 34
years to settle on tube audio electronics. And I do spend 10 to 20
hours a week listening to music. I usually am asleep on the couch
with-in 2 or 3 tracks. My listen space is our living room in our 1100
sq. foot canyon home located in the hills of Los Angeles.

Mike Mueller
My wife understands how important good reproduction is to me and has
tolerated my hobby for 20 years.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

That's actually a completely false statement.

What is a "standing wave"? It is a propagation of sound at (usually) a
pretty wide set of frequencies based _ONLY_ on the size, shape and
layout of the room in question. The classic form of "standing wave"
would be that which is experienced in certain circular and
dome-ceilinged rooms... such as the US Capitol, for one. In that
particular location, one may stand at any point in the rotunda just
below the spring-line of the dome and speak into the wall from a
distance of about 18 inches to about 3 feet. Approximately 180 degrees
from that location, a listener will hear exactly what you say at
approximately the same volume as you are speaking... you would have to
shout to reach across directly. _THAT_ is a standing wave.

Let's apply that to rectangular rooms:

a) Standing waves require parallel surfaces at some distance apart
relative to distance-of-propagation. Typically, the length should be
longer than the height, usually at a factor somewhere between 2:1 and
3:1. If the other pair of walls is also parallel, that can exacerbate
the propagation.
b) Standing waves, if possible based on room dimensions, are typically
not single-frequency, but a pretty broad range of base frequencies and
multiples based on the mix that happens to have a wavelength that fits
into the room dimensions evenly. Speech-based frequencies tend to be
fairly short, so even small rectangular rooms with exaggerated
long-to-short dimensions may be subject to them. Such as shower
stalls... and why singing in them can be so strange, and why you may
sound good but your wife/husband who is significantly taller/shorter
may not.
c) Standing waves will propagate based on speaker placement _AND_
frequency mix. The odds of getting that critical 2:1 (or so)
length-to-height are greater when the speakers are placed on the short
wall firing down the full length of the room. Think of a shower stall,
essentially you are singing at the top of a tube. Would you place your
speakers at the end of a tube? Up/down-side/side is not the issue, room
dimensions are the issue.

Now, I have no great need to be correct in this matter. But I do invite
anyone here to try speaker placement based on the long wall _and_ the
short wall, and from that determine which placement gives you:

1. The broader soundstage
2. The largest sweet-spot
3. The most realistic relationship between where you sit and where you
perceive the orchestra/instrument/voice
4. The placement that gives you the most flexibility to listen to your
music and be seduced and take in by it.

Once again, I will venture into OPINION... henceforth I am rendering my
opinion, not based on physics, but on my direct experience.

The sole, only and entire point of any music system is to reproduce
music to the greatest degree of accuracy possible and to the greatest
degree of user-flexibility possible. Otherwise, we should use
headphones and be done with speakers entirely, as headphones will
always be ideally placed, are generally much cheaper than speakers, and
_DO_ allow the use to be anywhere when listening, not at some fixed
location due to the limitations of the system. Add a sub-woofer for the
vibrational (and non-directional effects) and life would be complete,
right?

Listening to music should be a shared experience if desired. So a
system should allow two (or more) people to listen simultaneously
without compromising accuracy. Any system that limits the "sweet-spot"
precludes this need.

The purpose of a system is to reproduce the sound as-manufactured at
its original source, and not be limited to only very specific sorts of
music due to internal restrictions. So, if one is listening to the
Saint-Saens organ symphony, with bombard pipes at thirty-feet tall
playing simultanously with six-inch pipes... one had better be able not
only to hear both, but be able to place them in relation to each other
on the virtual sound-stage.... as much a demand on the recording side
as the playback side, by the way. Put another way, if the floor shook
at the concert hall, it had better shake similarly (if desired) at the
listening room... or the system has failed.

So, forgive me if I am inherently skeptical of certain deeply and
closely held beliefs in the audio-high-end community that seem to
require the functional equivalent of getting into the lotus-position,
facing south-south east and at a certain specific point on the planet
in order to listen to..... Anything at all.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Norman M. Schwartz

wrote in message ...
Otherwise, we should use
headphones and be done with speakers entirely, as headphones will
always be ideally placed, are generally much cheaper than speakers, and
_DO_ allow the use to be anywhere when listening, not at some fixed
location due to the limitations of the system. Add a sub-woofer for the
vibrational (and non-directional effects) and life would be complete,
right?

Wrong. Speakers allow for some room interaction (good or bad). Headphones
don't permit room interaction. Live music obviously allows fro room
interaction, e.g. refections off walls, direct and indirect sound.

Listening to music should be a shared experience if desired. So a
system should allow two (or more) people to listen simultaneously
without compromising accuracy. Any system that limits the "sweet-spot"
precludes this need.

The purpose of a system is to reproduce the sound as-manufactured at
its original source, and not be limited to only very specific sorts of
music due to internal restrictions. So, if one is listening to the
Saint-Saens organ symphony, with bombard pipes at thirty-feet tall
playing simultanously with six-inch pipes... one had better be able not
only to hear both, but be able to place them in relation to each other
on the virtual sound-stage.... as much a demand on the recording side
as the playback side, by the way.

Your speakers might as well be considered a point source in comparison to
the size of the real soundstage in the concert hall

Put another way, if the floor shook
at the concert hall, it had better shake similarly (if desired) at the
listening room... or the system has failed.

Forget about that, it isn't going to happen for any or all of the reasons I
provided above and certainly many more which I can't even begin to provide
(assuming that I could in the first place).

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Please note the interpolations:

Your speakers might as well be considered a point source in comparison to
the size of the real soundstage in the concert hall

Absolutely. Agreed. I think we may be at cross-purposes rather than
disagreeing at any substantial level. But (and there is always one of
those around):
Consider your speakers as a means to reproduce a soundstage. They are
some distance apart, the greater the distance, the wider the *possible*
virtual soundstage. At some point, however, limitations in reproduction
step in and the distance between the speakers exceeds their ability to
'stage' the music. Very early Stereo amplifiers had "Center-channel"
outputs to compensate for this phenomenon as very early stereo
recordings greatly exaggerated the effect, making each channel (when
the speakers were placed too far apart) sound like warring orchestras
playing at the same time and the same piece, but without apparent
benefit of rehearsal. Other manufacturers had "blend" settings for the
purpose.

So, a *WELL RECORDED* piece will retain a good deal of the soundstage
artifacts within it. Such that the listening experience will approach
(but not duplicate, obviously) a hall at least as it applies to the
stage. One would turn to the area of the virtual soundstage as one
would turn to various points in the orchestra as different instruments
or soloists played. And, in some very few, very well miked and very
well mixed recordings, one can even turn from where the individual
sounds come from at the same instrument... my citing of the Saint-Saens
organ symphony.

And I am glad you saw immediately the point of the headphone example
and the desire for room interaction... to provide a more natural
setting for reproduction. It was chosen to illustrate an absurdity.

Put another way, if the floor shook

at the concert hall, it had better shake similarly (if desired) at the
listening room... or the system has failed.

Forget about that, it isn't going to happen for any or all of the reasons I
provided above and certainly many more which I can't even begin to provide
(assuming that I could in the first place).

Why? With sufficiently well-designed speakers and sufficient power (and
I don't mean Cerwin Vegas faking earthquakes), getting a visceral sound
out of them should be quite within easily achieved possibilities. I can
certainly do that with my system, and not anywhere near clipping
either. Sure, it will not be able to do a cannon-shot from the 1812
overture... but vibrate my teeth... yeppers. Keep in mind that all I am
asking my system to do is fill ~2200 cubic feet of room, not a concert
hall. So, that point-source becomes quite broad when compared to a
concert hall, and the amount of actual energy required is reduced by
the inverse-square rule.

I guess either I am invincibly ignorant (and that is certainly
possible), or I have never experienced an optimum system. I have
experienced systems (including my own) that do reach out and grab me,
that do give me an eyes-closed broad sound-stage experience and that
even has a "walk-around" effect.... stage-right, stage-left if you
will. As in my situation, 2200 cubic feet _is_ the volume in question,
concentrating enough energy within that (relatively) tiny space to
approach that of a concert hall is *just* possible. And, given that
lofty goal, speaker placement becomes critical as an equation in (at
least) four variables: The speakers, the room size, the stage desired
and the sweet-spot required. I have experimented A LOT with placement,
and I have found that starting as I articulated above has yielded the
best results overall. I will also state that in one remarkable room,
the speakers wound up exactly as you suggested, symetrically about the
short wall, at about 3X the woofer diameter from the wall and sides.
But the room had no parallel surfaces, only one window, two doors,
cloth-covered walls and thick carpet. So, as I also stated, nothing is
absolute initially.

More, please. This is fascinating and I am learning a good deal.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
---MIKE---

There is a lot of discussion about pin pointing instruments on the
"stage". In a live performance, if you are sitting mid- way in the
hall, pin pointing instruments does not occur. It may be possible to
sense that the violins are to the left but I question even that. The
main advantage of stereo is to provide a spread across the room. The
efforts of recording engineers to provide pin pointing results in a lot
of unnatural sounding recordings - but this is what many listeners
expect.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Norman M. Schwartz

wrote in message ...
[...]

News flash! The structural nature (flooring, tiers, mezzanines, balconies
and all their seats, the material composition; wood cement, plaster, etc.,
etc.) and the spatial nature of the hall (vertical; things take place above
and below ear level, as well as left to right) isn't exactly like that of
your listening room.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

News flash! The structural nature (flooring, tiers, mezzanines, balconies
and all their seats, the material composition; wood cement, plaster, etc.,
etc.) and the spatial nature of the hall (vertical; things take place above
and below ear level, as well as left to right) isn't exactly like that of
your listening room.

Ya think?

WHY(!!??!!) is it that (again) the fallacy of opposites is so prevalent
here?

There is no (expletive deleted) way that a 14' x 16' x 9'-6" room with
four windows and two doors, hardwood floors and horsehair plaster walls
& ceiling will ever, even remotely, duplicate a concert hall for
acoustics. Did you know that I realized this only *just* this morning
after over 40 years of listening to music?

However, with a little bit of care, with a little bit of attention to
choices of equipment, placement of same, and EXPERIMENTATION with all
of the above to get to the best end-point.... There is NO reason why
the sound produced in that room cannot be full, gorgeous, sublime _and_
provide a virtual soundstage that, although not capable of *producing*
a like-live ambience cannot come remarkably close to it. There is no
single-solution, there are at least four variables involved even after
the equipment is chosen. If we attempt to impose a single-solution to
all situations, we will get exactly what we deserve.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Norman M. Schwartz

wrote in message ...
[...]

News flash again!
In a concert hall we listen with 2 "microphones" (our ears) spaced about 8
inches apart. With the exception of the few binaural recordings that exist,
no recordings are done by this technique. And even if
they were they wouldn't succeed. There is no solution to this reality of
life, that's just one reason of many why the sound produced in a listening
can't be expected to have a "like-live
ambiance". Just as you see "3-D" with 2 eyes just inches apart, you are not
going to see anything resembling normal "3-D" with eyes strung all over the
"(expletive deleted") concert hall. Sounds which literally cause my hall
seat to resonate, don't cause the microphones, however many there, to
resonate in the same fashion

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Norman M. Schwartz wrote:
wrote in message ...
[...]

Never heard of Blumlien?

And even if
they were they wouldn't succeed.

You might want to listen to the efforts of some recording enginees rom
the likes of Waterlily, Sheffield Labs, Reference recordings,
performance recordings etc....

There is no solution to this reality of
life, that's just one reason of many why the sound produced in a listening
can't be expected to have a "like-live
ambiance". Just as you see "3-D" with 2 eyes just inches apart, you are not
going to see anything resembling normal "3-D" with eyes strung all over the
"(expletive deleted") concert hall. Sounds which literally cause my hall
seat to resonate, don't cause the microphones, however many there, to
resonate in the same fashion

I'm not sure that that really matters so much.

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

I will try this *just* once more.

I listen with my ears wherever I might be, concert hall, office, home,
shower, phone-booth, vehicle... I think we can both understand this.

A commercial recording is (generally) *not* meant to record as my ears
hear, but to record such that some equipment might attempt to reproduce
the sound-stage elsewhere. Can we agree on this? So, as it appears that
I have to be painfully detailed on this:

A sound-stage may be as small as a single instrument in a small room,
or as large as a 100+ piece orchestra on a large stage in a hall of 600
or more. Said orchestra may also feature a massive organ, field cannon,
even triangles. There is also a near-infinite range in between.

"Miking" this range of possibilities is an exercise in artistry as much
as any player in the orchestra. As the goal is to get down on the
recording medium as much - accurate - information as possible such that
reproduction will sound like perhaps-the-first-cousin of the music
as-played.

The point of both the orchestra playing to a 'live' audience and a
recording playing to a listener at home is to make the various
pairs-of-ears involved hear something worthwhile. The Microphone(s) is
(are) NOT meant to act as ears... they are meant to gather information
that the ears hear later in a manner approximating what they would have
heard live. Can you understand this, at least? So, that 100+ piece
orchestra spread across 1/10 acre of ground (~4100 square feet) may
need a dozen or more microphones to record. The information so-gathered
then has to be mixed down to two tracks with some of each going to each
track in some proportion (more artistry) so that the sound-stage,
instrument domination and mix, instrument levels and other artifacts
are available for reproduction "at home". One's ears home or hall hear
only what is delivered to them. And, home or hall, that information
varies by position and distance, at least. In the hall, position may be
right-to-left by a hundred feet or more, and front-to-nosebleed by 150
feet or more.This will not happen 'at home'. At best, at-home and with
a very, very good recording, one might get the 10th to 15th row,
center-section. But within that, be able to identify and position the
orchestra & instruments quite well. That is the point.

Circling all the way back to speaker placement. Have we have
established that the recording process does not duplicate human ears?
Not meant to? It is meant to capture as much information as possible,
then lay out that information on two tracks so that it might transfer.

So, placing the speakers is to provide the maximum opportunity to
deliver a sound-stage to the home listener. This becomes a function of
the speakers (and electronics) and their capabilities, the type and
size of room, and the listening area required. And if the speakers are
not seen as 'reverse ears', the concept gets much easier to understand.

Microphones don't resonate (well, they shouldn't in any case). They
record impulses that are capable of causing resonance. The speakers
then produce those impulses. THEY (may) cause resonance. Otherwise, we
are back to the chimera of headphones (and a sub-woofer, maybe) as the
logical conclusion of your equilateral triangle. Ideal placement, no
silly room resonances to deal with, and no embarassing echoes, standing
waves or cancellation waves to consider.

Each room is different. Each pair of human ears is different. My goal
is to get to a layout that takes best advantage of the rooms my systems
are in so that when they are playing, I might get the closest-to-live
experience possible. A lofty goal seldom achieved, but a lot of good
listening on the way to it. And, the equilateral triangle to me when I
gave it a listen for a bit last night just-to-try (Bach Double
Harpsichord Concerto, Mozart's Requiem) sounded like I was listening in
a closet. Nice when in the sweet-spot (Speakers about 5' apart,
centered about the short wall of a room about 11' wide & 14' deep), but
quite muddy a foot to either side. The cat who usually dotes on Mozart
tried various positions, then left.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Mark

This discussion reminds me of the old Bose 901 speakers which were
specifically designed to radiate 8/9s of their energy away from the
listener as that was the ratio of direct/reflected sound Dr. Bose
measured in a live performance. The fallacy, of course, was that in a
good recording, the concert hall effects are included in the recording.
We are not trying to create the sound of the instruments on the stage
and make-believe our living room is the concert hall, a good recording
should include the information to recreate the total sound at the
listener which is why the final mixing is done with "studio monitors" so
the engineer has an idea at least of what you will hear upon playback
(lots of room for discussion here on acoustics of mixing studio vs. home)
As an interesting side note, the Bose speakers found fairly wide
acceptance and were often used by musicians in live performances (in
small venues), except they were turned around so 8/9 went to the
audience and 1/9 back to the musician!
IMHO, if you can live with the cord, headphones - with an amp that
allows reducing the separation - are probably the best way top listen
with the ear bud ones being the best of headphones (there is much less
of a variation in the volume of air between the driver and your TM with
buds so the designer has fewer variables to work with and can get really
accurate response.)
MarkT

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Thank you Scott for providing some live-on-the-ground examples of what
I am striving to convey to Mr. Schwartz. I would not confuse apples (my
(human) ears) with Oranges (microphones), and Pears (Concert stages
large-or-small) with Plums (my listening rooms). But I do believe from
solid experience that one can transport a concert ambience into a
listening room by the use of some care, decent equipment well-placed
and well-recorded and mixed sources. _EVERYTHING_ between the sound as
played and the ears-as-heard is merely a mechanism to bring the two
together and to duplicate to the extent possible the experience
as-it-happens and as it is reproduced.

By the way, how do you place your speakers? (Ducking for cover).

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

SNIP

IMHO, if you can live with the cord, headphones - with an amp that
allows reducing the separation - are probably the best way top listen
with the ear bud ones being the best of headphones (there is much less
of a variation in the volume of air between the driver and your TM with
buds so the designer has fewer variables to work with and can get really
accurate response.)

*BINGO*

Give the man a Cigar (bubble-gum if a non-smoker)!

(I have one integrated and one pre-amp with -blend- settings. They do
well with headphones.)

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Mark

One of the best features of my (home made) preamp in my main system is
that I included a blend switch - originally a Dynaco PAS-3 - it makes an
incredible difference on most recordings. My speakers and listening
position form an equal lateral triangle of ~13'. There's a fireplace in
the middle so I cannot move the speakers closer together. They are
toed-in and out from the wall. The blend switch still makes most
material more natural sounding - especially true for older recordings
from the 60's - 70's when engineers were really into stereo separation.
MarkT
wrote:
SNIP

IMHO, if you can live with the cord, headphones - with an amp that
allows reducing the separation - are probably the best way top listen
with the ear bud ones being the best of headphones (there is much less
of a variation in the volume of air between the driver and your TM with
buds so the designer has fewer variables to work with and can get really
accurate response.)

*BINGO*

Give the man a Cigar (bubble-gum if a non-smoker)!

How about a beer?
(I have one integrated and one pre-amp with -blend- settings. They do
well with headphones.)

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:
Thank you Scott for providing some live-on-the-ground examples of what
I am striving to convey to Mr. Schwartz. I would not confuse apples (my
(human) ears) with Oranges (microphones), and Pears (Concert stages
large-or-small) with Plums (my listening rooms). But I do believe from
solid experience that one can transport a concert ambience into a
listening room by the use of some care, decent equipment well-placed
and well-recorded and mixed sources. _EVERYTHING_ between the sound as
played and the ears-as-heard is merely a mechanism to bring the two
together and to duplicate to the extent possible the experience
as-it-happens and as it is reproduced.

I'll try this one more last time. My ears are my ears, as the
recorder's ears are the microphones. If I have any hope of hearing at
home which I hear in the hall (and I neither wish nor hope to be able
to do that), the recorder's ears have to be located similarly as are my
ears. I've attended many concerts which were recorded live for
commercial release/broadcast. The microphones are nowhere placed as are
my ears and they can't possible hear what my ears heard. Some are mid-
hall close to the ceiling, others above the stage near the ceiling, yet
others elsewhere. Now perhaps, simple enough, I think. In another vein,
recordings multi- miced or other, can do some things better, some
things worse, than simulating the live event. I was never of the
opinion they should strive to meet the same goal, and I will always
prefer the best of both possible worlds.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

I heard of Blumlein, I heard and own Waterlily, etc. etc. and they
don't sound anything close to the real thing. Many Reference
Recordings' and their dead end HDCD process best be forgotten. Have
your heard or do you own (m)any of the the Wilson Audiophile Definitive
Recordings? Nothing comes that close to the real thing, nor do I expect
or even want them to. Perhaps some of our differences are due to the
halls you have attended, or more importantly the seating sites you
prefer. Where you ears? are and in which hall they can be found is more
important than Blumlein .....Reference Recordings, etc. etc. In fact
different engineering teams working for the same label achieve entirely
different results in the same hall. Now for the final touch, I dare you
to identify the venue by listening to a recording. You can't, Blumlein
or other. I've own different engineers efforts from the Musikverein and
different labels (EMI and DGG) from the Musikverein. Different
engineers working in Philharmonic or Avery Fischer Hall in NYC, same
result. RCA/BMG, in Symphony Hall, Boston, London/Decca in the Medinah
Temple or Orchestra Hall, Chicago; Abbey Studios, EMI same story
Blumlein or other, you would never know where you were. How the
(expletive deleted) do recordings portray the actual recording sessions?