Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris F.

Default Speaker Recommendations

I'm looking for a good pair of bookshelf speakers for my audio system, and
was wondering if you could give me any recommendations. These would be
primary for classical music played at low volume, from both digital and
analog sources. I'm looking for something I can find on Ebay, for under $100
if possible.
Also, I'm wondering how most modern speakers (say, a pair of Bose) would
compare to the old speakers I have now. My Zenith Allegro speakers were made
in the 70's and I still say they are the best I've ever owned. But I'm sure
that modern speakers could do much better, and that's why I'm asking for
some advice.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris F.

How do the Bose 21's stack up for performance?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
T Maki

Chris F. wrote:
I'm looking for a good pair of bookshelf speakers for my audio system,
primary for classical music played at low volume for under $100
if possible.

Well, if I weren't looking for a pair of near-perfect Empire Grenadier
9000s, I'd look for another pair of Electro-Voice Sentry 100s (I have
six of them now, so I like them...). They're not especially pretty as
furniture, but are generally non-hyped, and if driven conservatively,
sound quite nice. A nice pair just sold on Ebay for a couple of hundred.
Twice your "if possible", but you may not get much for a single Franklin.

Your tastes and expectations may vary...

TM
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Walt

Chris F. wrote:

I'm looking for a good pair of bookshelf speakers for my audio system, and
was wondering if you could give me any recommendations. These would be
primary for classical music played at low volume, from both digital and
analog sources. I'm looking for something I can find on Ebay, for under $100
if possible.
Also, I'm wondering how most modern speakers (say, a pair of Bose) would
compare to the old speakers I have now. My Zenith Allegro speakers were made
in the 70's and I still say they are the best I've ever owned. But I'm sure
that modern speakers could do much better, and that's why I'm asking for
some advice.

"Modern" speakers are not necessarily better than old ones. Unlike
electronic components, the cost of manufacturing a good quality speaker
is as much as it ever was. An older high quality speaker will be
superior to a newly manufactured POS. Especially if that POS is made by
Bose.

You are not going to find anything new for $100 on Ebay that you'll want
to listen to.

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Walt

T Maki wrote:
Chris F. wrote:

I'm looking for a good pair of bookshelf speakers for my audio system,
primary for classical music played at low volume for under $100
if possible.

Well, if I weren't looking for a pair of near-perfect Empire Grenadier
9000s, I'd look for another pair of Electro-Voice Sentry 100s (I have
six of them now, so I like them...). They're not especially pretty as
furniture, but are generally non-hyped, and if driven conservatively,
sound quite nice. A nice pair just sold on Ebay for a couple of hundred.
Twice your "if possible", but you may not get much for a single Franklin.

Your tastes and expectations may vary...

I'd second that opinion. I recently picked up a pair of EV 5C's
(similar to the Sentry 100, but aimed at the consumer market) at the
local reuse center for a Jackson. But I'm partial to sealed box
designs, so I'm biased.

//Walt

Posted to rec.audio.pro
T Maki

Walt wrote:
T Maki wrote:

Chris F. wrote:

I'm looking for a good pair of bookshelf speakers for my audio system,
primary for classical music played at low volume for under $100
if possible.

Electro-Voice Sentry 100s

Your tastes and expectations may vary...

I'd second that opinion. I recently picked up a pair of EV 5C's
(similar to the Sentry 100, but aimed at the consumer market) at the
local reuse center for a Jackson.

Worth it just for the boxes. Nice find...

There's a pair of Sentry 100s on Ebay now with a Buy it Now of $250.

TM
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris F.

Everyone here seems to favor EV, aren't there any other good brands out
there? I take it Bose is not one of the better ones, so I'll scratch it from
the list.
How about Yamaha or Pioneer? Remember I'm looking for something small (6"
woofer at most), not tower or DJ speakers. Yes I know, it's hard to find a
small speaker that performs well, but I'm sure there must be some
somewhere.....

"Chris F." wrote in message
I'm looking for a good pair of bookshelf speakers for my audio system,

and
was wondering if you could give me any recommendations. These would be
primary for classical music played at low volume, from both digital and
analog sources. I'm looking for something I can find on Ebay, for under

$100
if possible.
Also, I'm wondering how most modern speakers (say, a pair of Bose) would
compare to the old speakers I have now. My Zenith Allegro speakers were

made
in the 70's and I still say they are the best I've ever owned. But I'm

sure
that modern speakers could do much better, and that's why I'm asking for
some advice.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
T Maki

Chris F. wrote:
Everyone here seems to favor EV, aren't there any other good brands out
there? I take it Bose is not one of the better ones, so I'll scratch it from
the list.
How about Yamaha or Pioneer? Remember I'm looking for something small (6"
woofer at most), not tower or DJ speakers.

In case you're not familiar with the E-V Sentry 100, it's not a tower,
it's not a DJ or "PA" speaker. It's a small format monitor with 8" LF,
and (IIRC), a 1" dome HF.

But, since your size budget is 6" LF, never mind...

Although you might try to find a pair of Auratone 5Cs, or maybe the
older, wood cabineted Minimus 7 from Radio Shack. If you can find either
of those, you might be able to sneak in under your $ figure, but both
are still somewhat desirable by those who know why they'd want them and
how they'd use them.

Good luck.

TM

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Harry Lavo

"Chris F." wrote in message
I'm looking for a good pair of bookshelf speakers for my audio system,
and
was wondering if you could give me any recommendations. These would be
primary for classical music played at low volume, from both digital and
analog sources. I'm looking for something I can find on Ebay, for under
$100
if possible.
Also, I'm wondering how most modern speakers (say, a pair of Bose) would
compare to the old speakers I have now. My Zenith Allegro speakers were
made
in the 70's and I still say they are the best I've ever owned. But I'm
sure
that modern speakers could do much better, and that's why I'm asking for
some advice.
Thanks.

All are possible on eBay for $100 or under:

Original Large Advents
Original Small Advents
Radio Shack Minimus 7 (metal construction)
KLH Model 24
KLH Model 6

Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones

Chris F. wrote:

I take it Bose is not one of the better ones, so I'll scratch it from
the list.

No comment ...

How about Yamaha or Pioneer? Remember I'm looking for something small (6"
woofer at most), not tower or DJ speakers. Yes I know, it's hard to find a
small speaker that performs well, but I'm sure there must be some
somewhere....

If it were me looking for something that small and to
fit that budget, I'd be looking for a pair of Dyanco A10s
(6.5", 2way) Dynaco A25s are the classic durable used
hifi speaker but are larger than you require (10",2way)
When looking at used hifi speakers a rubber surround is
a good attribute.

rd

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Chris F. wrote:
I'm looking for a good pair of bookshelf speakers for my audio system, and
was wondering if you could give me any recommendations. These would be
primary for classical music played at low volume, from both digital and
analog sources. I'm looking for something I can find on Ebay, for under $100
if possible.

This is not funny.

Also, I'm wondering how most modern speakers (say, a pair of Bose) would
compare to the old speakers I have now. My Zenith Allegro speakers were made
in the 70's and I still say they are the best I've ever owned. But I'm sure
that modern speakers could do much better, and that's why I'm asking for
some advice.

I am sorry, this is not funny. This is a troll. Please take your
trolling elsewhere.
-s-cott

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Chris F. wrote:
Everyone here seems to favor EV, aren't there any other good brands out
there? I take it Bose is not one of the better ones, so I'll scratch it from
the list.
How about Yamaha or Pioneer? Remember I'm looking for something small (6"
woofer at most), not tower or DJ speakers. Yes I know, it's hard to find a
small speaker that performs well, but I'm sure there must be some
somewhere.....

Okay, stop right now. Go to a pro audio store immediately and listen
to speakers. Not a Wal-Mart. Not a music store that sells low end
PA gear. Go to a real pro audio store that has some PA speaker
selection, play back some recordings and listen to how realistic the
vocals sound.

You will be looking for places that carry EV, JBL, Bag End, Meyer, Radian
and folks like that. Not places that carry Pioneer.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Chris F. wrote:
What's that supposed to mean?

That you are not serious. You are posting this as a joke. But it is
not funny. This is rec.audio.pro.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
GregS

In article , "Arny Krueger" wrote:
It's supposed to mean that this question would be more appropriate on
rec.audio.opinion

I don't think so. Opinion group is a joke.
A bad joke.
But I might add, try reading Good Sound website.

greg

Chris F. wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris F.

Sorry, I just figured you folks on here would be most qualified to answer my
questions. Correct me if I'm wrong........

Chris F. wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
GregS

In article , "Chris F." wrote:
Sorry, I just figured you folks on here would be most qualified to answer my
questions. Correct me if I'm wrong........

If you had said less than $200-$300, and didn't mention Zenith, or Bose,
you would have been safer.

greg

Chris F. wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
yokl

"Chris F." wrote:

Sorry, I just figured you folks on here would be most qualified to answer my
questions. Correct me if I'm wrong........

Perhaps you'll find a better answer to consumer audio here
http://www.audioasylum.com/index.html