Posted to rec.audio.misc
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

Default Brand and Source for OFC speaker cable ?

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

"James" wrote in message

My amp is 50 watts per channel, so pretty modest. But, my "run" to my
speakers is 35 feet.

I am not a "nut" for monster cable or magic cable that claims to work
wonders, but I do want very good quality, and use wire that will perform
well at what I believe it a bit of an extended distance. I would also

like
a wire "set", that has the banana plugs installed at each end.

Someone recently recommended a very specific brand and internet site,

but
for the life of me I cannot find it.

Can any of you make a recommendation please ?

Thank you very much !!

--james--

recommendation 1: obtain 100 ft roll of the cheapest speaker wire you can
find as long as it has a stripe or a ridge or color code on the wire to
indicate + & -, 1 pair of wire cutter/stripers, cut in half, strip wire,
wrap around 5 way binding post and tighten. put extra cable behind

speakers
or amp so you have some slack if you want to move something.

recommendation 2: sell speakers and amp. buy powered speakers. post on 4
newsgroups question on how to wire unbalanced coaxial wire and use of OFC
wire for AC power connections.

I've read all the posts, what's so special in speaker wire that it has to be
OFC etc?Of course, if someone buys a 1000 euro tube amplifier then he would
be mean if he would be getting 0.40 cent speaker cable from greek
equivalent of Radio Shack.Normal household mains wiring is put to much more
stress than any speaker cable.The (maybe 2" long) little piece of wire that
connects from the main braker to the main fuse IF is one gauge size thinner
gets molten and fuses to the two components in such an inseparable way, that
both have to be trashed.I've never seen cheap speaker wire melt, the core or
its jacket :-) But I've seen thin 1" piece of wire going to the heating
element of water heaters getting charcoaled so much that it splices in two.

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Todd H.

"Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" writes:

I've read all the posts, what's so special in speaker wire that it has to be
OFC etc?

Nothing really, to my ears.

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H