Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Comparison of HD-24 to Cubase SX-1

I am taking tracks recorded directly onto an Alesis HD-24 at 24 bits
44.1 and exporting them into Cubase SX-1 with the identical Project
setup settings for editing using the Alesis Fireport interface. When I
listen to the identical track from both sources being monitored through
a Tascam DM-24 with identical channel settings on the same speakers,
the HD-24 clearly has more presence and overall frequency response from
2K up.

I can then export the tracks from Cubase back to the Alesis and regain
the presence. I also seem to have less presence when I mix the tracks
internally in Cubase and burn to CD than when I mix direct from the
Alesis. I would love to be able to keep the tracks in my computer since
editing and automation is more convenient but not at the sacrifice of
sound I am getting.

I am prone to blame the audio engine of the older version of Cubase
since the internal mix doesn't even use converters. Is there something
else I am missing?
Andy

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Evangelos Himonides

Andy,
1. What is the audio-interface (soundcard) on your computer?
2. Where do you play the audio-CD on? on the computer again?

Regards,

Evangelos

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Evangelos Himonides wrote:
Andy,
1. What is the audio-interface (soundcard) on your computer?
2. Where do you play the audio-CD on? on the computer again?

Regards,

Evangelos

I play the CDs on a number of playback sources including home systems,
car and studio. I have A/B's a number of playback situations and a
client and experienced musician friend has agreed with my findings. I
can take the audio out of the computer using either an M-Audio FW-410
or the onboard Toshiba consumer soundcard but the dullness is evident
even when I burn my CD internally and never use either sound card.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Evangelos Himonides

Hm... How did you A/B it with the Alesis?
Alesis Mixer speakers -vs- PC Mixer speakers -vs- CD player
Mixer speakers ?
Is there a chance that you have 'TrueTape' enabled on Cubase?

Regards,

Evangelos