Posted to rec.audio.pro
jt

Default The obsolescence of PT's TDM

So it appears that Pro Tools biggest contender, i.e. Logic Pro isn't
gonna work with TDM anymore.

Is this just a reflection of the viablility and impending dominance of
"native processing".

Perhaps it's about time that the professional audio community see TDM
for what it is...obsolete.

I'd love to get some feedback here.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

jt wrote:

So it appears that Pro Tools biggest contender, i.e. Logic Pro isn't
gonna work with TDM anymore.

Is this just a reflection of the viablility and impending dominance of
"native processing".

Perhaps it's about time that the professional audio community see TDM
for what it is...obsolete.

I'd love to get some feedback here.

Why? You've already made up your mind!

TDM of course has clear benefits, but not for the home studio owner.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
stv

It doesn't matter, really... I have a couple of old "obsolete" PT
systems that work just fine for me... GGG

But I think the core of the matter has to do with different priorities:

Apple owns Logic, Apple wants to sell new computers, so what's the
payoff in selling something that will work with Digi's ancillary
processors?

Digi wants to sell hardware (and the software comes along for the
ride), and while Digi benefits from good, fast and reliable computers
for a 'front end,' Digi brings their own power.

BTW, I used to use Logic's great-grand-dad, C-Lab, on an Atari Stacy
laptop. Logic's architecture has always been related to using the host
processors.

Thanks,

stv

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich

jt wrote:

So it appears that Pro Tools biggest contender, i.e. Logic Pro isn't
gonna work with TDM anymore.

Right now I'd see it as doesn't work with TDM _yet_.

Nuendo and Sequoia and Digital Performer might be contenders as big as
Logic if we're talking about capability. (And I run Logic Pro.)

Is this just a reflection of the viablility and impending dominance of
"native processing".

Probably not, yet. Logic's substituting networked machines for some
other kind of outboard box to get the bigger-than-one-native-computer
whammy.

Perhaps it's about time that the professional audio community see TDM
for what it is...obsolete.

A whole lot of TDM folks are busy enough that they don't have time to
worry about obsolesence.

I'd love to get some feedback here.

Put the mic right into the stage monitor.

--
ha

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay Kadis

In article . com,
"jt" wrote:

So it appears that Pro Tools biggest contender, i.e. Logic Pro isn't
gonna work with TDM anymore.

Is this just a reflection of the viablility and impending dominance of
"native processing".

Perhaps it's about time that the professional audio community see TDM
for what it is...obsolete.

I'd love to get some feedback here.

I use and maintain PT MIX+ and HD systems at work and use Logic Pro with UAD-1
DSP at home. I do think Logic is catching up to TDM in terms of workflow and
reliability, but that will not dislodge the PT systems already in use. For
years I predicted the demise of PT as the speed and capabilities of CPUs
increased and for years Digidesign managed to keep their hardware in demand.

I would hesitate to predict the demise of TDM systems in the near future. We
support both Logic and ProTools: guess which one students want to learn first?

-Jay