Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Hanks

Default Power amp for electronic drums?

Please excuse my lack of education about all of this, but I'm hoping the
answer will be a no-brainer for some of you.

I have an electronic MIDI-percussion setup using a DrumKat and various rack
mount synth modules (Alesis D4, DMPro, Emu Planet Earth, R8M, etc). I use
this in dance studios to accompany classes. Usually, I am the sole
musician, so I am not competing volume-wise with other other players. I
have one JBL G734 cabinet that I have been using with a less than good Akai
powered mixer. It just doesn't seem to do well with the sharp attacks of
the drum sounds. I was thinking about getting a dedicated power amp and
using that with my Mackie 1202. Price is a consideration - I'm trying to
stay in the $300 (or less?) range. So, I'm wondering if an Alesis RA 150 or
RA 300 would suffice? Would bridging the RA150 give me enough "oomph"? The
plus with getting this kind of stereo power amp is I can also use it to
power speakers in a home studio, but that would be an extra and is not my
primary concern. Would a GK bass amp (backline 250) be a better idea?

BTW, the back of the JBL G734 states: "maximum power input 200W continuous
pink noise. System impedance 8 ohms."

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.

John H

Posted to rec.audio.pro

John,

Roland KC-550, I think that should run you about $400, theres a smaller
one too, the Roland KC-350. I use the 550 for programmed drums, and
its incredible what that amp can do, it covers all frequency ranges
really well, comes with multiple stereo ins, and on board mixing, you
can probably do away with that Mackie. I swear by this amps response
time, I've had it for 3 years now and it has given me no trouble, its a
workhorse of an amp. Any decent retailer will let you hook up and
listen to one before you buy. You won't be dissapointed.

~Robbie

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

John Hanks wrote:

[...]

The Alesis amps don't sound so great in a critical studio environment
and don't stand up very well in heavy PA environments. A bass amp is
very much not the right tool for the job.

BTW, the back of the JBL G734 states: "maximum power input 200W continuous
pink noise. System impedance 8 ohms."

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.

Go to your local pro audio shop and ask what they have in the used bin
with about that power level, which they'll sell cheap. Buy it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
TimPerry

"John Hanks" wrote in message
[...]

you requirement that the amp double as a studio amp eliminates most PA amps
as the fan noise will be objectionable (unless the amp is located away from
the studio)

you may want to consider obtaining a powered speaker (or two)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Hanks

Thanks, all, for your input. I am going to hit the local megastores (that's
about all there is around here) tomorrow and see what I can come up with.
2nd hand will be the first thing I look for, and quiet the second. The
keyboard amps that use a 15" speaker are usually beasts to move, but it may
be the best answer in the end.

John H

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Hanks

One more post:

I just bought a Roland KC-550. I know it will do the job. I looked at the
Crate KXB100, too. It has less power, but it sounded pretty good and it did
have an effects loop, which I really wanted. But a side by side comparison
sold me on the full frequency range of the Roland. It was also much quieter
than the Crate, which had an annoying 60 cycle hum. I don't know if that
was only a problem with the one on the floor of the store or if they all do
that.

I had the salesguy bring up an orchestral percussion demo on some kind of
highend synth or other. Both amps were able to handle the concert bass drum
and timpani sounds well, but the Roland could do it louder. 180 watts vs.
100 watts.

Using a more hip hop type demo demonstrated the real virtues of the Roland.
Lots of clear high end. The roland has an actual horn instead of pizo
tweeters, so that explains the clarity.

John H