Posted to rec.audio.car
Panoz Flyer

Default REQ: Recommendation for high power & shock handling

Hi All:

I recently installed a Panasonic 9801 head unit in my Panoz AIV
Roadster. Installing the backstrap is not an option in this car, or at
least, I have not figured out a way. The car manufacturer also says
they have no idea how to attach one either.

I really liked that head unit. Excellent power. And I would gladly
install it again, except it was ultrasensitive to shock on CD play. 95%
of my play is from my iPod, but once in a while, I'll play CDs or
CD-Rs. And the slightest bump in the Roadster would cause play skip.
Other reviews at Crutchfield confirmed this.

Since I cannot install a backstrap, I'd like to find an HU that has
anti-shock memory or other protection along with a fair amount of
power. I have a Pioneer DEH-P80MP in another car, and it has been
pretty good, with power output not too far off the Panasonic. But it
also has no anti-shock memory.

I looked at Crutchfield, and only one HU came up with anti-shock memory
in a search, a Sanyo combined CD and cassette unit. No thanks.

Anyone have any other recommendations? TIA!

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

Default Recommendation for high power & shock handling

Every CD player I've owned in the last 10 years (with the exception of a
Nakamichi I had for a while) has had virtually no problems with skipping at
all, and I've never used a backstrap. I suspect that "anti-shock memory" is
nothing more than a couple of words, and the reality is that most modern
mainstream players do a really good job of resisting skipping. Whether or
not they employ "anti-shock memory" or not, I'm not sure. I would think
that your Pioneer is no exception and should do a fantasic job. I have a
Pioneer DEH-9600MP installed in my S10 4x4 and it's never skipped.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
Nowhere Man

On 2006-01-08 05:26:35 -0800, "Tony F" said:

Every CD player I've owned in the last 10 years (with the exception of
a Nakamichi I had for a while) has had virtually no problems with
skipping at all, and I've never used a backstrap. I suspect that
"anti-shock memory" is nothing more than a couple of words, and the
reality is that most modern mainstream players do a really good job of
resisting skipping. Whether or not they employ "anti-shock memory" or
not, I'm not sure. I would think that your Pioneer is no exception and
should do a fantasic job. I have a Pioneer DEH-9600MP installed in my
S10 4x4 and it's never skipped.

Tony

Tony:

Thanks for the input. Anti-shock memory, or "read-ahead" is, I think
more than just words. The Sanyo I mentioned actually buffers 40 seconds
of play, so that it plays through any skips that physically occur. I
know a lot of portable CD players still have this feature to deal with
the skips that come from running, walking, bicycling, etc. Wish I knew
why more car head units don't have it. At least according tot he
Crutchfield site, it's just not a common feature.

One thing I should have mentioned in my first post is that I need at
least one set of RCA inputs for my Harman-Kardon iPod controller. My
first choice would be to install another Pioneer HU, so that I would
have the same user interface, but Pioneer requires a separate adapter
to get RCA inputs, whereas the Panasonic had higher power and built-in
RCA inputs. That separate adapter is just one more place to introduce
engine noise in my experience.

As I said, I have the 80MP in one of my cars, and I like its interface,
as well as the steering wheel-mounted remote, but its presentation of
iPod info with the Pioneer iPod adapter is pretty pathetic; that's why
I am going with the Harman Kardon iPod controller in the Panoz. If it
had a little more power, the extra adapter for RCA inputs wouldn't seem
like such a tradeoff.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

'"Thanks for the input. Anti-shock memory, or "read-ahead" is, I think more
than just words. The Sanyo I mentioned actually buffers 40 seconds of play,
so that it plays through any skips that physically occur. I know a lot of
portable CD players still have this feature to deal with the skips that come
from running, walking, bicycling, etc. Wish I knew why more car head units
don't have it. At least according tot he Crutchfield site, it's just not a
common feature."

I realize what anti shock memory is. What I was saying, is that the most
modern CD players are built well enough to absorb vibrations and shocks and
don't utilize any sort of read-ahead buffer. If you think you need 40
seconds of read ahead time (which is a ridiculous feature) then by all means
go ahead and buy one. I've heard many people complain about skipping
problems with Panasonic head units. I'm not sure if it's all Panasonics, a
certain model, or if the problem has been addressed and solved by now. But
I will tell you that any skipping problem should NOT be attributed to the
fact that the player does or does not have an anti shock memory buffer. In
my opinion, it's nothing more than a gimmick, a sales pitch. My guess is
that most portable CD players are so inexpensive they fail to use a good
damping system (or any at all) in their disc play mechanisms. So they rely
on a memory buffer to compensate. It should be worthy to mention that any
read ahead buffer system also compromises sound quality, to what extent I'm
not sure.

In short, don't let an anti-shock memory buffer dominate your search for a
CD player. I'd concentrate on features alone and do some Google searches
before you buy to see if other people have had skipping issues with any of
the brands you're interested in.

Tony