Posted to rec.audio.car
Dr Nick

Default random thought.. Box Materials?

I know the most popular box material is MDF and some use plexiglass as a
window. What size MDF are you guys using (3/4, 1" etc.) what are the main
difference between thicknesses? well, to ym random thought...I was wondering
if there exists (or if anyone has made) a box out of actual wood (say birch,
mahogony or maple) I'm a drummer and my maple bass drum sounds AWESOME, I've
also heard some really nice birch and mahogany bass drums as well, sort of
curious how this would sound with a subwoofer, any thoughts?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

Dr Nick wrote:
I know the most popular box material is MDF and some use plexiglass as a
window. What size MDF are you guys using (3/4, 1" etc.)

Mostly 3/4" unless you start getting into really high-powered subs or
need a particularly large piece.

what are the main difference between thicknesses?

A quarter inch.

well, to ym random thought...I was wondering
if there exists (or if anyone has made) a box out of actual wood (say birch,
mahogony or maple) I'm a drummer and my maple bass drum sounds AWESOME, I've
also heard some really nice birch and mahogany bass drums as well, sort of
curious how this would sound with a subwoofer, any thoughts?

With a drum, you want a sound from the whole unit; different materials
are used BECAUSE they produce different sounds. With a sub, you don't
want the box "making" ANY sound. The sub itself has a hard enough time
accurately reproducing the signal driven into it; you don't need the box
coloring the sound even more.

What you're looking for is a box that doesn't flex. If it does, it
changes the sound, and can reduce the overall bass you get out of it.
Regular woods tend to flex, especially plywood. MDF is used primarily
because it's extremely solid and DOESN'T flex.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0601-3, 01/06/2006
Tested on: 1/8/2006 12:15:05 AM

Posted to rec.audio.car
Dr Nick

I see, was just a random thought, but I see what your saying. thanks

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

There are a couple schools of thought here. Most people believe that the
thicker the sub enclosure the better. If your box is resonating at all,
this means energy is being wasted (your box is "absorbing" some of the sound
energy). Therefore, thicker is almost always better.

But, there are some in the audiophile community who believe, like a musical
instrument, a speaker enclosure SHOULD resonate sympathetically with the
music. They argue this creates a "warmer" sound. Case in point, my main
music system uses Michael Green Designs speakers that actually have tuning
"knobs" on the sides so that I can adjust how much the enclosure resonates.
I don't really know if this improves the sound, but it is an interesting
approach.

MOSFET