Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich

Default Lou Rawls - RIP

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060106/ap_en_mu/obit_rawls

What a voice he brought to us.

--
ha
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Amen

hank alrich wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060106/ap_en_mu/obit_rawls

What a voice he brought to us.

--
ha

Posted to rec.audio.pro
joe mama

wrote in message
ups.com...
Amen

hank alrich wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060106/ap_en_mu/obit_rawls

What a voice he brought to us.

He was a very special talent. Too bad he had to compete with Sam Cooke. They
both were fantastic. I can't believe he was only 72. He was around for soooo
long. Maybe the baritone added a few years!

Speaking of SC...the new Les Paul and friends CD has a version of "Ain't
that good news" with Jeff Beck adding guitar (ala the Natalie/Nat Cole
abominations) and it f'in SMOKES! You gotta hear it. You'll thank me for
suggesting it....or maybe not ;=)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dr. Dolittle

hank alrich wrote:

What a voice he brought to us.

wrote:

Amen

But, you'll never find another love like his!

(You'll keep searching and searching your whole life through. . )
Posted to rec.audio.pro

hank alrich wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060106/ap_en_mu/obit_rawls

What a voice he brought to us.

--
ha

I've always been intrigued by the vocal "capture" of his version of
"Midnight Train to Georgia". It is a masterpiece. I tried to do a quick
search of who engineered it but to no avail. Anybody got the answer?
I'd also love to know what kind of mic (and pre, compressor, etc.) was
used. What a work of art!!! He was one of those guys that I didn't know
how much influence he was until after I was influenced. And what about
"You're Gonna Miss My Love"? Wow!!

Andy

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roger W. Norman

Sorry to hear the news. With local deaths at the beginning of this year I
have to say that life is someplace you just can't stay. My condolences to
Mr. Rawls' family. Met him once at one of the jazz festivals. Nice man.

Thanks.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
"hank alrich" wrote in message
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060106/ap_en_mu/obit_rawls

What a voice he brought to us.

--
ha

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ted Perlman

I'd also love to know what kind of mic (and pre, compressor, etc.) was
used.

I've got a feeling that Mr. Rawls would have sounded like Mr. Rawls even on
an SM-58 mic plugged directly into the console's built in mic pre's.

That creamy, rich baritone would have made ANY equipment sound great.

--
Regards,

Ted Perlman
Producer-Arranger-Composer-Guitarist