Posted to rec.audio.misc
Miltion

Default DTS Sound why is it better than Dolby ?

DTS Sound why is it better than Dolby ?

Ive got a DTS AMP. Never used it for DTS yet though. Had it for years.

So whats so good about DTS ?
Posted to rec.audio.misc
AZ Nomad

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 02:59:24 +1100, Miltion Milton wrote:

DTS Sound why is it better than Dolby ?

Ive got a DTS AMP. Never used it for DTS yet though. Had it for years.

So whats so good about DTS ?

www.google.com, search for "dolby digital versus dts"
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Lefisc

Hi Milton.

This is my first post on this site.
DTS sound is actually less compressed than Dolby Digital. This means
that they remove less of the sound and you get greater quaility,
especially in the bass and in many details.

It may seem like a hundred years ago, but when Laser discs were
selling, towards the end they came out in DTS. The fidelity of a Laser
had generally been beter than the eventual DVD simply because there was
more room on the laser to put sound. The diffeence on laser was far
more pronounced than it is on the DVD. Simply the DVD is smaller and
they have to put 5.1 tracks in a small space. A lot of sound detail is
removed, however, to most people, the seperation of the five channels
of sound give them a great movie experiance. Because there is less
compression, the DTS soundtrack usually takes up more space. That is
why many longer movies, in DTS, came as a two disc set.

Here is the political impolite thing to say though: Many people really
don't hear the difference, perhaps because it is not great enough.
Many don't hear because they really need a better home theatre. Let me
give a silly example. Let us rate home theatres on a one to ten basis.
One being the worst, then the best. You neeed a system in the 4, 5 or
6 range to begin to hear the difference and as the system gets better
it sounds better.

Technical stuff aside, it does sound better.

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Mark D. Zacharias

"Lefisc" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

One important thing you forgot to mention is that with DTS (and I believe
Dolby Digital) the audio tracks are DISCRETE, not matrix-derived as in Dolby
Surround and Dolby Prologic. The channel separation is double or better, and
is not accomplished via phase-shifting, which introduces audible artifacts.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Lefisc

Mark brings up an important and valid point, that with both Dolby
digital and DTS there is much better seperation because the tracks are
separate, which is called descrete.
This is actually the cause of the problem I was discussing.

Instead of having to put two tracks on a disc, in the same space a DD
and DTS must put five tracks. To do this sound must be severely
compressed, there is not enough space.

When I listen to a two channel laser disc the fidelity, the clossness
to real sound and music, is superior to a DVD. In fact, on the few
lasers I have with DD and DTS the sound is much better than a DVD. In
fact a laser with DTS is incredible, I have Apollo 13 for example.

The DVD do give less fidelity, but much better separation. I hope HD
DVD can bump up the sound.

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Walker

"Miltion" Milton Adler wrote in message
news

DTS Sound why is it better than Dolby ?

Ive got a DTS AMP. Never used it for DTS yet though. Had it for years.

So whats so good about DTS ?

I can only suggest that you visit www.dts.com and buy a DTS disc. You can
decide yourself if you like it well enough to buy proprietary discs. I have
spent a small fortune on discs in the past six months and I'm considering a
second surround system for my office/excercise room. The live videos are
very good but the real treats are studio recordings of albums that you
already know and like. There isn't a lot of choice but the list is growing.
Audio discs are fool proof but video discs will have several audio choices
and DTS needs to be selected from the Audio menu. I've also gone through my
music DVDs and have discovered that several of them have a DTS track. Good
luck

Bob Walker

Carver1200 Carver1200 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefisc
[...]

Have to agree about the system set up level. I have a really nice system in one room for music and a more modest home theater set up in another, consisting of AR reference speakers and Morel 12" subwoofer. Probably falls into the 6 range, .01 being Wall-Mart or Bose. DTS can be superior to Dolby, but it depends on how much effort went into the DVD production. I watch some favorite DVD's both ways. Sometimes the DTS play back is way over proccessed. If done well, the dynamics are a knock out.

Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
Creating Dimension In Mixing- PDF available on Request (112 pages0 kevindoylemusic Pro Audio 14 February 14th 05 05:58 PM