Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Stone

Default Good source for long Light-Pipe type cables?

Does anybody here know a good source for long ADAT type Light-Pipe cables
(10 feet or more)?

Related questions:

What's the longest length you can reliably run an ADAT Light-Pipe cable?

Is there any difference between these cables and the "Fiber-Optic Audio
Cables" or "Toslink" cables being sold by electronics suppliers like MCM
http://site.mcminone.com/search.asp?keyword=toslink

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Rick Stone wrote:
Does anybody here know a good source for long ADAT type Light-Pipe cables
(10 feet or more)?

Markertek has them.

Related questions:

What's the longest length you can reliably run an ADAT Light-Pipe cable?

30 feet if you are very lucky, I think.

Is there any difference between these cables and the "Fiber-Optic Audio
Cables" or "Toslink" cables being sold by electronics suppliers like MCM
http://site.mcminone.com/search.asp?keyword=toslink

No, those are just fine.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chip Borton

"Rick Stone" wrote in message
Does anybody here know a good source for long ADAT type Light-Pipe cables
(10 feet or more)?

Related questions:

What's the longest length you can reliably run an ADAT Light-Pipe cable?

Is there any difference between these cables and the "Fiber-Optic Audio
Cables" or "Toslink" cables being sold by electronics suppliers like MCM
http://site.mcminone.com/search.asp?keyword=toslink

I honestly dont know how far you can reliably push ADAT light pipe without
googling it but I have a set here running fine at 10-12 feet. I ordered mine
mailorder
from Swee****er I think, but you can pick them up almost anywhere.

Things to keep in mind ...

There are plastic fiber optic cables and true glass fiber optic cables,
the glass cables can carry the signal farther but are less flexible and more
expensive.

Be careful that you dont get the wrong connectors, minidisk TOSLINK
connectors
are differnent than the ADAT style lightpipe connectors.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rafael Vanoni

That's something I've always been curious about.
I've never ran more than 3-4 meters of toslink.

According to their ad, those Lightviper systems can be run for more
than 1.25 miles. But I guess their system is more than just a lightpipe
snake.

How different are fibers used on audio than those used on
communications?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Rick Stone wrote:
Does anybody here know a good source for long ADAT type Light-Pipe cables
(10 feet or more)?

Core Sound will custom make them to any length you want. I belive Hosa
has them up to 50 feet, too. 10 feet isn't very long for these cables.

What's the longest length you can reliably run an ADAT Light-Pipe cable?

Slightly shorter than what doesn't work reliably. 10 meters may be the
official maximum lengh, but most things will work with a longer cabel.
If you need something longer than 50 feet, there are adapters (powered)
that convert between the plastic TOSLink cable and glass fiber cable.
Hosa makes a kit that's about $500 with a pair of adapters and a pair
of glass fiber cables about 250 feet long.

Is there any difference between these cables and the "Fiber-Optic Audio
Cables" or "Toslink" cables being sold by electronics suppliers like MCM
http://site.mcminone.com/search.asp?keyword=toslink

The ADAT Optical interface uses TOSLink cables. The Light Viper snakes
and fiber optic data networking uses glass fiber cable, which is more
expensive, has better connectors, and can run at higher speeds and for
longer distances.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jim Gilliland

Chip Borton wrote:

I honestly dont know how far you can reliably push ADAT light pipe without
googling it but I have a set here running fine at 10-12 feet. I ordered mine
mailorder from Swee****er I think, but you can pick them up almost anywhere.

Things to keep in mind ...

There are plastic fiber optic cables and true glass fiber optic cables,
the glass cables can carry the signal farther but are less flexible and more
expensive.

Toslink/Lightpipe/OpticalSPDIF uses plastic fiber. Glass fiber is not
relevant to the original question.

I've seen Toslink cables of up to 30 feet in length.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Rafael Vanoni wrote:
That's something I've always been curious about.
I've never ran more than 3-4 meters of toslink.

According to their ad, those Lightviper systems can be run for more
than 1.25 miles. But I guess their system is more than just a lightpipe
snake.

Right, they use standard 62.5 communications fibre, not the cheap plastic
crap.

How different are fibers used on audio than those used on
communications?

Totally. The cables used for communications, even the cheap multimode
ones, are thin glass fibres with a lot less loss than the huge plastic
ones used for TOSLINK. The TOSLINK stuff is designed to be cheap.

There are boxes out there that will let you convert a TOSLINK connection,
either ADAT or S-PDIF so it can be run over a standard multimode glass
fibre with an ST connector. Hosa makes some, even. They work very
well if you need long runs.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill

Rick Stone wrote:

Does anybody here know a good source for long ADAT type Light-Pipe cables
(10 feet or more)?

Geez, WalMart, BestBuy, any of 'em. Guitar Center is where I got
the long one I use. It's just a TOSLINK optical cable.

Related questions:

What's the longest length you can reliably run an ADAT Light-Pipe cable?

Is there any difference between these cables and the "Fiber-Optic Audio
Cables" or "Toslink" cables being sold by electronics suppliers like MCM
http://site.mcminone.com/search.asp?keyword=toslink

Not to my knowlege.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Kurt Albershardt

Rick Stone wrote:

Does anybody here know a good source for long ADAT type Light-Pipe
cables (10 feet or more)?

http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.php?cPath=25_29&products_id=68

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chip Borton

"Jim Gilliland" wrote in message

Toslink/Lightpipe/OpticalSPDIF uses plastic fiber. Glass fiber is not
relevant to the original question.

I've seen Toslink cables of up to 30 feet in length.

When I ordered my cables I was given the option to order glass or plastic.
I guess the sales rep could have been blowing smoke up my a**.

I found this on the Alesis web site:
http://www.alesis.com/support/faqs/a...e.html#anchor7

Also I just spoke with Apogee tech support and they have the Wyde Eye
product line. Thier rep told be they have model WE-GP-10.0 which has
toslink connectors and works with ADAT.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/wydeeyecables.php

Still, the longest they sell in that line is 10 Meters.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Chip Borton wrote:
"Jim Gilliland" wrote in message
. ..

Toslink/Lightpipe/OpticalSPDIF uses plastic fiber. Glass fiber is not
relevant to the original question.

I've seen Toslink cables of up to 30 feet in length.

When I ordered my cables I was given the option to order glass or plastic.
I guess the sales rep could have been blowing smoke up my a**.

There is now a sort of Toslink cable made up of a bundle of glass fibres.
I am not sure how this compares with the plastic fibre, but it violates
the actual Toslink spec even if it works better.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Chip Borton wrote:
"Jim Gilliland" wrote in
message ...

Toslink/Lightpipe/OpticalSPDIF uses plastic fiber.
Glass fiber is not relevant to the original question.

I've seen Toslink cables of up to 30 feet in length.

When I ordered my cables I was given the option to order
glass or plastic. I guess the sales rep could have been
blowing smoke up my a**.

There is now a sort of Toslink cable made up of a bundle
of glass fibres. I am not sure how this compares with the
plastic fibre, but it violates the actual Toslink spec
even if it works better.

Searching around I found outlandish prices for glass toslink, and claims
that good quality acrylic is really the best.

Here's a source for *any* length Toslink:
http://www.lifatec.com/Lifusa_connectors.htm