Posted to rec.audio.pro
taikowaza

Default multiface2 or fireface 800

Hello, I am debating between a multiface2 PCI or a fireface.
My goal is to get the lowest latency possible for live softsynth
playing and recording over dense mixes laden with effects.
I upgraded my processor to an AMD Athlon 4000+ with 1GB Ram, and a
UAD-1 card.
I currently use an FA-101 Edirol interface and I am not impressed with
the shoddy driver, imprecise latency settings (a slider with 5 notches
to choose from and a 'higher, normal, or lower' setting. Has not been
updated since I bought it a year ago (still on ver 1.0), and drops out,
and uses a lot of processor power.

I like the mic preamps. However, at this point, I want to be able to
play keyboards musically over my mixes, so my goal is fast, fast, and
stable.

I would like to buy the fireface 800 because it seems so all-inclusive,
and somewhat future-proof.
however I do not want another firewire fiasco, I am worried that I will
not see a latency improvement and will be disappointed when I hit the
midi keyboard, and see that it takes several seconds from when I play,
to when the note registers.

If that would be the case, perhaps the multiface will be an
improvement- I have decided to go RME because everyone says it is the
best. Another RME product suggestion would be appreciated.

I have a simple setup and do not want to buy another mixer. I hardly
ever use mics, but like to have the option.

Roland 100M modular, so fast and analog that I want my interface to
pick up on the inherent musicality and not delay it
ARP sequencer (with Kenton Pro-2)
Korg Wavedrum
Softsynths galore that I would love to use LIVE while the mix is
playing

thanks very much
tw

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

taikowaza wrote:

Hello, I am debating between a multiface2 PCI or a fireface.
My goal is to get the lowest latency possible for live softsynth
playing and recording over dense mixes laden with effects.

I would like to buy the fireface 800 because it seems so all-inclusive,
and somewhat future-proof.
however I do not want another firewire fiasco,

Nothing is future-proof (unless you consider only about two weeks into
the future). Most people are really happy with the performance of the
RME Firewire hardware and drivers, but everybody's system and
requirements is different. Playing soft synths live over a dense
sequence with effects is going to be trouble no matter what.

If you're going to be fussy about responsiveness to your playing (and
you should), I would seriously consider getting a second computer for
your soft synths, or forgetting soft synths and using your "hard"
synths - learn to edit and create some new sounds that you love to play
that are uniquely your own. Separating the load between your backing
sequences and your live playing will give you more control over
streamlining the setup and make your troubleshooting and tweaking
easier. I know that soft synths are sold as being the equivalent of the
Rolands, Korgs, Yamahas, etc., and they can be when they're sequenced
and you can adjust timing to make them work. I'm not convinced that
they're realy all that good for live performance though.

I have a simple setup and do not want to buy another mixer. I hardly
ever use mics, but like to have the option.

You may have a "simple" setup but your description of what you want to
do sounds like you're heading for disappointment. Remember, the latency
of the audio interface is only part of the problem.