Posted to rec.audio.pro
Charles Tomaras

Default M-Audio MicroTrack MP3 encoder seems to suck.

I'm using the MicroTrack as a transcription recorder for location sound
audio recordings so the quality really isn't a huge deal to me but I though
I'd mention my observations. At low data rates ie 96kbps and 128kbps the MP3
encoder really sucks compared to say the encoder that is in something like
Sound Forge. Anyone else using the MicroTrack for MP3 and if so have you
made a similar observervation?

Charles Tomaras
Seattle, WA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"Charles Tomaras" wrote ...
I'm using the MicroTrack as a transcription recorder for location sound
audio recordings so the quality really isn't a huge deal to me but I
though I'd mention my observations. At low data rates ie 96kbps and
128kbps the MP3 encoder really sucks compared to say the encoder that is
in something like Sound Forge. Anyone else using the MicroTrack for MP3
and if so have you made a similar observervation?

I've never used mine to record MP3, only uncompressed (WAV).
It doesn't seem particularly surprising that the MP3 encoder in a
small, portable device wouldn't necessarily be as good as something
that runs on a real computer. I guess I would have expected it to
"suck" to some extent.

Fortunately, the firmware is upgradable and M-Audio could improve
it if the market demands (and there is enough space in the flash RAM
for the software). There also seems to be an "open-source" cult which
grows up around these kinds of products, so I expect that there will be
3rd party modifications, upgrades, etc. for the MT2496 soon (if not
available already).

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nappy

"Chel van Gennip" wrote in message
When you compare quality with a real computer (processor consuming up to
150W), you will notice a difference in quality.

LOL!!! So Eniac would have been one hell of an MP3 encoder.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Charles Tomaras

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Charles Tomaras" wrote ...
[...]

Just to follow up more fully with my Microtrack impressions. It's a great
little device for my use as a non-critical transcription recorder but I sure
wouldn't bet the shoot or a recording on it. It's quirky and does weird
things at times. Sometimes if it's booted up and you plug in the power cable
it will reboot. If you plug it in while it's off and then try to boot it, it
will not boot. Sometimes it says there is no media but if you reboot it, it
is fine with the same card...etc etc. Meters on playback have frozen on me,
not that I even use it for playback. Heck...in my application I usually
don't even monitor it if the meters look proper. Other than that it's a fine
little toy and sure beats the heck out of using a WMD5 cassette recorder for
transcription. I'm sure they'll sell a lot of 'em but I don't think Sound
Devices, Fostex or Tascam has a lot to fear in lost sales!

Charles Tomaras
Seattle, WA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marky A

At it's highest mp3 setting, I believe it sounds pretty good. A one gig
card will yield over seven hours at 48/320. Try to get seven hours out
of a DAT or cassette deck?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mandler

Charles Tomaras wrote:
I'm using the MicroTrack as a transcription recorder for location sound
audio recordings so the quality really isn't a huge deal to me but I though
I'd mention my observations. At low data rates ie 96kbps and 128kbps the MP3
encoder really sucks compared to say the encoder that is in something like
Sound Forge. Anyone else using the MicroTrack for MP3 and if so have you
made a similar observervation?

Charles Tomaras
Seattle, WA

I've also tried using the Microtrack for transcriptions this week, but
my problems are so much more serious than sucky encoders! Of the 90
files I tried to record, at least 30 of them did not work..

I am feeding the 1/8 inch stereo from my portable mixer 1/8 inch mic
out. Levels and sound quality are acceptible for transcripts. It
appears to be a good substitution for my pro walkman. I'm running
version 1.2.3. I'm using both the internal battery and an outboard USB
battery pack.

In the most common scenario, the Microtrack locks up in the middle of
recording a file, the display freezes and the signal level lights stop
flashing. oddly enough it still passes audio to the headphone out, but
no buttons work. Only holding down the power for over 10 seconds will
finally reboot it and voila, no file was recorded. The next new file
will have that same file name.

In the second of the major failure scenarios, I am recording a file, I
push the Rec button to finish, the screen shows "writing files" but
there is no data in the files! (you have to transfer to a computer to
see data size, but the microtrack will show you that your half hour
recording is only 1 second.)

The third failure happened only once, i think, I finalized a half hour
recording, i saw the "writing files" screen, I powered down, but the
next time I powered up, that file did not exist!

Now I'm only home for the weekend before pushing out again - no one
else seems to report these kinds of problems on the newsgroups. I have
a host of "little issues" but I don't think i need to take the time now
with these catastrophic problems.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marky A

Barring epic operator error, it sounds like you have a bad unit.
Consider exchanging it for a functioning unit. My first unit recorded
fine, but the lcd screen went bad- useable, but bad. Swee****er sent
out a new one with a returned shipping already paid for. That is
service. The replacement unit is fine, and getting even finer w every
firmware rev.

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"Mark Mandler" wrote ...
I've also tried using the Microtrack for transcriptions this
week, but my problems are so much more serious than
sucky encoders! Of the 90 files I tried to record, at least
30 of them did not work..

I'd send it back in exchange for a good one. Note also that
they behave strangely when power is connected/disconnected
via the USB connector. Be sure you don't have an intermittent
connection there.