Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Best DAW

First of all, sorry for my english. It´s not very good.

I know this question has been done hundreds of times, but with all this
new
hardware coming out month to month, it´s logical.

I´m planing to buy a new DAW (pc) only dedicated to audio. The only
thing I
plan to keep from what I allready have is de video card (Matrox 550)
and my
fantastic RME multiface.
My question goes more to processor an motherboard. I have allways used
AMD,
and has given no problems, so I was looking the new Athlon 64 X2 with
socket
939. What do you think about them? Any problems?
And the mobo. I have had problems (probably bad luck) with Asus. I have
had
less problems with Gigabyte.
I would like to hear some suggestions and experiences on DAW´s with
these
processors and with which mobo it works fine.

Thank you very much and have a nice day

Posted to rec.audio.pro

You can check out my DAWs at http://www.pcDAW.net for hardware ideas.

I've always used Asus boards & have had no problem with them. I've
never used AMD processors but they are definitely the best bang for the
buck.

Mike
http://www.pcDAW.net

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Animix

I've got 3 x workstations in my studio. The most recent build was done over
the holidays and is posted below. It is extemely stable and fast but it is
not extremely stable with a Matrox G550. For some reason the 550 is the kiss
of death for this system, and for some others I have read about. Right now
I'm using a pair of G450's running 4 x displays: I'll probably upgrade to a
Xentera 4 GP pretty soon.

ASUS A8V-Deluxe (most recent bios as of Dec. 24th 2005)
AMD 64 4200 X 2 @ 2425MHz per core
4G Corsair CAS2. (only 3 G show up as available to system due to southbridge
resource allocation snafu, though the system does actually utilize them )
Matrox G450 AGP & PCI (PCI in slot 1 of mobo)
WD 80G 8MB IDE1 master (system drive-7200 RPM))
Maxtor 200G IDE 1 Slave (audio drive-7200RPM)
NEC DVD-RW IDE2 master
Seagate Barracuda 400G - IDE 2 slave (dedicated sample drive-7200 RPM)
WD 250G backup drive in external USB 2.0 case (7200 RPM).
Magma 13 slot chassis (32 bit) with the host card in slot 4 of the A8V-DLX
and the PCI cards ordered as follows in the Magma if you are facing the back
of the chassis, this order is from L to R as follows
1. RME HDSP 9652 (Card #1 in control panel)
2. empty
3. UAD-1
4. empty
5. RME HDSP 9652 (Card #2 in control panel)
6. empty
7. UAD-1
8. RME Multiface PCI (Card #3 in control panel)
9. empty
10. UAD-1
11. UAD-1
12. empty
13. empty

This computer is networked to another DAW with the Marvel 10/1000 LAN
controller. The RME cards are all on a single IRQ unshared with any other
device, the three of the UAD-1 cards are on a single IRQ not sharing with
any other device and one of the UAD-1 cards is on a separate IRQ sharing
with the LAN controller but no other device and they are showing no signs of
having an IRQ trainwreck.

USB is enabled with the ports supplying the following devices:
1. USB external hard drive case
2. Steinberg Syncrosoft key
3. MAudio Pro Station 88
4. Steinberg Houston controller.

LPT, serial ports, onboard audio , Promise and VIA RAID/SATA contrtollers
currently disabled in BIOS.

The production softwa
Cubase SX3x
Wavelab 5x
BFD-BFDXFL
Jamstix
Jammer 6.0
Groove Agent II
Ivory
Trilogy
Halion Player
GPO

Tweaks:

All of the recommended XP tweaks (except disabling of networking) as set out
in the WINDOWS XP DAW OPTIMIZATION GUIDE from Tascam, plus the *RAM* tweak
that allows applications to uitlize the entire 4G avalibale to the system,
as follows:

1. Download masm32 (http://www.masm32.com/) and install it (after it
installs, it brings up a command prompt window, just close it. Do NOT have
it perform any of those functions.)
2. Copy the Nuendo3.exe to another location for backup purposes
3. Place another copy of Cubase, etc.exe (or whichever sequencer you use) in
the C:\masm32\bin directory
4. Open up your command prompt and type "cd c:\masm32\bin"
5. Type "editbin /largeaddressaware Nuendo3.exe"
6. Move the copy of the Cubase, etc.exe file you just modified back to the
regular Cubase, etc. directory
7. Open your boot.ini file (located in C: - you may have to open any folder
and go Tools-Folder Options-View-Select Show Hidden Files and Folders and
UNcheck the "Hide protected operating system files" to see this file)
8. Add "/3GB" after "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS.. ." so it
should look like similar to
"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micr osoft Windows XP
Professional" /3GB /fastdetect...."
9. If you have a UAD-1 card, you also need to add "/Userva=2900" after the
/3GB switch, so it should look like similar to
"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=" Micr osoft Windows XP
Professional" /3GB /Userva=2900 /fastdetect...."
10. Save the modified boot.ini file
11. Reboot

Only took about 5 minutes to get it all up and running...... ;o)

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Thomas Jespersen

On 3 Jan 2006 13:48:45 -0800, wrote:

First of all, sorry for my english. It´s not very good.

Your english is fine for me (I am non-english as well).

In addition to the answers you get here, you can take a look at
www.futureproducers.com forum where they got a forum dedicated to DAW/PC
sound-systems.

I will keep my eyes on this thread, as I wish to build a DAW myself
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff@work

"Thomas Jespersen" wrote in message
On 3 Jan 2006 13:48:45 -0800, wrote:

First of all, sorry for my english. It´s not very good.

Your english is fine for me (I am non-english as well).

In addition to the answers you get here, you can take a look at
www.futureproducers.com forum where they got a forum dedicated to DAW/PC
sound-systems.

I will keep my eyes on this thread, as I wish to build a DAW myself

And there's always mailto
geoff