Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico

Default Looper and pitch shifting pedals...

Hi,
what kind of electronics can I use on stage to create loops and play on
them? Some pedal thing would be preferable...
I remember something from Akai but I guess there are many others...

And what about some "pitch shift" pedals? I'd use it for a closed
microphoned sax on a preatty loud stage...

Thanks
F.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dan Ash

There are a number of popular looping units out there - most with
limited feature sets that may or may not work for your needs. But you
might require a separate looper and a *harmonizer* which will
automatically provide harmony - not just a pitch above or below at some
fixed interval. I'm not aware of any looping pedal with an intelligent
harmonization feature.

I usually divide the hardware looping devices into 'phrase samplers' and
more advanced units which provide features like an adjustable decay
setting (usually referred to as a feedback control). If you don't need
your loops to morph from one place to another or do some sophisticated
mangling of the original signal, a phrase sampler such as the new
Digitech JamMan or the Boss RC-20XL will probably be fine. Boss also
offers the DD-20, Line 6 has the DL-4, Akai reissued the Headrush E2 and
there are a number of other tools currently in production. If you need
more variable feedback, 'undo' and midi sync (must-have features for
me), the top-of-the-line unit is probably the (mono) Gibson Digital
Echoplex Pro. Several other fantastic devices are no longer in
production, such as the (stereo) Electrix Repeater or the original
Lexicon JamMan. People like the Boomerang, which I think has several
pre-set feedback/decay rates. Many/most of the more sophisticated
devices usually require a separate midi footpedal controller to allow
hand-free operation.

There is a wealth of knowledge available, including product reviews and
an internet list you can subscribe to at
http://www.loopers-delight.com/loop.html.

I don't have any hands-on knowledge of intelligent pitch shifters, but I
understand that the new technology handles vocals pretty well, so the
vocal qualities of your saxophone can be preserved in the harmonized
output. Good luck!

Dan Ash
White Plains, NY

Hi,
what kind of electronics can I use on stage to create loops and play on
them? Some pedal thing would be preferable...
I remember something from Akai but I guess there are many others...

And what about some "pitch shift" pedals? I'd use it for a closed
microphoned sax on a preatty loud stage...

Thanks
F.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
banjaxed

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 13:56:31 +0100, "Federico"
wrote:

Hi,
what kind of electronics can I use on stage to create loops and play on
them? Some pedal thing would be preferable...
I remember something from Akai but I guess there are many others...

And what about some "pitch shift" pedals? I'd use it for a closed
microphoned sax on a preatty loud stage...

Thanks
F.

I just got the Boss PS-5 "Super pitch shifter" pedal.
For my guitar rig. Coupled with an expression pedal, it is a very
versatile unit that can also do smart hamonizing and off-the -wall
detune effects.

ISo far, I've tried it with a microphone one vocals and with a few
keyboard sources and the tracking is excellent.

There are quite a few of these things available on the market.
Here's a sample of what's out there

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/products/C6287.jsp

Hope this helps.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico

Sorry for my english!
The looper pedal and the pitch shifting pedal are meant to be two different
pedals!
Thanks again
F.