Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,alt.os.windows-xp
Tomas Lucatorto

Default Linux and Digital Audio? Is This Some Kind Of Joke?

I keep reading about this Linux stuff and for the life of me I just
don't get it?
I've looked at websites talking about the wonders of low latency and
high availability of Linux but yet in real practice I have yet to see a
single studio using Linux.
So where is the catch?
Free programs?
Free support?
Free everything?
If it's all free, where are the people using Linux for audio?
I sure as hell can't find them.
Damm, the last time I remember free was during pledge week at my
college.
Beer was free everywhere.
Same thing for home'cumming'.
Tomas

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,alt.os.windows-xp
DeeAa

"Tomas Lucatorto" wrote in message
oups.com...
I keep reading about this Linux stuff and for the life of me I just
don't get it?
I've looked at websites talking about the wonders of low latency and
high availability of Linux but yet in real practice I have yet to see a
single studio using Linux.
So where is the catch?
Free programs?
Free support?
Free everything?
If it's all free, where are the people using Linux for audio?
I sure as hell can't find them.
Damm, the last time I remember free was during pledge week at my
college.
Beer was free everywhere.
Same thing for home'cumming'.

Free software is not very easy to set up always. I for one never have gotten
Linux to run properly on my machine. The system works, but there are too
many add-ons that lack driver support etc, starting from I can't get the
dual monitor system to work as I like it in Windows.

Also the sound programs I have tried, Krystal, Audacity etc...nice stuff,
but not really pro. Perhaps I haven't tried them out enough, but do they
support the popular&available VST and Direct-X effects etc? I doubt that. Is
there proper automation/system links in Krystal? Does it work well with ADAT
link and outboard recorders?

I suppose one could build a very nice&powerful music workstation in Linux,
but I'm also sure it would require quite a lot of learning and tweaking of
the system.
Even some 'audiowork specific' distros I've tried seem too hard. Can't even
get my Echo Audio card working properly due to driver support problems.

When I've had problems adding stuff, getting audio to run, it has always
included lenghthy tweaks using a command line and editors, and editing and
finding various system files etc.
And still I don't even understand the Linux filesystem very well, it's not
too easy to even make it so that my docs always go to a certain hard drive
and the music files to other...it has this home folder system that just
complicates keeping track of where the files actually are, etc. Not a very
'transparent' system for the user unless you are really compenent with
command line computer usage etc.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,alt.os.windows-xp
Peter Köhlmann

The racist, liar and software thief Tomas Lucatorto (flatfish) nymshifted:

snip flatfish droppings

You lately nymshifted to

Abbie Diaz, Aftab Singh, Allen Cusimano, Allison Juergans, allison_hunt1969,
Anna Banger, anonymous, Archie, Archie Moss Bunker, Archie Watermann, Baba
Booey, Babu Singh, Bill Thomson, bill.gates.loves.me, bison, Bjarne Jensen,
BklynBoy, bonobo magilla, Boyce Mabri, Buster, Charles LeGrand, Charlie,
Choppers McGee, Chris Thomas, Christine Abernathy, Claire Lynn, Clippy,
Collie Entragion, Colon Singh, common cold, Connie Hines, Corrie, Corrie
Titlaand, Curtis Wilson, dbx_boy, Deadpenguin, Debbie, Devon Dawson,
dismoqualifetch, Donn Carlsbad, Dr.Long John Jones, Elliot Zimmermann,
Elwin Winters, Emmanuel Arias, Fawn Lebowitz, flatfish+++, foamy, frank
boson, Franz Klammer, Fred Simmons, gabriele howorth, Gary Stewart,
GayClod, George Littlefield, Gilbert, Gilbert Hochaim, gilligan, Greg
Finnigan, Greg Laplante, Hans Kimm, Harry Hilton, Harvey Fogel, Heather,
Heather69, Heather Trax, Heddy Seafield, hepcat, Hugh Himless, Ishmeal
Hafizi, itchy balls, Ivan Mctavish, IvanaB, Jeff Szarka, Joe Josephson,
John, John Shelton, Jorge Jorgensen, Jose Lopez, juke_joint, kaptain kaput,
Karel Olish, Karla Snodgress, kathy_krantz, Kendra, Kenny Dugan, Kent
Dorfman, Kyle Cadet, L Didio, Laura Shillingford, Le Farter, Le Yammy, Les
Turner, Leslie Bassman, Lilly, Lindy, Lisa Shavas, Lisa Cottmann, Lois
Hunt, Long, long_tong_ling, Lukumi Babalu Aye, Luna Lane, Major Mynor,
McSwain, Mogumbo, Moses, Mooshoo Bong Singh, ,
nate_mcspook, okto_pussy, OSS KDE User, Paddy McCrockett, Patricia, Patty
Poppins, Peter Gluckman, Peter Kohlmann, Phillip Cornwall, phoung, phoung
quoak, pickle_pete, **** Clam, Poopy Pants McGee, Quimby, Quinton Magee,
Quizno Backer, Rich, Richard P. Johnson, Richie, Richie O'Toole, Robert
Strunk, rothstein_ivan, Sally Vadi, Sammy, Sammy Whalen, Saul Goldblatt,
Schlomo Smykowski, Sharon Cackle, Sharon Hubbasland, Sean, Sean Fitzhenry,
Sean Macpherson, Sewer Rat, sewer_clown, Sherlock Holmes , Simon, sista
sledgehammer, slacker.mcspritze, Spammy_Davis, spanny_davis, Stephan
Simonsen, Stephanie Mannerz, Stephen, Stephen Olsen, Stephen Townshend,
SuckyB, SunnyB, Susan Bladder, Susan Lapinski, Susan Wong, Suzie Wong,
Swampee, Ted Bennington, The Beaver, Thorsten, Timmy Luncford , Toby Rastus
Roosovelt III, Tomas Bicsak, Tomas Lucatorto, Tori, Tori Wassermann, Trace
Dennison, Tracee, Traci, trailerpark, Trina Swallows, Trolly, Trudi
Simpkins, Tryxie Lustern, Vince Fontain, Vladimir Yepifano, Walter Bubniak,
Wang Mycock, Wasser, Wendy Duzz, Whizzer, Wilbur J, Willy Wong, Winnie
Septos, Wobbles and zyklon_C.
Plus many, many, many more.
--
Windows was created to keep stupid people away from UNIX."
-- Tom Christiansen

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,alt.os.windows-xp
Malware Magnet

On 2006-01-02, flatfish wrote:

I just don't get it?

Truer words were never spoken.

--
Back from the restroom? Better scan your Windows system.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,alt.os.windows-xp
Malware Magnet

On 2006-01-02, DeeAa wrote:
[...]

snip

Well there you go. Linux is not a good system for the incompetent.
Well said.

--
Back from the restroom? Better scan your Windows system.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,alt.os.windows-xp
kegwasher

DeeAa wrote:

Free software is not very easy to set up always. I for one never have
gotten Linux to run properly on my machine. The system works, but there
are too many add-ons that lack driver support etc, starting from I can't
get the dual monitor system to work as I like it in Windows.

Are you referring to windows annoying habit of splitting selection boxes
across the border? I have three different dual monitor setups (don't ask
why). One uses cinerama for the windowsish way to split windows, one runs
without cinerama so I get independent resolution displays and on my cluster
I use synergy with some other tools to weld three machines into one with
three heads.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,alt.os.windows-xp
Rick

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 18:29:08 -0800, Tomas Lucatorto wrote:

I keep reading about this Linux stuff and for the life of me I just don't
get it?

Well then, don't use it.

--
Rick

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,alt.os.windows-xp
7

DeeAa wrote:

"Tomas Lucatorto" wrote in message
oups.com...
I keep reading about this Linux stuff and for the life of me I just
don't get it?
I've looked at websites talking about the wonders of low latency and
high availability of Linux but yet in real practice I have yet to see a
single studio using Linux.
So where is the catch?
Free programs?
Free support?
Free everything?
If it's all free, where are the people using Linux for audio?
I sure as hell can't find them.
Damm, the last time I remember free was during pledge week at my
college.
Beer was free everywhere.
Same thing for home'cumming'.

Free software is not very easy to set up always.

Windopes takes about 2 to 3 hours to set up.
Free livecds do all the setting up automagically
in 3 minutes and run without installing off of the cd.
They have now the world's biggest supported driver list
more so than anything windopes has to offer out of the box.
Its now a lot more advanced technology than legacy windope stuff.
300+ to choose from - all open source, free and
with source code and some are dedicated solely
to music software packages (e.g. dynebolic)
http://www.livecdlist.com

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,alt.os.windows-xp
DeeAa

"7" wrote in message
. uk...
Free livecds do all the setting up automagically
in 3 minutes and run without installing off of the cd.
They have now the world's biggest supported driver list
more so than anything windopes has to offer out of the box.
Its now a lot more advanced technology than legacy windope stuff.
300+ to choose from - all open source, free and
with source code and some are dedicated solely
to music software packages (e.g. dynebolic)
http://www.livecdlist.com

LOL come an' try 'em on my system.
Most distros boot up OK, but no sound, no video, no nothin' except the net.
(Knoppix, Gentoo, about 5 other distros tried)
No drivers for soundcard, scanner, printer (well one printer worked right
off the bat but printed 5 pages of symbols for each normal page) DV-cam
(dunno why it didn't react at all to the firewire, like there was no port at
all in the machine), Ip-phone, dualview (although I did get it to work once
I managed to get binary drivers for it from NVidia and edited the Xconf)

Mozilla worked fine, although I never found out how to make it play back
MP3's due to soundcard issues. Activated the mobo's AC97 and after that I
got sound but all wrong, weird bass rumbles only, sounded like it tried to
play them with all wrong settings, like 8-bit and half speed or something.
Evolution etc. seemed to work OK too, except that it kept disconnecting my
cable modem, and I had to make a script to run to desktop to reactivate
network.

Also they don't really seem to grasp what's going on my SATA raid system,
until a friend helped with some heavy editing of cofig files...and then when
I tried installing some drivers for the Echo soundcard as per instructions
(couldn't be found even after adding several repositories) the whole
software installing system went haywire and after that the whole system was
nigh unuseable, anything I tried to install the installer system crashed and
that's it.

Other than that the system seemed stable and nice; mostly used Ubuntu which
I also installed on the HD. But since I couldn't basically do nothing but
surf and write documents and the system was also noteably slower than Xp Pro
on the same machine, I later uninstalled the whole lot.

I know, my machine is old&crappy; an ASUS P4 4Ghz, 1G, ~0,7TB on 7 HD's both
SATA and IDE, 3 raid setups zero and one, 6800LE, and a lot of outboard USB
and firewire gear ranging from USB-coffeecup warmer to an USB digital
television receiver, webcam etc.
But in Xp everything has so far worked plug and play. Linux? In my dreams.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,alt.os.windows-xp
Linønut

After takin' a swig o' grog, Tomas Lucatorto belched out this bit o' wisdom:

I keep reading about this Linux stuff and for the life of me I just
don't get it?

How is like in the Ukraine?

--
I love the smell of code compiling in the morning. It smells like... Freedom.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,alt.os.windows-xp
Peter Köhlmann

begin virus.txt.scr Linønut wrote:

After takin' a swig o' grog, Tomas Lucatorto belched out this bit o'
wisdom:

I keep reading about this Linux stuff and for the life of me I just
don't get it?

How is like in the Ukraine?

Well, flatfish has returned to his old technique of using open relays.
Not that it helps him in disguising. It just shows that he has no point,
never had any and also never will have one. People who have something
worthwile to say don't nymshift
--
Computers are like air conditioners -
they stop working properly when you open Windows

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,alt.os.windows-xp
George Cotton

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 17:58:26 +0200, DeeAa wrote:

LOL come an' try 'em on my system.
Most distros boot up OK, but no sound, no video, no nothin' except the net.
(Knoppix, Gentoo, about 5 other distros tried)
No drivers for soundcard, scanner, printer (well one printer worked right
off the bat but printed 5 pages of symbols for each normal page) DV-cam
(dunno why it didn't react at all to the firewire, like there was no port at
all in the machine), Ip-phone, dualview (although I did get it to work once
I managed to get binary drivers for it from NVidia and edited the Xconf)

That's been my experience with Linux as well on my Abit P4 system.
I'm starting to think that the people supporting Linux are using
older hardware that has been around long enough to get reverse engineered
and thus supported by Linux.

If Linux is so big and growing like the Linux pundits keep squawking, why
is the hardware support so dismal? Why don't companies like Lexmark and
ATI provide quality drivers with full functionality for Linux?

I know, my machine is old&crappy; an ASUS P4 4Ghz, 1G, ~0,7TB on 7 HD's both
SATA and IDE, 3 raid setups zero and one, 6800LE, and a lot of outboard USB
and firewire gear ranging from USB-coffeecup warmer to an USB digital
television receiver, webcam etc.

Your system is a typical one for an advanced home user. Of course the
Linux pundits will cry "why do you need this, that and the other thing"
because they can't accept the fact that their beloved OS trips and wheezes
on popular hardware.
Or they are willing to spend days compiling things, playing with
configuration files and scouring the internet in order to make things work.

But in Xp everything has so far worked plug and play. Linux? In my
dreams.

More like in your nightmares
I got a gamepad for Christmas.
Plugged it into Windows XP machine and inserted the CD and it works great.
Linux?
The one machine I have running Suse 10 thinks it's a memory stick!!!

One last item, notice the reaction of the Linux supporters.
Every exceuse in the playbook is used in a vain attempt to try and
convince people that the problem is *YOU* not Linux. But anyone who has
tried Linux can judge for themselves.
I think the fact that Linux is free yet rarely seen outside of geek
circles says it all.

Imagine if you will that Microsoft released Vista for free. They wouldn't
be able to print the CDs fast enough.
Yet, here we have Linux, which according to the fine people in
comp.os.linux.advocacy is *all over the place* and free every day of the
year.

It just doesn't add up.
Someone is not telling the truth and I think the finger points to the
crackpots over in comp.os.linux.advocacy.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,alt.os.windows-xp
Mr. Tapeguy

I suppose it may depend on what kind of digital audio work you are
doing but until I see ProTools, Nuendo or Logic for Linux, I think it's
going to be relegated to those who are interested in using it but not
doing professional work at the top levels. Most serious working
studios use ProTools which is certainly not a statement in favor of
Windows - close to half of them are Mac. Regardless, that's what's
available for those who need to spend their time recording not tweaking
their computers.

A lack of industry-standard software will keep serious engineers away.
As if that weren't enough, many engineers aren't interested and more
than that either don't have the time, the skill or both to spending
working on their computers as opposed to using their computers.

cb

Tomas Lucatorto wrote:
I keep reading about this Linux stuff and for the life of me I just
don't get it?
I've looked at websites talking about the wonders of low latency and
high availability of Linux but yet in real practice I have yet to see a
single studio using Linux.
So where is the catch?
Free programs?
Free support?
Free everything?
If it's all free, where are the people using Linux for audio?
I sure as hell can't find them.
Damm, the last time I remember free was during pledge week at my
college.
Beer was free everywhere.
Same thing for home'cumming'.
Tomas

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,alt.os.windows-xp
Linønut

After takin' a swig o' grog, Mr. Tapeguy belched out this bit o' wisdom:

A lack of industry-standard software will keep serious engineers away.
As if that weren't enough, many engineers aren't interested and more
than that either don't have the time, the skill or both to spending
working on their computers as opposed to using their computers.

Not many Larry Fasts around here, eh?

I guess all the PAIA engineers up an' died.

Walter became Wendy and lost his engineering balls, too.

Yamaha and Korg went analog.

And sound engineers are no longer technical people.

Who'd a thunk it?

Well wait just a minute, Pilgrim! What the hell is Korg doing basing a
synthesizer on the Linux operating system!!!?????

http://korg.com/gear/prod_info.asp?A_PROD_NO=OASYS

OASYS is not only an entirely new instrument, but a completely new
platform to support Korg innovation for years to come. Powered by an
ultra fast computer processor, and running newly-developed
proprietary software atop Linux underpinnings, OASYS offers all the
benefits of a variable software system, backed by the hardware
integrity that can only come from a fully-integrated instrument
design.

No wonder they call you "Mr. Tapeguy".

--
I love the smell of code compiling in the morning. It smells like... Freedom.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,alt.os.windows-xp
DeeAa

"7" wrote in message
.uk...

All it says is you make poor choices.
If it were down to me, I would test them with a livecd like DSL or Knoppix
before I buy. And also check Linux HCL lists before buying.

Well, when buying the stuff I didn't have Linux in mind yet.
However the latest acquisition, a Samsumg ML2250 laser printer, I made sure
it works with Linux as well.
Says so on the box even, 'Linux compatible'.

Worked fine on Xp by just installing the drivers, Linux recognizes it OK but
for some weird reason, for every page I print with it, it also prints a few
pages of garbage.

I mean, I can play an mpeg video and record a CD at 16x speed from the
same
hard disk without interruption.
I'm using a 750MHz Duron PC with 256Mb of RAM.
Does your system do any of that?

Uh, you think that's hard use? I could burn CD's and play Operation
Flashpoint without interruption already on my P2-800Mhz machine. But that's
ancient technology...no wonder it works with Linux well.

Try this:I can burn DVDs at 8x while rendering full-DVD-quality video for
yet another DVD on the HD WHILE capturing video data for a third one no
problem or dropped frames.

Or how about running plus 30 stereo tracks in cubase with nearly a dozen
direct-x and VST effects and no playback problems?

The performance tester dor the Echo soundcard says it could run nearly five
hundred audio tracks simultaneously based on performance, but I have never
needed more than about 30.

I doubt it!!!
So despite ****ing money away on hardware and donating loads more
for windope ex-pee you don't really have anything do you??!!

I don't undertand what you mean with 'anything'.

I hardly also donate loads of money. I bought Xp Pro a few years back for
under a hundred OEM, and Office 2000 previously for also under a hundred,
teacher&student edition.
Besides that, almost all the programs I have are either freeware or came
along with some equipment I've bought, a few audio tools being the most
notable stuff I've actually paid for.
Since then I've used freeware tools like Nlite to create a better Xp install
disk with Sp2 and W2k resource pack tools and whatever drivers I've wanted,
so if I should want to do a new install, it'd be a breeze.

I use the system heavily for studio work, I do my work writing etc. on it,
and one of the major things I have been doing lately is besided creating new
DV videos into DVD productions also converting my old VHS tapes onto DVD. A
while back I did some work for a local school, copying their old but good
audio tapes onto MP3CD's where they are easy to use. In addition I also do a
lot of photo work on it for hobby, play the latest games such as Quake 4 and
Call of Duty 2 etc, sometimes I make webpages and such and of course all the
while I also use it for news and mail and as a home entertainment system,
voip phone, calculating powder loads for ammunition, use map software and
record TV shows for later viewing, to name a few uses.

I really doubt there's any way to do that in Linux even if you spent 1000
bucks more for getting all parts absolutely Linux-compatible ( I always just
buy the cheapest possible accessories ).
For instance, I paid about $40 for the digital USB TV receiver. Can I get
one for Linux? How much would it be?

I don't have anything against Linux per se, and I do use a lot of free
software like Open Office ( I do have Office too, but OO is still good) and
Gimp, and I always switch to free software the moment they become useable as
OO and Gimp have. They work well.

But so far, I just can't see what Linux would do better for me, and
currently it does a lot worse job.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,alt.os.windows-xp
Mr. Tapeguy

wrote:
[...]

You can misrepresent what I said if you wish but I'll plead guilty to
generalizing. Still, as I very clearly stated, it depends what kind of
digital audio you're working on. I have no issues with Linux and
merely state my experience as far as what the vast majority of sound
engineers are working on. You use the Korg OASYS as an example and if
that's the best option for that unit, great. You drop some names,
super. I don't know if the Korg example even applies. Maybe "digital
audio" is just too broad a term to even fool with.

When I think of digital audio I tend to think of studio recording and
mixing. I suppose that is some sort of bias and somewhat limiting to
the general concept of digital audio. Nevertheless, I simply don't see
either in daily encounters with small studios and producers or in NARAS
seminars with Grammy-winning producers such as Al Schmidt, a
preponderance of Linux. That doesn't mean it's not a good OS. Market
share has never been an uniform indicator of the best product but
Windows still holds a slim majority and Apple OS X a close second.
Many creative professionals (again, not all) prefer to spending their
time using the tools to create rather than tweaking the tool itself and
with Linux, since the options are drastically more limited and devoid
of the most popular recording options, you can't deny that it is less
likely to attract and retain more users.

You can advocate for Linux all you want but until Avid, Apple and
Yamaha cooperate or some other Linux-based software takes over the
market, it is going to be relegated to a limited role, just as it is
elsewhere.

Cheers,

"Mr. No Tapeguy" :

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,alt.os.windows-xp
Linønut

After takin' a swig o' grog, Mr. Tapeguy belched out this bit o' wisdom:

You can misrepresent what I said if you wish but I'll plead guilty to
generalizing. Still, as I very clearly stated, it depends what kind of
digital audio you're working on. I have no issues with Linux and
merely state my experience as far as what the vast majority of sound
engineers are working on. You use the Korg OASYS as an example and if
that's the best option for that unit, great. You drop some names,
super. I don't know if the Korg example even applies. Maybe "digital
audio" is just too broad a term to even fool with.

Bingo.

You can advocate for Linux all you want but until Avid, Apple and
Yamaha cooperate or some other Linux-based software takes over the
market, it is going to be relegated to a limited role, just as it is
elsewhere.

Make no mistake. I don't give two hoots if Linux "takes over" any
market (though it seems to be poised to do that in certain server
tasks). All I care about is that the community is large and diverse
enough to support doing almost everything you'd ever want an operating
system to do.

For me, Linux is a nice desktop, a cool personal server, and it even has
some decent audio/video functionality. And, best of all, I get to
peruse the code.

Anyway, I didn't mean to bust your chops, especially since this whole
thread was started by a cross-poster. You know, one of those guys who
likes putting ants, spiders, and wasps in the same jar and then watch
them fight.

--
I love the smell of code compiling in the morning. It smells like... Freedom.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,alt.os.windows-xp
JEDIDIAH

On 2006-01-02, Tomas Lucatorto wrote:
I keep reading about this Linux stuff and for the life of me I just
don't get it?
I've looked at websites talking about the wonders of low latency and
high availability of Linux but yet in real practice I have yet to see a
single studio using Linux.
So where is the catch?
Free programs?
Free support?
Free everything?
If it's all free, where are the people using Linux for audio?
I sure as hell can't find them.

So? Some of us remember when you would get laughed at for trying
to use a PC for pro audio.

[deletia]

--
NO! There are no CODICILES of Fight Club! |||
/ | \

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,alt.os.windows-xp
JEDIDIAH

On 2006-01-02, George Cotton wrote:
[...]

If Lexmark and ATI are the best you can come up with then things
on Linux aren't quite so bad after all.

Lexmark makes crap and sues 3rd party replacement vendors.

ATI is second best in a space where second best might as well
not bother.

[deletia]

Although, Linux supports ATI hardware suitably well to get work
done with it. I don't treat this machine like a PSX2, so I can't comment
on that kind of usage.