Posted to rec.audio.pro
Cara Finn

Default Microphone directly to my PC

I just bought myself a Sony F-V420 Microphone for Christmas. I've connected
it directly to my Soundblaster Audigy Card but I can't seem to get any sound
out of it unless I turn the Mic WAY up and add the +20dB feature. I'm
guessing it's beacause the mic needs an additional power source. Is there
anyway to get around this like a simple software fix?

Dan

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"Cara Finn" wrote in message

I just bought myself a Sony F-V420 Microphone for
Christmas. I've connected it directly to my Soundblaster
Audigy Card but I can't seem to get any sound out of it
unless I turn the Mic WAY up and add the +20dB feature.

Typical for a straight-up dynamic mic.

I'm guessing it's beacause the mic needs an additional
power source. Is there anyway to get around this like a
simple software fix?

Since the vendor touts its high power alnico magnet, its no doubt a dynamic
mic that needs no external power. But dynamic mics do need a lot of
amplification.

I'm surprised that your sound card can't cut the mustard. Is there some
hidden gain control, like a master record level that you haven't turned up?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"Don Nafe" wrote in message

"Cara Finn" wrote in message
I just bought myself a Sony F-V420 Microphone for
Christmas. I've connected it directly to my Soundblaster
Audigy Card but I can't seem to get any sound out of it
unless I turn the Mic WAY up and add the +20dB feature.
I'm guessing it's beacause the mic needs an additional
power source. Is there anyway to get around this like a
simple software fix?

Are you sure you're in the "mic" input

Only the mic input on an Audigy has a +20dB switch.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ben Bradley

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:43:22 GMT, "Cara Finn"
wrote:

I just bought myself a Sony F-V420 Microphone for Christmas. I've connected
it directly to my Soundblaster Audigy Card but I can't seem to get any sound
out of it unless I turn the Mic WAY up and add the +20dB feature. I'm
guessing it's beacause the mic needs an additional power source. Is there
anyway to get around this like a simple software fix?

After going through several links, I found out what I suspected,
it's a dynamic mic:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_Unidire...8.html?tag=nav
so it doesn't need or use an external power source. But the output
level of dynamics is usually a good bit lower than condensers (such as
the small mics that come with computers and small portable recorders),
so the "mic input" gain does need to be higher. Are you sure you're
going to the card's "Mic In" instead of the "Line In"?

Dan

Note to Trevor Audio Opinions 9 November 7th 05 08:45 AM
FS: Pro Audio Gear, Parts, Accessories [email protected] Pro Audio 0 February 28th 05 04:51 PM