Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default phono stage

hi all,
i just tried hooking up a goldring gr 1.2 turntable to my nad 750
receiver. the receiver does not have a phono stage so i tried it
thrpugh the tape 1 connection. the sound was not what i wanted to
hear. it was very low, i had to max out the volume control and it was
very constrained. does a dedicated phono stage make a difference
compared to other inputs?

raymond
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo

wrote in message ...
hi all,
i just tried hooking up a goldring gr 1.2 turntable to my nad 750
receiver. the receiver does not have a phono stage so i tried it
thrpugh the tape 1 connection. the sound was not what i wanted to
hear. it was very low, i had to max out the volume control and it was
very constrained. does a dedicated phono stage make a difference
compared to other inputs?

raymond

The simple answer is yes, without a dedicated phono stage you can't play a
phonograph through and audio system and have it sound like anything. Phono
cartridges require much more amplification than other sources. They are
also equalized during recording (bass cut, treble boosted) and must be
de-equalized during playback (bass boost, treble cut). Without the
de-equalization, the sound is weak and tinny, which is what you are hearing
when you turn up the volume.

All kinds of dedicated preamps on the market and on ebay. You can buy one
from $100 up to $10,000.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Russ Button

wrote:

hi all,
i just tried hooking up a goldring gr 1.2 turntable to my nad 750
receiver. the receiver does not have a phono stage so i tried it
thrpugh the tape 1 connection. the sound was not what i wanted to
hear. it was very low, i had to max out the volume control and it was
very constrained. does a dedicated phono stage make a difference
compared to other inputs?

A dedicated phono stage is essential to turntable for two reasons.

1. The signal level from a turntable is so small that you need a
separate gain stage for it.

2. The signal on the vinyl record is equalized (RIAA curve) in such a
way that
it is essentially un-listenable without the proper equalization going
back the other
way. This RIAA curve EQ is standard in all phono playback circuitry.

You can certainly get a lot of suggestions here as to what choices to make
regarding what to do with your system for phono playback. You might
consider dumping your NAD for another preamp which has a phono section.
Alternately there are any number of dedicated phono preamps to choose from.
Depending on your interest and/or budget, you can get solid state phono
preamps for $25 or less, and you can spend 100 times that much on very
esoteric units.

I used to run an NAD tuner-preamp and found the phono section to be rather
2 dimensional. I used an old Shure M-65 tube based phono preamp for a
while,
using Mullard tubes and it sounded very good. It was almost as good as
the phono
section on a McIntosh C22. I have since moved to using a Bryston preamp
with
its own phono section and am quite happy with it.

Have fun!

Russ

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
DaveW

When using a turntable you HAVE to use a phono-stage pre-amp in order to
adjust the output of the cartridge to the RIAA curve. It will NOT work to
just plug into an Aux. input.

--
DaveW

----------------
wrote in message ...
hi all,
i just tried hooking up a goldring gr 1.2 turntable to my nad 750
receiver. the receiver does not have a phono stage so i tried it
thrpugh the tape 1 connection. the sound was not what i wanted to
hear. it was very low, i had to max out the volume control and it was
very constrained. does a dedicated phono stage make a difference
compared to other inputs?

raymond

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
fastliver

Your turntable MUST be connected to a phono stage. If your reciever
doesn't have one, you must use an external, or "dedicated" one. The
phono stage boosts the voltage, and equalizes the signal in a specific
way, called the RIAA curve. Try it, you'll like it.