Posted to rec.audio.high-end
brooks44

Default HT with hi end stereo

I have a hi end system which consists of a hovland preamp, CJ prem 140 amp,
ML sl-3's for speakers, and I use a CD player, turntable, FM tuner, and sat
radio receiver etc. I would like to incorporate surround sound for my
movie watching. I was hoping to not corrupt my audio system. I was
thinking of getting a center channel and 2 surround speakers, and using a
decent 5.1 reciever with pre amp outs, hooking the center and rears to the
receiver, the preamp outs to my hovland tape loop, and my dvd player into
the receiver. I would use the volume on the hovland for the main R and L
and the volume on the reciever for the rest, and match them all up. I have
a sub as well. will this hook up work?????
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chung

brooks44 wrote:

I have a hi end system which consists of a hovland preamp, CJ prem 140 amp,
ML sl-3's for speakers, and I use a CD player, turntable, FM tuner, and sat
radio receiver etc. I would like to incorporate surround sound for my
movie watching. I was hoping to not corrupt my audio system. I was
thinking of getting a center channel and 2 surround speakers, and using a
decent 5.1 reciever with pre amp outs, hooking the center and rears to the
receiver, the preamp outs to my hovland tape loop, and my dvd player into
the receiver. I would use the volume on the hovland for the main R and L
and the volume on the reciever for the rest, and match them all up. I have
a sub as well. will this hook up work?????

That should work well. I have a setup like that and it is great.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Kalman Rubinson

On 8 Dec 2005 03:18:43 GMT, "brooks44" wrote:

I have a hi end system which consists of a hovland preamp, CJ prem 140 amp,
ML sl-3's for speakers, and I use a CD player, turntable, FM tuner, and sat
radio receiver etc. I would like to incorporate surround sound for my
movie watching. I was hoping to not corrupt my audio system. I was
thinking of getting a center channel and 2 surround speakers, and using a
decent 5.1 reciever with pre amp outs, hooking the center and rears to the
receiver, the preamp outs to my hovland tape loop, and my dvd player into
the receiver. I would use the volume on the hovland for the main R and L
and the volume on the reciever for the rest, and match them all up. I have
a sub as well. will this hook up work?????

Sure. It would be even easier if the Hovland had a "HT Bypass" or
other fixed gain input so that MCH levels could be maintained by the
AVR. Otherwise, you need to set up and use MCH with a marked,
repeatable gain setting on the Hovland.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
David E. Bath

In article ,
"brooks44" writes:
I have a hi end system which consists of a hovland preamp, CJ prem 140 amp,
ML sl-3's for speakers, and I use a CD player, turntable, FM tuner, and sat
radio receiver etc. I would like to incorporate surround sound for my
movie watching. I was hoping to not corrupt my audio system. I was
thinking of getting a center channel and 2 surround speakers, and using a
decent 5.1 reciever with pre amp outs, hooking the center and rears to the
receiver, the preamp outs to my hovland tape loop, and my dvd player into
the receiver. I would use the volume on the hovland for the main R and L
and the volume on the reciever for the rest, and match them all up. I have
a sub as well. will this hook up work?????

Yes, I did something very similar with excellent results. One
difference is that I used a good quality audio switch to choose
whether the receiver or the stereo preamp was driving the stereo power
amp. I added the switch so that I no long had to set the appropriate
volume level on the stereo preamp, or even turn the preamp on at all
when using the surround system.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
brooks44

i dont believe there is a good quality switch. and if you switch your
stereo only power amp out, then what powers the R and L main speakers.
the only way i figure it, is that you have the main R and L speakers
connected to both your stereo amp, and your Surround theatre, which in my
opinion corrupts your stereo listening.
brooks
"David E. Bath" wrote in message
"brooks44" writes:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
David E. Bath

In article ,
"brooks44" writes:
i dont believe there is a good quality switch. and if you switch your
stereo only power amp out, then what powers the R and L main speakers.
the only way i figure it, is that you have the main R and L speakers
connected to both your stereo amp, and your Surround theatre, which in my
opinion corrupts your stereo listening.
brooks

Let me rephrase this. I use a stereo audio line level switch to chose
whether the stereo preamp drives the stereo amplifier or the surround
L/R line level outputs drive the stereo amplifier which powers the
main l and R speakers. With the switch choosing the stereo preamp,
only the stereo preamp drives the stereo power amp just as it does
with no surround system at all. The only difference is that there is
now an extra set of interconnects and the switch between the preamp
and the power amp.

As to whether or not there is a good quality switch, what do you think
is used inside most analog preamps?

"brooks44" writes:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chung

brooks44 wrote:

i dont believe there is a good quality switch. and if you switch your
stereo only power amp out, then what powers the R and L main speakers.
the only way i figure it, is that you have the main R and L speakers
connected to both your stereo amp, and your Surround theatre, which in my
opinion corrupts your stereo listening.
brooks

You do not understand what was said. The switch was not between the
power amps and the speakers. The switch is before the stereo power amp.
In other words, he is switching different signals for the stereo power
amp to amplify.

And yes, it is easy to switch signals into a power amp without signal
degradation. All preamps have such switches.