Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dennis Moore

Default Opinion of Tact 2.0

Would like to hear from people who have used the Tact digital Eq.
What you used it with, if you thought it was worthwhile, and what
it accomplished for you? As well as any problems or deficiencies
you thought it had.

Thanks,
Dennis
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
jav

I have a TacT RCS 2.0S which I had upgraded from the original 2.0 version.
It is an outstanding unit, easily the most important upgrade in my system.
I'm
using it with Mark Levinson 37/380S/360/335, Technics SP-10 MK II/SME IV/
Denon 103D and Magnepan1.6QR speakers and dual Rel Strata III subs. The
TacT smooths out the frequency response, eliminates bass humps and corrects
for time delay. It gives a greater sense of depth and spaciousness and
improves
imaging.

The downside of the Tact is that it's got a steep learning curve and takes
time in tweaking to set it up right. But I'd highly recommend it.

"Dennis Moore" wrote in message
Would like to hear from people who have used the Tact digital Eq.
What you used it with, if you thought it was worthwhile, and what
it accomplished for you? As well as any problems or deficiencies
you thought it had.

Thanks,
Dennis

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Tim McTeague

"Dennis Moore" wrote in message
Would like to hear from people who have used the Tact digital Eq.
What you used it with, if you thought it was worthwhile, and what
it accomplished for you? As well as any problems or deficiencies
you thought it had.

Thanks,
Dennis

I bought the Linkwitz Orion speakers and could not get the bass to stop
booming in my room no matter where I moved them. After various attempts at
using bass traps I bought a refurbished TacT RCS 2.0 and was blown away.
Not only is the bass boom gone at my listening position, some still exists
at other spots in the room, but the clarity, space and detail all seem to
have improved. It seems like the bypass mode actually makes them sound
worse than before I added the TacT but I don't know why that would be. The
instructions are pretty vague and the company's tech support leaves a bit to
be desired but I can't imagine ever going back. Brand new units start
around $4k which I think is too steep. Refurb models, with full warranty,
are $1500 which is still a bit high. I have been following digital room
correction for years, thinking it the best way to improve the sound of
hi-fi, but wonder why no one has come out with more affordable gear. Rives
PARC and others are in the same range. I guess audiophiles are willing to
spend tons of cash on questionable improvements such as cables, rubber feet
and magic clocks but rarely show interest in items that help out the real
stumbling block, the room.

Tim McTeague

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Tip

Hi Dennis,

"Dennis Moore" wrote in message
Would like to hear from people who have used the Tact
digital Eq.
What you used it with, if you thought it was
worthwhile, and what
it accomplished for you? As well as any problems or
deficiencies
you thought it had.

You can lurk around here for more information:

Regards,
Tip

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dennis Moore

Thanks Tip, well for the tip.

Have submitted for membership.

Thanks to the others who have posted.

Dennis

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dennis Moore

Just a follow up here. I now have a Tact RCS 2.0 which I have used for a
few days. I too am blown away. Makes a big improvement. I would
almost say if you aren't doing something similar you probably have a
second rate system in the modern high end world.

Guys, quit worrying about ob vs. sub arguments. Things like whether
this or that test works or not. Get one of these or a similar system.
The difference isn't hard to hear. The improvement is a big step forward.

Dennis
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Tim McTeague

wrote in message ...
What is your opinion of the Orions now that the bass is ok?

Best speakers I have ever heard. Over the last 20 years I have heard lots
of stuff and never heard anything that seemed to do it all for me. Thiel
was the closest but their "edge" was always a bit of a bother. When I would
go out listening I could never find a speaker that got rid of that without
giving up something else. The Orions finally hit the spot. They are
detailed yet not bright, go deeper than the Thiels but have a quality of
bass that I have never heard in audio. It just seems real. Perhaps it is
their dipole configuration. They also seem to just get louder but the sound
does not seem to compress or the soundstage shrink as I have heard before.
When I first put them together and fired them up I noticed right away some
bass nodes that sounded boomy. My demo of the Orions did not show this.
The Thiels did not boom in my room but, even with the REL 10" sub, they move
less air than the Orion's 4 10" woofers. I tried homemade bass traps as
well as a couple of RealTraps but that did little to help. In desperation I
bought a refurbished TacT RCS 2.0. It not only cured the bass problem it
really opened up the soundstage. Once most room issues were gone I could
not believe the clarity. I am totally sold on room correction. After years
of Sonex and other treatments I thought I had a handle on the issue, I was
wrong. You really have to try a TacT to realize what the room is doing to
your sound. Perhaps really large rooms don't mess with things as much but
in my 12x27 basement room it really did a treat.

Tim McTeague