Posted to rec.audio.pro
Enda Hayden

Default Recording vocals outdoors - bad idea?

As we live in an ultra quiet rural area and have a poor sounding rehersal
room, i'd like to know if anyone has tried recording vocals outdoors, or in
a big tent, etc?
I assume there'd be no verb, ambience, etc captured?

Cheers,
Enda

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Enda Hayden wrote:
As we live in an ultra quiet rural area and have a poor sounding rehersal
room, i'd like to know if anyone has tried recording vocals outdoors, or in
a big tent, etc?
I assume there'd be no verb, ambience, etc captured?

Outside in a field it's very dry, with no ambience to speak of. This can
be useful, but you will absolutely have to add some fake reverb even to
make it sound like a realistic dry vocal.

In a big tent it is VERY live, and it's a very bad ambience too with lots
of slapback. A big canvas tent is about the worst possible acoustic I
can think of, and a very popular one for festivals.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ken in Dallas

I've done such recording extensively. TREES! They are so loud!
But they never blended into the tape hiss we used to have. Now
they really stand out. TENTS! They flap like birds. BIRDS!

Was it Laurel or Hardy that used to say, "HORNS! Horns!."

I've also captured small planes and a motor boat without
knowing it till later. And RAIN! ...... Shocking!

I say record environments where they naturally occur.
Most musicians live indoors.

But have fun whatever you do.

Ken in Dallas

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Enda Hayden wrote:
As we live in an ultra quiet rural area and have a poor sounding rehersal
room, i'd like to know if anyone has tried recording vocals outdoors, or in
a big tent, etc?

You may not realize just how much ambient noise there is in an ultra
quiet rural area. Set a mic outside and record for about an hour, then
play back the reocrding ot see what you're really dealing with.
Remember that there will probalby be some wind noise.

Tents are bad places for sound.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 22:06:29 -0500, Enda Hayden wrote
(in article ):

As we live in an ultra quiet rural area and have a poor sounding rehersal
room, i'd like to know if anyone has tried recording vocals outdoors, or in
a big tent, etc?
I assume there'd be no verb, ambience, etc captured?

Cheers,
Enda

Are you in Antarctica?

I don't think there is an outdoor noiseless area of the US.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"Ty Ford" wrote ...
Are you in Antarctica?

I don't think there is an outdoor noiseless area of the US.

Even if you could find a location 100 miles from any
human-created noise, there is still the random air-
movement "rumble" to deal with. Not worth it IMHO.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"Enda Hayden" wrote in
message

As we live in an ultra quiet rural area and have a poor
sounding rehersal room, i'd like to know if anyone has
tried recording vocals outdoors, or in a big tent, etc?

I've never recorded outside, but I've done some SR work
outside.

If you're working out on the lawn, think big anechoic
chamber.

Worry about wind noise.

I assume there'd be no verb, ambience, etc captured?

Agreed. You can use the exteriors of buildings to add some
near reflections.

Seems like a good opportunity to use classic 1950s-1960s
high end vocal micing techniques - LD mics without pop
filters positioned several feet from the vocalist.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Enda Hayden wrote:

As we live in an ultra quiet rural area and have a poor sounding rehersal
room, i'd like to know if anyone has tried recording vocals outdoors, or in
a big tent, etc?
I assume there'd be no verb, ambience, etc captured?

Outside in a field it's very dry, with no ambience to speak of. This can
be useful, but you will absolutely have to add some fake reverb even to
make it sound like a realistic dry vocal.

In a big tent it is VERY live, and it's a very bad ambience too with lots
of slapback. A big canvas tent is about the worst possible acoustic I
can think of, and a very popular one for festivals.

It's amazing how even a crafts fair shade canopy can screw up the sound.
Back in August at the litle festival I produced I covered the stage with
military surplus camo shade netting. That made all the photos look
funny, but it provided some cover and didn't mess up the sound.

--
ha
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich

Mike Rivers wrote:

Enda Hayden wrote:
As we live in an ultra quiet rural area and have a poor sounding rehersal
room, i'd like to know if anyone has tried recording vocals outdoors, or in
a big tent, etc?

You may not realize just how much ambient noise there is in an ultra
quiet rural area. Set a mic outside and record for about an hour, then
play back the reocrding ot see what you're really dealing with.
Remember that there will probalby be some wind noise.

Just a little air motion outdoors puts a lot of racket into the mics.
And yes, even in rural areas there are noises one often overlooks until
hearing them in playback.

That's not always bad. Once I was recording a cowboy singer and during
the fade out after one of his songs one of our horses whinnied. Perfect.
No extra charge.

Tents are bad places for sound.

Amen.

--
ha
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

In a big tent it is VERY live, and it's a very bad ambience too with lots
of slapback. A big canvas tent is about the worst possible acoustic I
can think of, and a very popular one for festivals.

I did a 5.1 channel recording of the Danbury Symphony in one of those
canvase 'band shells' that opens up for performance and folds down into the
back of the platform for storage. That 'shell' had nasty slap back. It was a
matter of placing the mics in a location where none of the mid to upper
range instruments were on a direct reflection path with any part of the
canvas.
The recording turned out fine, with barely any evidence of acoustical
problems. I used cardioide patterns, which drastically reduced unwanted
sounds and that reduced the ambient noise and traffic sounds very
effectively. I remember comparing the mix to our on-camera mics which are
omnis and the ambient noise difference was like night and day!

--
Best Regards,

Mark A. Weiss, P.E.
www.mwcomms.com
-

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Enda Hayden wrote:
As we live in an ultra quiet rural area and have a poor sounding rehersal
room, i'd like to know if anyone has tried recording vocals outdoors, or in
a big tent, etc?
I assume there'd be no verb, ambience, etc captured?

There might be an echo from nearby buildings, a hillside or a belt of
trees.

Outside in a field it's very dry, with no ambience to speak of. This can
be useful, but you will absolutely have to add some fake reverb even to
make it sound like a realistic dry vocal.

In a big tent it is VERY live, and it's a very bad ambience too with lots
of slapback. A big canvas tent is about the worst possible acoustic I
can think of, and a very popular one for festivals.

Nope! A big plastic tent is far, far worse (and they're becoming more
common in the UK).

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich

Arny Krueger wrote:

Seems like a good opportunity to use classic 1950s-1960s
high end vocal micing techniques - LD mics without pop
filters positioned several feet from the vocalist.

Any air motion at all and you're hosed with that approach.

--
ha
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Predrag Trpkov

"Enda Hayden" wrote in message
As we live in an ultra quiet rural area and have a poor sounding rehersal
room, i'd like to know if anyone has tried recording vocals outdoors, or

in
a big tent, etc?
I assume there'd be no verb, ambience, etc captured?

Cheers,
Enda

I've done it, I liked it. The clients enjoyed it. Rock bands.

As long as the music is without quiet, a capella parts, ambient noises of a
quiet rural area like mine shouldn't be a problem. I didn't mind the
occasional bird singing. The wind noise is certain to be a problem so a wind
filter is a must. Nothing fancy, just a simple foam filter on a cardioid
mike.

Predrag