unclefreddy

Default trying to pinpoint problem with Fostex B16 reel-to-reel

if I press [play] the take up reel side doesn't spin, if I help it along a
bit it does ok for a few seconds then if it spins too fast, it bounces and
starts spinning the wrong way for a second the tape goes slack then it
speeds up to catch up and the tape is hanging so low at this point it
snags on the speed calibration knob. Ideally spare parts would be easy to
get and this would be a simple DIY job, I have my doubts though (although
my disassembly to look at the take up motor makes the labor look
part straight forward)

James Perrett

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 03:37:45 GMT, unclefreddy
wrote:

if I press [play] the take up reel side doesn't spin, if I help it along
bit it does ok for a few seconds then if it spins too fast, it bounces
and
starts spinning the wrong way for a second the tape goes slack then it
speeds up to catch up and the tape is hanging so low at this point it
snags on the speed calibration knob. Ideally spare parts would be easy to
get and this would be a simple DIY job, I have my doubts though (although
my disassembly to look at the take up motor makes the labor look
part straight forward)

Could be a tape tension sensor problem or a connector problem in the reel
motor driver circuitry. I don't know about the B16 but the E16 has all the
transport control circuitry on a large PCB with many connectors - it might
be worth trying to reseat all the connectors first.

Cheers

James.
Scott Dorsey

unclefreddy wrote:
if I press [play] the take up reel side doesn't spin, if I help it along a
bit it does ok for a few seconds then if it spins too fast, it bounces and
starts spinning the wrong way for a second the tape goes slack then it
speeds up to catch up and the tape is hanging so low at this point it
snags on the speed calibration knob. Ideally spare parts would be easy to
get and this would be a simple DIY job, I have my doubts though (although
my disassembly to look at the take up motor makes the labor look
part straight forward)

I gather from the description that this is a servo transport? You're going
to need the service manuals....
unclefreddy

wrote:

if I press [play] the take up reel side doesn't spin, if I help it along
bit it does ok for a few seconds then if it spins too fast, it bounces
and
starts spinning the wrong way for a second the tape goes slack then it
speeds up to catch up and the tape is hanging so low at this point it
snags on the speed calibration knob. Ideally spare parts would be easy to
get and this would be a simple DIY job, I have my doubts though (although
my disassembly to look at the take up motor makes the labor look
part straight forward)

Could be a tape tension sensor problem or a connector problem in the reel
motor driver circuitry. I don't know about the B16 but the E16 has all the
transport control circuitry on a large PCB with many connectors - it might
be worth trying to reseat all the connectors first.

I suspect the tension sensor is the problem, if I fast forward a few
minutes into the reel, the problem disappears. It only happens if I have
less than 2-3 minutes of tape on the take up side.

Thanks for the reply.

Richard Crowley

news

wrote:

[...]

Insufficient torque on the take-up spindle?
Frequently adjustable with a big resistor with a sliding tap.

James Perrett

wrote:

[...]

On the E16 the sensors are optical and are just paralleled up so you can
remove one from the circuit and the system will still work (albeit with
the wrong tension). The E16 control systems are all electronic so the
tension adjustment will be a pot on the motor control board. If you need
to start fiddling with these adjustments then I would suggest getting hold
of the service manual because, as I remember it, there are a number of
adjustments that are all inter-related.

Cheers

James.

Fostex D-series ADAT sync problem w. Sonorus StudI/O Badmuts Pro Audio 9 January 6th 05 05:31 AM
CLC: More John Stewart Vacuum Tubes 12 November 2nd 04 09:47 AM
Problem With Alpine Head Unit/Type E Subs (Part 2) Brian Lamendola Car Audio 3 May 25th 04 04:58 AM
Problem connecting Fostex D2424LV to Behringer DDX3216 mike haskins Pro Audio 2 September 14th 03 01:37 AM