clol

Default yamaha AW16G

have anybody expieriences with the yamaha AW16G harddiscrecorder i am
thinking about buying one and would like to know a bit more about it
from peoble who have tried it.

thanks
Claus

My Last Sigh

My drummer friend had one, said it was too complicated and buggy, and
returned it after gnashing his teeth for 4 months, and countless hours of
recording....

Bought a fostex instead.
"clol" wrote in message
oups.com...
have anybody expieriences with the yamaha AW16G harddiscrecorder i am
thinking about buying one and would like to know a bit more about it
from peoble who have tried it.

thanks
Claus

Steve Scott

Yes, I owned an AW16G for a couple of years. Very nice machine, very
reliable and surprisingly clean sound. It's only 16 bit, but makes the
most of it.

It is a "custom" interface, as are all these little multitrackers. But
quite intuitive in my experience. Connect the inputs to the tracks
using graphical interface. Menus are not nested too badly. Has good
effects and equalizers, these plus dynamics are available on every
channel, with dedicated control knobs. Fast to get around on, good
locator system, handy 20-something UNDO/REDO viewable list. Easy to
save and recall scenes for templates, can also function as automation.

Only 2 XLRs with P48. Preamps are nothing fancy, but usable. Editing
is single track view, but can be done with your ears, if they are
working. Import/Export native .wav. Optical stereo I/O plus Aux bus.
Headphone and monitor outputs are on the same control, a drawback, but
unfortunately common in this class of machine.

I assume you know it's being phased out in favor of the new 24-bit
version, which also includes USB2. But the 16G has been going down in
price to make up for it. I compared several varieties of the species
when I was shopping, it is much less of a "toy" feel than some of the
others.

Steve