Bob Simon

Default 2 Ch Mixer Recommendation Wanted

I've been asked to purchase an inexpensive two channel line mixer for
a Jazzercise class. She prefers something with a VERY simple control
layout. Two sliders with tone for each channel and nothing else would
be perfect. And a chassis large enough so it won't get pushed off the
table each time she touches it would be nice too.

Checking eBay, I found a lot of inexpensive two channel mixers for DJs
but they all have crossfaders. Can anyone suggest something similar
but without this feature? Or can the crossfader simply be removed
without effecting signal quality?

--
Bob Simon
remove both "x"s from domain for private replies

Bob Simon wrote:
I've been asked to purchase an inexpensive two channel line mixer for
a Jazzercise class. She prefers something with a VERY simple control
layout. Two sliders with tone for each channel and nothing else would
be perfect. And a chassis large enough so it won't get pushed off the
table each time she touches it would be nice too.

Checking eBay, I found a lot of inexpensive two channel mixers for DJs
but they all have crossfaders. Can anyone suggest something similar
but without this feature? Or can the crossfader simply be removed
without effecting signal quality?

--
Bob Simon
remove both "x"s from domain for private replies

Behringer has some very low-cost and very spartan mixers that might do
the trick. Check the website or catalog.

In one case, I needed a cheap headphone amp for the output of an NLE,
an these were the best bet!

In another case, I needed to "mono" the stereo output of a piece of
video gear, and these again saved the day.

Julian

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 08:11:38 -0500, Bob Simon
wrote:

Checking eBay, I found a lot of inexpensive two channel mixers for DJs
but they all have crossfaders. Can anyone suggest something similar
but without this feature?

Behringer has something.
Arny Krueger

"Bob Simon" wrote in message

I've been asked to purchase an inexpensive two channel
line mixer for a Jazzercise class. She prefers something
with a VERY simple control layout. Two sliders with tone
for each channel and nothing else would be perfect. And
a chassis large enough so it won't get pushed off the
table each time she touches it would be nice too.

Checking eBay, I found a lot of inexpensive two channel
mixers for DJs but they all have crossfaders. Can anyone
suggest something similar but without this feature? Or
can the crossfader simply be removed without effecting
signal quality?

No need to bother with modding mixers for this application.

Like everybody else says if the application is cheap and
simple, think Behringer.

When you say two channels, do you mean 2 mics, 2 CD players
or 1 mic and 1 CD player or what?

If don't want to think very hard and have $100 to spend -
get a Behringer MXB 1002. It is probably much more than what
you need, but its only $100!

Tom Baldwin

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/631239/

$35 to your door. Or her door.

TB

Bob Simon

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:15:13 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"Bob Simon" wrote in message

I've been asked to purchase an inexpensive two channel
line mixer for a Jazzercise class. She prefers something
with a VERY simple control layout. Two sliders with tone
for each channel and nothing else would be perfect. And
a chassis large enough so it won't get pushed off the
table each time she touches it would be nice too.

Checking eBay, I found a lot of inexpensive two channel
mixers for DJs but they all have crossfaders. Can anyone
suggest something similar but without this feature? Or
can the crossfader simply be removed without effecting
signal quality?

No need to bother with modding mixers for this application.

Like everybody else says if the application is cheap and
simple, think Behringer.

When you say two channels, do you mean 2 mics, 2 CD players
or 1 mic and 1 CD player or what?

One wireless mic plus one CD player.

A side question: Is there anything wrong with plugging both L+R CD out
cables into a Y to feed into a mixer's mono input?

If don't want to think very hard and have $100 to spend -
get a Behringer MXB 1002. It is probably much more than what
you need, but its only $100!

Thank you. I looked at this mixer on the Behringer site. I'm pretty
sure my friend would say it's way too complicated. I think she might
prefer something like the Peavey Battle Axe, which has a much less
intimidating panel.

Is this mixer appropriate for this application?

--
Bob Simon
remove both "x"s from domain for private replies
Bob Simon

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:49:42 -0400, Tom Baldwin wrote:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/631239/

$35 to your door. Or her door.

TB

This is more like what I think she is looking for. Thanks.

In your opinion, is this substantially better than inexpensive DJ
scratch mixers from Peavey or Numark? I still think they may have a
somewhat simpler control layout, but of course that's subjective and
people get familiar with whatever they use.

--
Bob Simon
remove both "x"s from domain for private replies
Tom Baldwin

I don't know. I see these things plugged in all over the music stores
like Sam Ash or Guitar Center to connect all the display gear. If shes
going to be hauling this thing around, shes less likely to break the
knobs off than a fader in my opinion.

Plug her Mic in and get the gain set. Then set her EQ if needed and turn
up the Level.

Plug her CD into line in 1 and 2 using adapters from RadioShack that
convert RCA to 1/4" OR simply plug the CD player into the TAPE IN ( if
you go that route, press the button that says Tape To Mix. Otherwise
just turn up the Level control on the 2/3.

Finally turn up the Main Mix Level.

The outputs will go to her boombox AUX in or whatever she is using for
amplification. ( Again possibly via a pair of RadioShack 1/4" to RCA
adapters.

You're not going to get much simpler than this and still have a MIC IN.

Once she gets her Mic set up the first time, the gain, eq, pan, can all
be marked and probably never be changed again. So all she will have to
do is turn up the level on 1 and the Level on 2/3 and finally the Main
Level Out. As a matter of fact, once it's st up the first time, she
probably won't use anything but the Main Mix Level.

For the intended use and price point she is shopping in, I don't think
you are going get a lot of quality differences.

TB

Bob Simon wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:49:42 -0400, Tom Baldwin wrote:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/631239/

$35 to your door. Or her door.

TB

This is more like what I think she is looking for. Thanks.

In your opinion, is this substantially better than inexpensive DJ
scratch mixers from Peavey or Numark? I still think they may have a
somewhat simpler control layout, but of course that's subjective and
people get familiar with whatever they use.

--
Bob Simon
remove both "x"s from domain for private replies

Bob Simon

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:58:58 -0400, Tom Baldwin wrote:

I don't know. I see these things plugged in all over the music stores
like Sam Ash or Guitar Center to connect all the display gear. If shes
going to be hauling this thing around, shes less likely to break the
knobs off than a fader in my opinion.

No, the equipment is kept at her Jazzercise location.

Plug her Mic in and get the gain set. Then set her EQ if needed and turn
up the Level.

Plug her CD into line in 1 and 2 using adapters from RadioShack that
convert RCA to 1/4" OR simply plug the CD player into the TAPE IN ( if
you go that route, press the button that says Tape To Mix. Otherwise
just turn up the Level control on the 2/3.

Finally turn up the Main Mix Level.

The outputs will go to her boombox AUX in or whatever she is using for
amplification. ( Again possibly via a pair of RadioShack 1/4" to RCA
adapters.

Thanks for all the set up tips.

You're not going to get much simpler than this and still have a MIC IN.

But her wireless mic goes to a base station which provides line level
output. So she doesn't need a mic in at all (unless I've badly
misunderstood something).

Bob Simon wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:49:42 -0400, Tom Baldwin wrote:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/631239/

$35 to your door. Or her door.

TB

This is more like what I think she is looking for. Thanks.

In your opinion, is this substantially better than inexpensive DJ
scratch mixers from Peavey or Numark? I still think they may have a
somewhat simpler control layout, but of course that's subjective and
people get familiar with whatever they use.

--
Bob Simon
remove both "x"s from domain for private replies

--
Bob Simon
remove both "x"s from domain for private replies
Allen Corneau

Thank you. I looked at this mixer on the Behringer site. I'm pretty
sure my friend would say it's way too complicated.

Bob,

Maybe something like this:

http://www.shure.com/mixers/models/scm262.asp

Definitely not complicated.

If that's not exactly what you're looking for, they may have a different
model that fits the bill.

Allen
--
Allen Corneau
Mastering Engineer

SSJVCmag

Default Studio wall construction panels

Just saw this, don;t know how long it's been around...

QUIETROCK 530 ia a Single-sheet killer sheetrock/drywall soundproofing
material that's a sandwich.
Middle is a sheet of 1/16" steel braced with an elastic cushion layer and
1/4" drywall on either side.

The 530 claims better than 8 (that's EIGHT) sheets of 5/8 drywall

http://www.quietsolution.com/Product...QuietRock/quie
trock.html

And
The 545 is thx isolation rated.

http://www.quietsolution.com/Product...QuietRock_THX/
quietrock_thx.html

Tom Baldwin

"But her wireless mic goes to a base station which provides line level
output. So she doesn't need a mic in at all (unless I've badly
misunderstood something)."

OH, OK, sorry, I missed that part. In that case, she can just get a real
simple line mixer. If you go back to that same site and type in mini
mixer or line mixer you will get some hits. I think even RadioShack
sells a couple. But for the price it's going to be hard to beat $35
delivered and it would give her some expansion room.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/180625/

This is as dead simple as you can get but it's twice the price.

I've seen some others maybe made by Sampson or someone.

The bottom line is you said you wanted tone controls, and simple, and
something not easily knocked off the desk.

You're not going to get simple and tone. Most people want either simple
or they want some some features. That B mixer has tone controls for the
Channel 1 mic/line input. Why you would want or need tone controls for
the CD player I don't know. She can still plug her mic into that Input 1
line input.

If you don't want to buy Behringer which some people don't, then someone
else may make a similar box but I can't recall a brand name right now.

That's really the only box I've seen that fits all your criteria.

Nady has one on that same site but no tone controls. It does however
have balanced line outs if she is feeeding powered speakers.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/630407/

I don't work for Musicians Friend btw, just easy to search and link to.

Here's one that has tone ( EQ ) but as you can see, it's probably overkill.

http://www.swee****er.com/store/detail/MDR624/

TB
hank alrich

Bob Simon wrote:

I've been asked to purchase an inexpensive two channel line mixer for
a Jazzercise class. She prefers something with a VERY simple control
layout. Two sliders with tone for each channel and nothing else would
be perfect. And a chassis large enough so it won't get pushed off the
table each time she touches it would be nice too.

Checking eBay, I found a lot of inexpensive two channel mixers for DJs
but they all have crossfaders. Can anyone suggest something similar
but without this feature? Or can the crossfader simply be removed
without effecting signal quality?

Behringer UB502. One mono mic/line input and two stereo input channels.
Bass and treble EQ. Pots instead of faders. Generally about fifty bucks.

--
ha
Arny Krueger

wrote:

"Bob Simon" wrote in message

[...]

Then the Behringer UB502 would do the job. Way simpler. But,
the Peavy Battle Axe you mention below makes the UB502 look
surprisingly complex.

A side question: Is there anything wrong with plugging
both L+R CD out cables into a Y to feed into a mixer's
mono input?

As a rule, no problem.

If don't want to think very hard and have $100 to spend -
get a Behringer MXB 1002. It is probably much more than
what you need, but its only $100!

The Battle Axe runs about $69.95 and the UB502 is $39.95.

Thank you. I looked at this mixer on the Behringer site.
I'm pretty sure my friend would say it's way too
complicated. I think she might prefer something like the
Peavey Battle Axe, which has a much less intimidating
panel.

Is this mixer appropriate for this application?

From the pictures - yes.

Joe Kesselman

Hm. My understanding was that most of the sound isolation in studio
walls came from what (and wasn't) *between* the inner and outer panels...

John L Rice

"Bob Simon" wrote in message
I've been asked to purchase an inexpensive two channel line mixer for
a Jazzercise class. She prefers something with a VERY simple control
layout. Two sliders with tone for each channel and nothing else would
be perfect. And a chassis large enough so it won't get pushed off the
table each time she touches it would be nice too.

Checking eBay, I found a lot of inexpensive two channel mixers for DJs
but they all have crossfaders. Can anyone suggest something similar
but without this feature? Or can the crossfader simply be removed
without effecting signal quality?

--
Bob Simon
remove both "x"s from domain for private replies

Alternative suggestions by Rolls that don't have much in the way of EQ but
are close to what should work well for your application :

more channels than she needs at the moment ( although expansion capability
is a good thing ) around $110 street :
http://www.rolls.com/new/rm75.html

And they have a smaller version she might like better ( although it's not
much cheaper at $99 street ) :
http://www.rolls.com/new/mx152.html

Rolls even has smaller mixers that might interest you like :
http://www.rolls.com/new/mx34.html

And ART has several tiny mixers that might work. The smallest, simplest and
pretty much cheapest way to go is probably the ART PowerMix II :
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...ase_pid/180624

Best of luck!

--
John L Rice
www.DeliriumFix.com

Julian

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:29:46 -0400, Joe Kesselman
wrote:

Hm. My understanding was that most of the sound isolation in studio
walls came from what (and wasn't) *between* the inner and outer panels...

What are you saying instead? Air tight is important for sure.
Anything else...

Julian

Kurt Albershardt

wrote:

My understanding was that most of the sound isolation in studio
walls came from what (and wasn't) *between* the inner and outer
panels...

What are you saying instead? Air tight is important for sure.
Anything else...

The coupling between the edges of the panels and whatever they connect
to. The coupling of that to whatever it connects to. The amount of
mass that is in each of these components. Etc...
Julian

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 23:04:58 -0700, Kurt Albershardt
wrote:

The coupling between the edges of the panels and whatever they connect
to. The coupling of that to whatever it connects to.

Isn't that what the elastic cushion layer is for?

The amount of
mass that is in each of these components.

Isn't that what the steel is for?

Julian

FA: Mackie CR-1604 16-channel Mic/Line Mixer MARK S MICHEL Pro Audio 0 September 28th 04 08:25 PM
FA: Mackie CR-1604 16-channel Mic/Line Mixer MARK S MICHEL Pro Audio 0 September 28th 04 08:25 PM
WANTED: Used Yamaha MG32 Mixer LosHalos Pro Audio 0 September 1st 04 06:35 AM
Buying Second Hand Mixer HKC Pro Audio 9 August 13th 04 03:25 PM
A&H compact mixer series - who uses/has used them? Bernhard Ess Pro Audio 1 March 15th 04 04:04 PM