svenliefveld

Default how can I send my 16 track sequence of korg 1w/fd to cubase sx 2 properly

Hello,

I made a song in the sequence mode of my synth (korg 1w/fd. How can I
send the Sequence via midi to cubase SX2. I have the adiophile usb as a
connection device between my computer and my synth. My audiophile
output to the computer is via usb. I've connect the midi in of my synth
to to the midi out of my audiophile en the midi out of my synth to my
midi in of my audiophile.

What do I have to configure on my synth and in cubase and where can i
find it?

I hope somone can help me.

greetings
Sven

Evangelos Himonides

Hi Sven,

If I remember correctly, the fd model came with a floppy disk...no? I
am not sure... If that's the case, then first of all try to see whether
the sequences are readable as MIDI files straight onto the PC.
If not, then have the Korg playback your work and record the MIDI info
with Cubase.
If Cubase is not receiving information while the Korg is playing, this
means that you have to go into the Korg's setup (see manual) and make
sure that the MIDI output has been enabled. Check out page 114 in the
manual.
Just in case, the manual can be found at:
http://tinyurl.com/7uuzc

Now, the rest depends on what the sound generator is going to be after
you've captured the midi data onto your PC.
Are you planning to still have the Korg generating the sounds? Then you
need to spend a little bit of time setting up the programs/banks and
patches (given that you are not only using GM sounds on the Korg and
that you also use other banks and combis). This will definitely not
work automatically.
If you just wanted to salvage your sequences and use new sounds (soft
synths, etc.) on your PC, then you are sorted.
Just in case all channels get recorded in one track in Cubase, then
you'll also have to 'explode track by channel' for further editing.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,

Evangelos

%
Evangelos Himonides
IoE, University of London
tel: +44 2076126599
fax: +44 2076126741

"Allas to those who never sing but die with all their music in them..."

Oliver Wendell Holmes
%

svenliefveld

Thanks for the info. The w/fd has a floppy drive. I still want to have
the korg generating the sounds. You say that I takes time to configure
all the combi's, programs etc in cubase. When I go to my device manager
I can install a korg 1w. It has the same sounds as I have on my korg.
When I want to make a midi project in cubase I can select a combi per
midi track in cubase. This is the same combi as selected on my korg in
the seqeuence. But when I select the combi in Cubase the sound changes
as wel on my korg as in Cubase. Do you have an explenation for this and
probably a solution?

I hope you can help me.

greetings
Sven

Evangelos Himonides

No problem!
Your Korg as well as any other keyboard has a MIDI and program
implementation chart at the back of the manual.
The configuration file that you found in Cubase is nothing more than a
text file that some good fella
created at some point that includes program numbers, bank and patch
change information as well
as the 'proper' names for the patches (so that what you see in the
patchname field in Cubase, corresponds
to what the actual patch name on the keyboard screen).
Have in mind that this is NOT dynamic (if you rename a patch on your
Korg, it will NOT change on the PC).
Now, you have to check the manual about this, but I have a suspicion
that when the Korg is 'slave' to a sequencer,
it has a limited number of 'combis' or banks outside the general midi
that it can play simultaneously OR it has a problem playing different
banks at the same time.
I never worked with a 01 but I think that this was the case with an X5D
that someone asked me to set up about 9 years ago.
I also remember, that the whole communication was prone to 'breakdowns'
and needed a midi-reset SysEx on numerous occasions. Try to mute all of
your tracks, and try unmuting one a track at a time and make sure that
your Korg plays the right instrument each time. If the problem appears
when 2 different tracks are calling patches from different banks on the
Korg, then that's the problem.
I remember that there was a fantastic user forum at the time that
dealt only with Korgs and MIDI and I think that they were calling
themselves 'korgy park". Have a look, you might find it useful.

Good luck,

Evangelos

svenliefveld

Thanks again. I have another question is it possible to make the korg
master of the sequencer instead of the slave? If so how can I do that?

Hope you have an answer to it.

greetings
Sven

Evangelos Himonides

If you mean using it as a master keyboard and having the PC playing the
sounds, then it is fairly simple.
Make sure that you turn "Local" to OFF in the Korg's menu and the
output to MIDI (in case the 01 has a 'to host' port as well). Regarding
MIDI channel, you can either define a specific one, or use it in OMNI
mode.
I hope I got the question right...

Regards,

Evangelos

Roger W. Norman

I'm not sure what you expect. I have a Korg X3 and if I want to record a
midi based sequence I've done, I simply record the audio from the outputs
rather than trying to dump the midi to the computer to drive the device.

Am I missing something here? I've done this a number of times, although I
admit I'm a piano player so my midi sequences are pretty much correct or I
play the part again. I wouldn't want to bring a midi file into a recording
application and then try to edit it. Much easier to change the sequence and
record it as an audio file.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio