nYcTracks

Default DDX3216 Problem

Hi All,

Two weeks ago I drove to Deltronics repair shop in Chicago to have my
DDX3216 repaired.

Prior to the drive, I called Deltronics and was told the repair fee for the
DDX3216 was usually $59.00 to $150.00. Three days later I was officially
quoted a charge of $250.00 and told that my mixer had a bad Micro. (Do they
mean a faulty CPU?)

I asked why the charge was so far above the unofficial quote. The response
was "the Micro is hard to get too and that takes lots of time". I looked at
the pictures on the Behringer Web sight of the DDX3216 inside and everything
appears easily accessible; am I missing something here?

I really don't mind spending the money if what I've been told is the
absolute truth.

I thought my problem was the power supply, the crystal or the fan.

I just don't want to get caught up in a situation of taking my mixer to the
shop frequently.

Has anyone dealt with similar situations as I have explained; please reply?

Below is my original post to this newsgroup explaining my problem.

"Hi All,

I have a few questions about the Behringer DDX3216.

I purchased my mixer in early 2003. I used it for about 3 months and then
put it away during home remodeling; it was running ok then.

Last week I set it up to do some recording; booted up the 3216 and it
locked. I lost output on the left channel and the display was scrambled.

Rebooting gives the same error pattern with +1 8 displayed on the LEDs.

I see on the screen black horizontal lines, every other button is lit- up,
every fader has all of it's LED'S lit-up, and half of the meters are maxed.

Nothing is hooked up to the DDX3216; I tried the reset procedure on Page 50
of the manual and that does not fix the problem, does anyone have any ideas?

I called Behringer and was told to contact Deltronics Audio in Chicago. (I
live about 127 miles from Chicago)

Does anyone know anything about the quality of Deltronics work; I contacted
them, told them of the symptoms of my mixer and they said it's probably my
power supply?"

Thanks all for your help,

nYcTracks

There is a solution!"

http://www.giantcompany.com

T Maki

nYcTracks wrote:
Two weeks ago I drove to Deltronics repair shop in Chicago

A major metropolitan area with commensurately high
labor rates for anything, including fixing you a
sandwich.

Prior to the drive, I called Deltronics and was told the repair fee for the
DDX3216 was usually $59.00 to $150.00.

Key word: "usually".

Three days later I was officially
quoted a charge of $250.00 and told that my mixer had a bad Micro. (Do they
mean a faulty CPU?)

Did you ask them if that's what they meant?

I asked why the charge was so far above the unofficial quote. The response
was "the Micro is hard to get too and that takes lots of time".

What is the basis for your doubt? The way it looks
from a couple of Website photos?

I looked at the pictures on the Behringer Web sight of the DDX3216 inside and everything
appears easily accessible; am I missing something here?

Maybe the actual service manual and procedures...?

I really don't mind spending the money if what I've been told is the
absolute truth.

When you find "absolute truth" you won't be
needing your 3216 anymore.

I thought my problem was the power supply, the crystal or the fan.

If that's what you told them when you called them,
they probably quoted you what might be the charge
to fix the problem as YOU diagnosed it.

Has anyone dealt with similar situations as I have explained; please reply?

Sure. Service shops of all kinds deal with it all
the time. Doctors deal with it all the time.
Patient: "Hey Doc, I've got a headache. What can I
do and how much will it cost?"

Doctor: "Take a couple of aspirin. Costs maybe 12
cents."

Patient: "Gee thanks, Doc!"

A few days later:

Patient (standing at the oncologist's payment
counter window: "Why are you charging me $150,000
for a headache?"

Cashier: "Because you've got a brain tumor. Do you
have insurance or will this be self-pay?"

Does anyone know anything about the quality of Deltronics work; I contacted
them, told them of the symptoms of my mixer and they said it's probably my
power supply?"

It's not the quality of their work that is at
question. It's the quality of your diagnosis and
the quality of "absolute truth" as they found it
actually to be.

Since you have some idea how easy it is from
looking at the pretty pictures on B's Website, you
could always order the parts you need from them,
and fix it yourself.

Don't expect Deltronics to give you a break when
you have to take it to them in a cardboard box and
half-a-dozen Ziplock bags.

TM
Jonny Durango

T Maki wrote:
nYcTracks wrote:

snip

Thanks for the polite response....

--

Jonny Durango

www.jdurango.com

"If the key of C is the people's key, what is the key of the bourgeoisie?"
Jim Savery

"nYcTracks" wrote in message
[...]

Hi nYcTracks:

I called Mike Delvalle - owner of Deltronics - to check this out for you.
Mike and his team run two Illinois repair shops and have done a great job
for us over the last two years. He was quick to get back to me and provide
details of your mixer and their work to date.

Mike told me that they initially tested the unit and found a failure in the
power supply. They repaired the power supply (at component level) and set
the board up for final test before wrapping the job up. At that point they
found the mixer fired up properly, but some functions were not working the
way they should. After troubleshooting the new symptoms, they found damage
to the microprocessor. This was likely a result of "ripple" from when the
power supply failed. At any rate, this is when they called you with the
updated estimate of what a "back to factory specs" repair would cost.

As someone else here already noted, this is a large, surface-mount IC and
has to be repaired at component level by a skilled tech with specialized
equipment. Between assembly/disassembly, diagnostics (1) and diagnostics
(2)
, the actual repair work and parts used, I would say they quoted you
a fair price. In addition, I was glad to see that they actually called you
with an updated quote before the work was done. That's how it should be. I
hate it when I show up to get my repaired gear, and I am suddenly presented
with a higher-than-expected bill without the option to approve or disapprove
the expense.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments. I'll be glad to
take them to Mike and his team, although they are already following your
thread here and in the Yahoo DX3216 forum.

Best Regards,

Jim Savery
Global Customer Service & Support Manager
BEHRINGER Group
Tel: +01-425-672-0816 x 111
Direct Dial: +01-425-939-3216
Fax: +01-425-673-7647
IP Phone Ext: 5024

http://www.behringer.com

Mike Rivers

Jim Savery wrote:

Mike told me that they initially tested the unit and found a failure in the
power supply. They repaired the power supply (at component level) and set
the board up for final test before wrapping the job up. At that point they
found the mixer fired up properly, but some functions were not working the
way they should.

Good of you to follow up on this for the customer, Jim. I agree that
the quote isn't out of line for the work (and risk) involved in
replacing the CPU. I'm just a bit suspicious that the unit would fire
up properly but that certain functions not working correctly would be
caused by a failure of the CPU chip. It's not totally out of the
question, but unless there's something like a stuck bit on an input or
output line that would only affect certain data, generally CPU failure
means total failure.

If the shop's diagnosis wasn't complete, they replaced the CPU, and the
problem still wasn't fixed, they aren't going to take it out and put
the old one back, and they aren't likely to not charge for at least the
part if not the labor. So there's still some risk to the customer that
this isn't their "Final answer," and I guess that's what concerns him.

Behringer DDX3216 problem nYcTracks Pro Audio 0 September 27th 05 11:23 PM
CLC: More John Stewart Vacuum Tubes 12 November 2nd 04 09:47 AM
Problem connecting Fostex D2424LV to Behringer DDX3216 mike haskins Pro Audio 2 September 14th 03 01:37 AM