Default MT2496 experiences.

Chel van Gennip wrote:

I use two microphones AKG C480B with CK62ULS capsules
[...] On internal power it runs about 3 hours.

3 hours whilst powering 2 mics then? Anyone any experience yet how long
it holds out using just balanced line in?

I've added ferrites in the USB power cable,
after detecting spikes when
using external power.

Forgive my ignorance, it can be run off external power? Through the
charger that comes with the unit? (There is no info about this or the
charger itself in the manual I downloaded to look at).

Is the charger 230V, 220-240 or switchable 110 / 220 etc (I guess
you're in Europe - I may be wrong), changeable mains plugs or fixed for
the country its bought in (I'd wish to use it in UK and Europe at
least, tho' preferably worldwide).

And how does "spikes when using external power" effect the unit's
recording?

Anyway, thanks very much for the write up!

Jez

Patrick

Hi,

You use it in the Mic/Line in ?
And the 30V phantom power is sufficient ?
I've bought the MT and with a Rode NTG1, I've a lot of noise
in Mic/Line and phantom power.... !!!
(I think phantom power 30V it's not sufficient ..... :-(

I will receive two Xlr -- jack mono adaptator to use with a stéréo mic.
But I don't know if there is enough place to plug the two adaptators.......
:-(

Is you mic AKG is powered itself, or by another thing before the MT ?

Thanks for uour responses...
And sorry for English....

Patrick

"Chel van Gennip" a écrit dans le message de news:
On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:15:54 +0200, teaismud wrote:

Chel van Gennip wrote:

I use two microphones AKG C480B with CK62ULS capsules [...] On internal
power it runs about 3 hours.

3 hours whilst powering 2 mics then? Anyone any experience yet how long
it holds out using just balanced line in?

Last weekend I had more than 3 hours recorded before I noticed the outlet
I was using was without power.

I've added ferrites in the USB power cable, after detecting spikes when
using external power.

Forgive my ignorance, it can be run off external power? Through the
charger that comes with the unit? (There is no info about this or the
charger itself in the manual I downloaded to look at).

Yes

Is the charger 230V, 220-240 or switchable 110 / 220 etc (I guess you're
in Europe - I may be wrong), changeable mains plugs or fixed for the
country its bought in (I'd wish to use it in UK and Europe at least,
tho' preferably worldwide).

I have a US unit, so it does not fit in our outlets. I made a whort wire
with a plug. It the US unit does 110-250V. I expect the same from
european units.

And how does "spikes when using external power" effect the unit's
recording?

I was in a room with fluorescent lamps. One broke down and tried to
restart every 5 seconds and made both audible noise and hard spikes on
the power system. The audible noise came in through the mikes, the spikes
through the PS. I added firrites in my cable before the PS and in the USB
cable to the MT2496. After that the problem was solved.

--
Chel van Gennip
Visit Serg van Gennip's site

Richard Crowley

"Chel van Gennip" wrote ...
Last weekend I had more than 3 hours recorded before I noticed the outlet
I was using was without power.

I was in a room with fluorescent lamps. One broke down and tried to
restart every 5 seconds and made both audible noise and hard spikes on
the power system. The audible noise came in through the mikes, the spikes
through the PS. I added firrites in my cable before the PS and in the USB
cable to the MT2496. After that the problem was solved.

Or you could try your trick of plugging it into a dead outlet! :-)

I just got mine. I'm considering a little external battery "back-pack"
gadget to take 4 AA cells and feed 5V into the USB connector.

Martin Harrington

The NTG 1 will work perfectly at 30v
--
Martin Harrington
www.lendanear-sound.com

"Chel van Gennip" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:44:37 +0200, Patrick wrote:

You use it in the Mic/Line in ?

Yes, Mic/Line position M (so i did not even have a problem with the wrong
witch order in the first software)

And the 30V phantom power is sufficient ?

Yes

I've bought the MT and with a Rode NTG1, I've a lot of noise in
Mic/Line and phantom power.... !!! (I think phantom power 30V it's not
sufficient ..... :-(

Could be, I never tested with my NT1's. I just wanted a set of microphones
+
Recorder for on the road. My AKG's were my first choice and they function
well. (I was not looking for problems, just for a solution)

I will receive two Xlr -- jack mono adaptator to use with a stéréo mic.
But I don't know if there is enough place to plug the two
adaptators.......
:-(

The distance between the inputs is just enough for the two connectors. I
just made my own short cables for my microphones.

Is you mic AKG is powered itself, or by another thing before the MT ?

The AKG is powerd by the MT (30V is enough for the AKG C480B I think)

--
Chel van Gennip
Visit Serg van Gennip's site http://www.serg.vangennip.com

Clark

Chel,

I'm a complete newbie to recording. I just purchased a Microtrack. I
am a piano technician and want to record many different kinds of
pianos, particularly those I rebuild, comparing how they sound before
and after the rebuilding. I really enjoying hearing the piano
recording you made with the Microtrack. A couple questions:

1. How do you set the MT at peak level -7dB? I've had difficulty
setting the gain low enough. With the included stereo mic, the signal
always seems to distort occastionally.

2. What cords, specifically, do you use to connect the AKGs to the MT?
Being a newbie, I need the technical names so I can purchase them.
Where can I buy the cables you made?

3. The AKG C480B with CK62ULS capsules is an omni mic, which I
understand means that the mic picks up sounds in the room at 360
degrees. I'm wondering if using the CK61ULS cardioid capsules might
be better for my purposes, since for the most part I'll be in piano
shops and living rooms where the ambient acoustics are not so
desirable. What do you think?

4. What is a "standard" that you hang the MT from? What is the "strip"
that you hang the mics from? They describe some sort of attachment
devices, I presume. Where can I buy both?

5. Is there anything else I should consider purchasing? At the moment,
all I have is the Microtrack.

I know these are very elementary questions. Thanks for your
consideration.

--Clark

Steve Maki

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 00:15:59 +0200, Chel van Gennip wrote:

You know how it goes, you ask for power, they point to an outlet, and as
everything is working nicely on battery power, you forget to check if
there is power on the outlet, although both the camcorder and the MT do
indicate if they are working on battery.

I just got mine. I'm considering a little external battery "back-pack"
gadget to take 4 AA cells and feed 5V into the USB connector.

I am thinking about that to. A batery pack is smaller than a cable and is
independent.

You can go cheap

http://www.dealsonic.com/usbbapabapof.html

or high class

http://www.socketcom.com/product/AC4009-541.asp

Or make your own of course.

One thing I dislike about the MT2496 is the significant current
draw even when "off". Mine goes dead after a couple of days. An
external pack is a necessity unless you are able to always leave it
hooked to a wall wart or computer till just before your session.

--
Steve Maki
Kurt Albershardt

Clark wrote:

2. What cords, specifically, do you use to connect the AKGs to the MT?
Being a newbie, I need the technical names so I can purchase them.
Where can I buy the cables you made?

You want balanced XLR female to TRS male cords. Conquest, Rapco, and
many other companies will sell you these.

3. The AKG C480B with CK62ULS capsules is an omni mic, which I
understand means that the mic picks up sounds in the room at 360
degrees. I'm wondering if using the CK61ULS cardioid capsules might
be better for my purposes, since for the most part I'll be in piano
shops and living rooms where the ambient acoustics are not so
desirable.

CK63 hypercardioid would probably be my first choice in a situation like
this.

5. Is there anything else I should consider purchasing? At the moment,
all I have is the Microtrack.

Good mics, a good stand, and an education. Do you have a decent
recordist locally who would take you under his/her wing for awhile?

Patrick

Sorry but, the NTG1 don't work perfectly with 30 V !!! :-(
In the instruction manual of the mic is writing : p48 phantom : 44 V to 52 V
!!!!

I've record with it, (MT 24/95 and the NTG1) and i've a lot of noise....

I try with a another true preamp and phantom power and the sound is
clean.... !!

Patrick

"Martin Harrington" a écrit dans le message de news:
[...]

Mike Rivers

Patrick wrote:
Sorry but, the NTG1 don't work perfectly with 30 V !!! :-(
In the instruction manual of the mic is writing : p48 phantom : 44 V to 52 V
!!!!

I've record with it, (MT 24/95 and the NTG1) and i've a lot of noise....

That may or may not be the result of the lower voltage. Most mics will
produce some output at a lower than rated supply voltage, but degraded
in some aspect of their performance. The degradation isn't usually an
increase in noise unless the sensitivity is so far reduced that you
need more gain in order to get the same record level, and are hence
boosting noise in another part of the system.

Usually we don't bother to test microphones at other than their rated
supply voltage because until recent abominations came along, we could
count on having the proper power supply. Now, I guess, we need to do
this. It would be an interesting experiment to disconnect the internal
48V phantom power supply from a decent preamp, replace it with a
variable power supply, and measure the maximum SPL, distortion at some
reasonable SPL, and quiescent noise of an assortment of microphones.

Would anyone like to send me all of your microphones?

I try with a another true preamp and phantom power and the sound is
clean.... !!

That could be because the other preamp was quieter.

Mike Rivers

Steve Maki wrote:

One thing I dislike about the MT2496 is the significant current
draw even when "off". Mine goes dead after a couple of days.

Isn't this sort of nonsense the ****s? All kinds of modern, tiny, "low
power" digital stuff is like this. I use my digital camera once or
twice every couple of months and the batteries are always dead when I
try to turn it on. It uses rechargeable AA cells, and they seem to hold
their "shelf" voltage pretty well, so I always have to put the charged
ones in when I start a photo session. And then if I want the date to be
correct, I have to remember to set it (I think the camera reminds me -
I haven't used it in a couple of months g)

Steve Maki

On 26 Oct 2005 04:01:00 -0700, "Mike Rivers" wrote:

One thing I dislike about the MT2496 is the significant current
draw even when "off". Mine goes dead after a couple of days.

Isn't this sort of nonsense the ****s? All kinds of modern, tiny, "low
power" digital stuff is like this. I use my digital camera once or
twice every couple of months and the batteries are always dead when I
try to turn it on. It uses rechargeable AA cells, and they seem to hold
their "shelf" voltage pretty well, so I always have to put the charged
ones in when I start a photo session. And then if I want the date to be
correct, I have to remember to set it (I think the camera reminds me -
I haven't used it in a couple of months g)

After going through a few point and shoot cameras, I've now got a
Canon Digital Rebel SLR, which has a real on-off switch. That feature
alone makes the extra expense worth it, in my book. It does use a
proprietary Li-ion pack, but a charge seems to last forever.

As far as the MT2496 - the power system is idiotic. High current
draw even when turned off, and NON-REMOVABLE battery. So even if
you're prepared with a fresh external pack, you know that as soon
as you plug in the pack, part of your precious power resource will
be sunk into the internal battery. It really needs an on-off switch.

BTW, other than that, I like the unit. I use it with the Core Sound
Mic2496 preamp-A/D. This combo is excellent.

--
Steve Maki
Martin Harrington

I've tried my NTG-1 with an old Shure FP32, which only gives 18v max
phantom, and apart from the noise from the preamps thatis always there,
there was no increase in noise at all.
--
Martin Harrington
www.lendanear-sound.com

"Patrick" wrote in message
[...]

Kurt Albershardt

Chel van Gennip wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 07:15:00 +0200, Kurt Albershardt wrote:

Clark wrote:

CK63 hypercardioid would probably be my first choice in a situation
like this.

I think you should really think about the microphones. My first sugestion
is to try the small T microphone close to the piano. The recording
environments you describe are best eleminated by close miking. There are
reports the T microphone can handle high levels.

I don't know about the hypercardioid. A piano is a big instrument, so
close miking might be better than a hypercardioid.

Good point -- omnis up close might well sound better in this situation.
A piano in a small room is always difficult.

Clark

Kurt and Chel,

Thanks for your responses. I've been busy with pianos. Chel, I
listened to the recording of the Yam C7 that you were noting had a
harsh bass. My speakers aren't very good but I did hear some less
desirable glassiness in the bass. My experience is that this sound is
the result of wearing hammers. The crown of the hammer needs to be
reshaped and mated to the strings better, and given a general voicing.
There could also be some slight buzzing from damper wire interference
though this is less likely.

I have used the T microphone with the Microtrack. They work well but I
was wondering what would improve the Microtrack even more. I agree
that hyper cardioids would be too focussed for a big piano. PZMs are
used alot in church installations, but I have never been super inspired
by the results. Is there a particular manufacturer of PZMs that you
recommend? Also, do you have recommendations of mics other than the
480s that I might consider that would work with the Microtrack's
phantom power eccentricities?

At this point, I don't have a recording mentor to lean on, so I really
appreciate this opportunity to ask you folks here.

--Clark

M. Studer

Hi All,

I've just recieved my MT2496 and while I'm generally happy with it, I'm
having a problem with the input monitor. No matter what I do, I can't get
it monitor audio unless I'm acutually recording a track.

I'm aware that this feature isn't avialble with S/PDIF, but my
understanding from the manual was that it should work with the 1/8 and
1/4 TRS inputs. I've also updated the firmware to 1.1.5, but the problem's
still there.

I've contacted M-audio and they've told me that this is a known bug and
that they're hoping to resolve the issue with the next firmware update.

I'm only asking beause out of all the issues with the MT I've seen
addressed on the newsgroups, no one has run into this. Which makes me
wondering if the units fine and I'm just flying it into the ground.

Marc

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Chel van Gennip wrote:

[...]

Any chance of a little write up when you get your battery box up and
running, Richard, with parts and diagram ? I'm afraid I'm totally
clueless about USB as power feed myself but would certainly want to
patch some kind of battery box together myself - the powering issue is
the only one holding me up from buying the thing. (And forgive my
ignorance, but how do you know that 5 or 4.8 volts is OK / right for
the thing?)

Thanks Chel for charger comments.

Regards, Jez Adamson

Richard Crowley

"M. Studer" wrote ...
I've just recieved my MT2496 and while I'm generally
happy with it, I'm having a problem with the input monitor.
No matter what I do, I can't get it monitor audio unless
I'm acutually recording a track.

Or meter, either. Sometimes I wonder how they devise
their requirements lists?

jeremiah moore

I was following this thread on powering a USB device from NP-1 via
voltage regulator - perhaps something will come of it:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...ca86270cdd915b

Richard Crowley

teaismud wrote ...
Any chance of a little write up when you get your battery box up and
running, Richard, with parts and diagram ? I'm afraid I'm totally
clueless about USB as power feed myself but would certainly want to
patch some kind of battery box together myself - the powering issue is
the only one holding me up from buying the thing.

I was looking at using the Linear Technology LTC3440 buck-boost
micropower DC/DC converter chip, but then I noticed that it has a
max input voltage of 5.5 and I really wanted to make something that
takes 6V nominal (four dry cells of whatever size). Back to the
drawing board. I'm hoping that Linear or Maxim or somebody makes
something that will take 3-6V and output 5V.

Yeah, I was planning on publishing the design. And making PC
boards, etc. The trickiest part will be finding a decent enclosure
for 4 AA cells (or 4 C cells for the die-hards!) and I'd really
like to find a nice little right-angle USB connector to plug into
the bottom of the MT2496

(And forgive my ignorance, but how do you know that 5 or 4.8
volts is OK / right for the thing?)

The MT2496 charges/runs via the USB port which, by definition is
nominal 5V. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Power_supply

I got 3,570,000 hits when I Googled for: usb battery supply...

http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000520028239/
This is as simple as they come. a 9V battery with a simple
zener-diode shunt regulator. Simple enough, but of doubtful
battery-life/efficienty. And I worry about using the USB
connector shell as the 9V node in the circuit. The shell is
supposed to be floating, but if somebody goofed, you will
end up with fried electronics. :-(

http://www.bixnet.com/usbbatterybox.html
This looks like what we need. And only $10.
Dunno what kind of efficiency it has (i.e. how long a set
of AA cells will last). And still need something shorter and
less stiff than that USB cable the MT 2496 comes with.
The lack of detailed specs, and the wording of the blurb
make me think it has a simple (and grossly inefficient)
shunt zener regulator (like the home-made unit above.)

Richard Crowley

"jeremiah moore" wrote ...
I was following this thread on powering a USB device from NP-1 via
voltage regulator - perhaps something will come of it:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...ca86270cdd915b

When you've got an NP1's worth of power available, a simple,
cheap, (and inefficient) garden-variety 3-terminal regulator
(like a 7805 or LM340) would do the job nicely. But an NP1
is ~3x the size and 5x the weight of the whole MT2496 :-(

But if we're trying to do something in the same size category
as the MT2496, I think we need either something reasonably
efficient, or a gross environmental disregard for tossing out
handfulls of primary cells.

d rosen

is there not some lattitude to the usb voltage? i.e 3.6-5v in which
case 3x aa would suffice?
3x aa could piggy pack with the MT ok.

dan

Richard Crowley

"d rosen" wrote ...
is there not some lattitude to the usb voltage? i.e 3.6-5v
in which case 3x aa would suffice?
3x aa could piggy pack with the MT ok.

Low-power USB devices can apparently live on something
between 4.4V and 5.25V, but high-power seems to want
4.75 to 5.25. I can't believe that the MT2496 is a "low-
power" device, especially when charging the internal battery
AND powering the unit concurrently.
http://www.beyondlogic.org/usbnutshe...a-nutshell.pdf
(page 7)

Even if you had three 1.5V cells (most of the newer kinds
of cells available are lower than 1.5V), The battery life
would be limited to the point where they dropped below
the USB specificied voltage. That leaves the majority of
the battery capacity unused and unavailable. Not efficient
enough to be an attractive solution, at least IMHO.

The quickstart manual quite plainly said that to set a record level you
were to make a 'bad' first recording then immediately delete it! Just
one of many ridiculous procedures. If I hadn't been waiting impatiently
for the last two years for ANY mini wav recorder that could do the most
basic of tasks I'd definitely leave this one on the shelf too. But I
reckon I'm going to pick one up anyway.

Many thanks Richard for the links and info!

Jez

No matter what I do, I can't get it monitor audio unless
I'm acutually recording a track.

Or meter, either. Sometimes I wonder how they devise
their requirements lists?

Kurt Albershardt

Richard Crowley wrote:
"jeremiah moore" wrote ...

I was following this thread on powering a USB device from NP-1 via
voltage regulator - perhaps something will come of it:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...ca86270cdd915b

When you've got an NP1's worth of power available, a simple,
cheap, (and inefficient) garden-variety 3-terminal regulator
(like a 7805 or LM340) would do the job nicely. But an NP1
is ~3x the size and 5x the weight of the whole MT2496 :-(

But if we're trying to do something in the same size category
as the MT2496, I think we need either something reasonably
efficient

Simple & fast: how about a 7.2V lithium camcorder battery coupled with a
low dropout regulator? If an NP-1 is really available, why not couple
it with something like a PT78ST105 (1A) or PT78HT205 (2A) switcher?

Patrick

I've receive and try mine too....
No, there is no monitor unless recording... :-(
I don't have (or not see ?? You can ?) the stop button to stop a play file,
there is a "pause" button but can't stop the play !!
Forced to wait the end of file.

I've plug two xlr--Jack 6.35 connectors to the inputs to plug my stereo mic
cable.
but before this, i've must grind down the two connectors,
to could connect it... not spacing beetwen the 2 inputs
The connectors, and xlr connector cable are more big than the MT !!!

Pat

a écrit dans le message de news:
The quickstart manual quite plainly said that to set a record level you
were to make a 'bad' first recording then immediately delete it! Just
one of many ridiculous procedures. If I hadn't been waiting impatiently
for the last two years for ANY mini wav recorder that could do the most
basic of tasks I'd definitely leave this one on the shelf too. But I
reckon I'm going to pick one up anyway.

Many thanks Richard for the links and info!

Jez

No matter what I do, I can't get it monitor audio unless
I'm acutually recording a track.

Or meter, either. Sometimes I wonder how they devise
their requirements lists?

Mike Rivers

Patrick wrote:
I've receive and try mine too....
No, there is no monitor unless recording... :-(

I think this is a big annoyance, but I'd guess that people who are into
recording with computers are used to it already. I've run into several
programs that don't have an "input monitor" mode when the "tape" is
stopped.

I don't have (or not see ?? You can ?) the stop button to stop a play file,
there is a "pause" button but can't stop the play !!
Forced to wait the end of file.

If this is true, it's really sillly.

I've plug two xlr--Jack 6.35 connectors to the inputs to plug my stereo mic
cable.
but before this, i've must grind down the two connectors,
to could connect it... not spacing beetwen the 2 inputs
The connectors, and xlr connector cable are more big than the MT !!!

That's the biggest problem with a tiny recorder - not enough room for
the connectors, controls and indicators. But GRIND DOWN connectors?
Really?

Richard Crowley

"Patrick" wrote ...
I don't have (or not see ?? You can ?) the stop button to stop a play
file,
there is a "pause" button but can't stop the play !!
Forced to wait the end of file.

Pressing in the "navigation joystick" both starts and
stops IME.

MT2496 AND THE APPLE OS INTERFACE

One more question folks whilst we're still on the radar :
My G4 is currently running OSX 10.3.2, not the 10.2.8 / 10.3.7 / 10.4
that the Microtrack manual states it needs to copy over the data. Also,
I have no desire to change it, since it's working OK with t'other
miriad of software versions thereon.

Anyone tried / had success / failed to connect the MT to a mac running
other than the three above specified OSs?

Cheers, Jez