Jonny Durango

Default Frankenmic!!!

No this is not my Halloween costume. I really love the look of the Shure
55SH mic, but HATE the sound. Likewise, I love the sound of the AUdix
OM5, but HATE the look. I'd like to pull the guts out of an OM5 and fit
them inside a 55SH body (I found one that's not working). I know the
55SH body has an adverse affect on the 57 capsule, would it likely do
the same thing for an OM5? Is there another old vintage looking "elvis"
mic that might work better or perhaps could house the entire OM5 body
and capsule? Thanks!

--

Jonny Durango

www.jdurango.com

"If the key of C is the people's key, what is the key of the bourgeoisie?"
Lorin David Schultz

"Jonny Durango" wrote:

[...] Is there another old vintage looking "elvis" mic that might work
better or perhaps could house
the entire OM5 body

You might be able to do something with one of Wes Dooley's (AEA) replica
RCA bodies:

http://www.wesdooley.com/aea/AEA_Rep...and_Parts.html

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Mike Rivers

Jonny Durango wrote:

I'd like to pull the guts out of an OM5 and fit
them inside a 55SH body (I found one that's not working). I know the
55SH body has an adverse affect on the 57 capsule, would it likely do
the same thing for an OM5?

What you'd get wouldn't sound the same as either the 55 or the Audix,
but it might still be more useful than a 55 that doesn't work, or even
one that does. I have two here that I've been saving to make into a hat
rack.

Is there another old vintage looking "elvis"
mic that might work better or perhaps could house the entire OM5 body
and capsule?

Wes Dooley (http://www.ribbonmics.com) will sell you an empty RCA 44 or
77 replica body. That's open enough inside so that it probably won't
change the sound of the capsule too much. But remember, some of what
you like about the Audix almost certainly comes from parts of the case
that you'll be removing to get to the capsule.

Scott Dorsey

Jonny Durango wrote:
No this is not my Halloween costume. I really love the look of the Shure
55SH mic, but HATE the sound. Likewise, I love the sound of the AUdix
OM5, but HATE the look. I'd like to pull the guts out of an OM5 and fit
them inside a 55SH body (I found one that's not working). I know the
55SH body has an adverse affect on the 57 capsule, would it likely do
the same thing for an OM5? Is there another old vintage looking "elvis"
mic that might work better or perhaps could house the entire OM5 body
and capsule? Thanks!

The problem is that the grille on the 55 is going to screw up both the
frequency response and the pattern of the capsule.

You'll notice the new reissue 55 mikes have basically the same capsule
as a 57.... but they sound a lot worse than a 57 and the pattern is very
wide. It's the grille that does that.