Ty Ford

Default Significantly reduced selfnoise of a Rode K2, etc

That's disappointing. I thought they were shipping with Sovtek 6922's

labeled JAN Philips SNIP

You have me confused. Are you saying that someone is actually labeling a

Sovtek tube as a JAN Philips?!?

Yes, Philips is/was, at Rode's request. Philips was contracted by Rode to

cherry-pick Sovtek 6922's because they had too high a failure rate, and
the result is a 6922 labeled JAN Philips, made in Russia, which is
particularily humerous since JAN stands for Joint Army-Navy, and were
originally produced at the height of the cold war.

-----------------------/////---------------------------------

Forwarding a response from Peter Freedman at Rode:

That's great, Phillips labeling tubes for us? I wish! Maybe when we start

selling 200,000 tubes mic per annum I will ask them!

What we do with tubes is as follows. We buy from various sources because we

use a lot of tubes! If we change batch, we first get samples and run them

through tests to make sure they are as labeled and up to the specification

demand. Then we 'burn in' each tube on our QC rigs, and then we measure for

noise, and even listen to each tube for intermittent noise. Once they are

'proven' they are used in K2 and NTK. That's a 6922.

The only JAN tubes we use are the NOS GE JAN 6072 and that's for Classic II,

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Bill Ruys

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
news

Forwarding a response from Peter Freedman at Rode:
That's great, Phillips labeling tubes for us? I wish! Maybe when we start
selling 200,000 tubes mic per annum I will ask them!
What we do with tubes is as follows. We buy from various sources because
we
use a lot of tubes! If we change batch, we first get samples and run them
through tests to make sure they are as labeled and up to the specification
demand. Then we 'burn in' each tube on our QC rigs, and then we measure
for
noise, and even listen to each tube for intermittent noise. Once they are
'proven' they are used in K2 and NTK. That's a 6922.
The only JAN tubes we use are the NOS GE JAN 6072 and that's for Classic
II,

Thanks, Ty. It didn't ring true to me that Rode would employ Philips to
hand pick tubes. Whoever listened to the tube in my K2 should see an
audiologist ASAP ;o)

Bill.

Tiernan

Ty Ford wrote:
That's disappointing. I thought they were shipping with Sovtek 6922's

labeled JAN Philips SNIP

You have me confused. Are you saying that someone is actually labeling a

Sovtek tube as a JAN Philips?!?

Yes, Philips is/was, at Rode's request. Philips was contracted by Rode to

cherry-pick Sovtek 6922's because they had too high a failure rate, and
the result is a 6922 labeled JAN Philips, made in Russia, which is
particularily humerous since JAN stands for Joint Army-Navy, and were
originally produced at the height of the cold war.

-----------------------/////---------------------------------

Forwarding a response from Peter Freedman at Rode:

That's great, Phillips labeling tubes for us? I wish! Maybe when we start

selling 200,000 tubes mic per annum I will ask them!
EDITS

ly JAN tubes we use are the NOS GE JAN 6072 and that's for Classic II,

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Mostly wanted to say HEY Ty.....www.deantiernan.com dean AT that DAW we
used to use daht com

Zigakly

-----------------------/////---------------------------------

Forwarding a response from Peter Freedman at Rode:

That's great, Phillips labeling tubes for us? I wish! Maybe when we start

selling 200,000 tubes mic per annum I will ask them!

What we do with tubes is as follows. We buy from various sources because

we

use a lot of tubes! If we change batch, we first get samples and run them

through tests to make sure they are as labeled and up to the specification

demand. Then we 'burn in' each tube on our QC rigs, and then we measure

for

noise, and even listen to each tube for intermittent noise. Once they are

'proven' they are used in K2 and NTK. That's a 6922.

The only JAN tubes we use are the NOS GE JAN 6072 and that's for Classic

II,

-- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other

audiocentric
stuff are at www.tyford.com

This directly contradicts an email from another Rode rep:

"Hi XXXXXX, It's still a Sovtec 6922, just from Jan Phillips, which is a
distributor of Sovtec who tests (cherry picks if you will) the Sovtec 6922
tube for us. RODE suggests using only RODE tube replacements from RODE to
get the true NTK spec. That's because we only use the tubes that come in at
the absolute lowest noise spec. That's how we deliver that amazing 12dB self
noise. Of course, we do an in depth 48 hour burn in on all tubes, another 24
hour in-mic burn in, and then listening tests on all NTK Tube mics.

You can get a replacement tube from the RODE MICROPHONES LLC office in
Torrance, CA by calling 310 328 7456.

Best regards,

Mark Ludmer

RODE MICROPHONES LLC"

So I guess we can't trust either of them. What I might be able to get is a
picture of a JAN Philips 6922, made in Russia, because I've seen them in the
flesh.

And to further contradict Ty's letter, another Rode rep insisted that the
NTK was engineered specifically for the Sovtek 6922, and that no other tube
should be used, while that guy says they shop around for the best deal.

Another thing, many posts are now missing from this thread, including one
similar to this I posted late last night, in fact the letter was still in
the clipboard. If you search "selfnoise k2" in groups.google.com only 3
messages appear, the first showing quoted text from missing posts, each from
people who posted at other points in the thread. Are we being moderated
now? And with what intent?

Chris Hornbeck

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:30:47 GMT, "Zigakly" wrote:

Are we being moderated
now? And with what intent?

Your ISP ages out News as it wishes.

Chris Hornbeck
Gen. Miller, Gen. Sanchez, Donald Rumsfeld, President Bush.