apa

Default from Cents to Hertz and back again

I think I could figure this out if I banged my head on the wall for
long enough. Probably easier to ask though...

Can anyone tell me how to covert a difference in hertz (say between 440
and 440.5) to cents? And in the other direction?

Scott Dorsey

apa wrote:
I think I could figure this out if I banged my head on the wall for
long enough. Probably easier to ask though...

Can anyone tell me how to covert a difference in hertz (say between 440
and 440.5) to cents? And in the other direction?

It's not trivial. The octave intervals are easy... if middle A is 440,
then the next A up on the keyboard is 880 Hz and the one below it is 220 Hz.

The problem is that the note intervals are not even factors, and how close
they are depends on the particular tuning of the instrument.

You can find a nifty formula for even temperament at:
http://www.hauptwerk.co.uk/CreatingO...50-Tuning.html

however, this may not relate to the actual tuning of any given
instrument.

There is only one way to answer this question: Thoroughly

Given a frequency of any note, the frequency of the next (half)note
equals the current one times 2^(1/12) Hz.

There are 12 half-notes in an octave, at every octave the note
frequency doubles.

The frequency of a normal A is defined as 440 Hz.

So A sharp=440* (2^(1/12))
=440* 1.05946309
=466.163762 Hz.

The same goes for cents, except in an octave there arent 12 cents but
1200, so the multiplier= 2^(1/1200)=1.00057779 to get from a note to a
note 1 cent higher (you'll need to calculate this repeatedly to get N
cents higher).

This is considering our current tonal system (if I'm not mistaken it's
called the "chromatic scale". Each half note has the same mathematical
distance to the next).

In Pythagoras' time, note frequencies were calculated differently,
based on fractions (of string lengths, to be more precise)

Frequency of next octave(A4-A5)
=base frequency*2/1
e.g.440*2/1=880 Hz
Frequency a fifth higher (A4-E5)
=base frequency*3/2
e.g. 440*3/2=660 Hz

Note that in chromatic tuning this is slightly different:
(a fifth is 7 half-notes):

440*((2^(1/12))^7)=659.255114.

Fractional tuning seems more 'correct' here.

Problem with the fractional system is that several answers are possible
for the frequency of any given note. If we keep going a fifth higher
over and over again until we're back at the original note ("Circle of
fifths"), we get slightly different results depending on the note that
we depart from. This is why classical music pieces always mentioned the
tonality; they would simply have sounded out of tune in any other
tonality.

Needless to say, chromatic tuning differs from fractional tuning, which
is why for example traditional music from the Middle East to our ears
sounds a bit "out of tune" to what we're used to.

It also explains why a guitar can never be tuned perfectly; the frets
are spaced based on chromatic tuning, whereas the nature of strings
dictates the other. As a guitarist this of course deeply frustrates me

Hope this clears up things!

Jens Rodrigo

apa wrote:
I think I could figure this out if I banged my head on the wall
for long enough. Probably easier to ask though...
Can anyone tell me how to covert a difference in hertz (say
between 440 and 440.5) to cents? And in the other direction?

Here is everything you need:
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-centsratio.htm

Cheers Jens

I forgot to mention. The "Circle of fifths" by the way also indicates
why in western music we use 12 half-notes: after 12 steps, you're back
at the note where you began (albeit several octaves higher).

apa

Exactly I needed, thanks!

Julian

On 24 Oct 2005 11:00:55 -0700, wrote:

This is considering our current tonal system (if I'm not mistaken it's
called the "chromatic scale". Each half note has the same mathematical
distance to the next).

Or sometimes called the even tempered scale. CHromatic is a true
description too since it is based on a all chromatic tones being
1/12th the given octave.

In Pythagoras' time, note frequencies were calculated differently,
based on fractions (of string lengths, to be more precise)

And many more tuning systems too. Bach's "well tempered" system was
not Pythagorean but not the modern even tempered system either. In
early music different tempering's were used for different compositions
and different modes.

Needless to say, chromatic tuning differs from fractional tuning, which
is why for example traditional music from the Middle East to our ears
sounds a bit "out of tune" to what we're used to.

I believe it is all part of the same system. When a blues singer uses
"blues notes" they are singing a variation generated by these commas.
A blues note sounds different, but not out of tune even to a western
ear. I've heard it said that the flat 7 as sung by a blues singer is
the perfectly tuned 7th harmonic of the tonic and that the blues 3rd
if the perfect fourth of that. I don't know if I believe that
specifically but I do believe blues notes are based on perfect
harmonic intervals.

BTW, having studied Eastern Indian music for over 25 years I'd like to
point out that the major scale in Indian music is identical to the
perfectly tempered major scale of western music. The difference in
intervals comes from the flats and sharps. Instead of just one note
between C and D there is thought to be several as used in different
ragas. And if you really really listen to blues singers you will
realize that there is more than one way to flat a blues note that
sounds correct.

Cool Stuff!

Julian

Julian

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:05:38 +0200, "Jens Rodrigo"
wrote:

Here is everything you need:
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-centsratio.htm

Cheers Jens

Really cool and really useful!

I do have a gripe with them that they incorrectly identify a perfect
5th as 1.498307 : 1 and perfect fourth as 1.334840 : 1. Perfect
intervals are fractions. A perfect 5th is 3/2 = 1.5000 : 1 and a
perfect fourth is 4/3 = 1.3333... : 1.

Julian

Mike Rivers

Julian wrote:

I do have a gripe with them that they incorrectly identify a perfect
5th as 1.498307 : 1 and perfect fourth as 1.334840 :

Well, nobody's perfect. I think the term "perfect fifth" is like "48V
phantom power" in another discussion. Everyone assumes that if it's a
fifth, it's perfect. The ratios in that calculator are for an equal
tempered scale, which, as everone knows, does not have "perfect" fifths
or thirds. This is why your guitar's B string is always out of tune
unless you're playing in the key of B (in which case every other string
it out of tune).

Heck, in the REAL MUSICIAN'S world, today a fifth isn't a fifth any
more, it's 750 mL.

Richard Crowley

kleinebre wrote ...
This is considering our current tonal system (if I'm not mistaken it's
called the "chromatic scale". Each half note has the same mathematical
distance to the next).

And that is a whole 'nuther can of worms. There are far more
tuning systems, schemes, modes, etc. than we know of. I think
there are well over a dozen just for pianos.

Jens Rodrigo

wrote:
Here is everything you need:
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-centsratio.htm

Really cool and really useful!
I do have a gripe with them that they incorrectly identify
a perfect 5th as 1.498307 : 1 and perfect fourth as
1.334840 : 1. Perfect intervals are fractions. A perfect
5th is 3/2 = 1.5000 : 1 and a perfect fourth is 4/3 =
1.3333... : 1.

A perfect 5th is not only 1.5 : 1 as you think,
1.498307 : 1 is also correct. See:
http://www.fact-index.com/p/pe/perfect_fifth.html
http://www.torvund.net/guitar/Theory..._intervals.asp
http://www.torvund.net/guitar/intervals/int-eb.asp

Diatonic intervals:
unison | minor second | major second | minor third |
major third | perfect fourth | tritone | perfect fifth |
minor sixth | major sixth | minor seventh |
major seventh | octave

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interval_(music)

Cheers Jens

Julian

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 00:39:26 +0200, "Jens Rodrigo"
wrote:

A perfect 5th is not only 1.5 : 1 as you think,
1.498307 : 1 is also correct. See:
http://www.fact-index.com/p/pe/perfect_fifth.html

Yeah I read what but I don't agree. I can also show you links where
1.5 is defined as a perfect fifth. Perfect by definition means not
tempered. Calling a tempered fifth "perfect" is really a misnomer
even it is common in popular usage.

The reason why even temperament works at all is that 1.498 is so damn
close to 1.500 that few can hear the difference and that the fourth
is also extremely close to a "real" perfect 4th. Thirds aren't as
close but still useable. 1.259921 is a tempered third. 1.25000 (5/4)
is a perfect third. Let's see you come up with a link somewhere that
claims a perfect third is not 5/4!

Julian

Julian

On 24 Oct 2005 15:27:11 -0700, "Mike Rivers"
wrote:

The ratios in that calculator are for an equal
tempered scale, which, as everone knows, does not have "perfect" fifths
or thirds. This is why your guitar's B string is always out of tune
unless you're playing in the key of B (in which case every other string
it out of tune).

I have been known to tune the B string differently for different keys
because of that.

Heck, in the REAL MUSICIAN'S world, today a fifth isn't a fifth any
more, it's 750 mL.

Can't argue with that!

Julian

Richard Crowley

"Julian" wrote ...
I do have a gripe with them that they incorrectly identify a perfect
5th as 1.498307 : 1 and perfect fourth as 1.334840 : 1. Perfect
intervals are fractions. A perfect 5th is 3/2 = 1.5000 : 1 and a
perfect fourth is 4/3 = 1.3333... : 1.

Depends on which tuning you are using. There is no single answer.

Julian

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:27:02 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

Depends on which tuning you are using. There is no single answer.

No, perfect intervals are by definition intervals that are based on
pure harmonics. Perfect intervals are possible in many tuning
systems. They are not possible in tempered tunings.

Julian

Jens Rodrigo

wrote:
A perfect 5th is not only 1.5 : 1 as you think,
1.498307 : 1 is also correct. See:
http://www.fact-index.com/p/pe/perfect_fifth.html

Yeah I read what but I don't agree. I can also show you links where
1.5 is defined as a perfect fifth. Perfect by definition means not
tempered. Calling a tempered fifth "perfect" is really a misnomer
even it is common in popular usage.
The reason why even temperament works at all is that 1.498 is so damn
close to 1.500 that few can hear the difference and that the fourth
is also extremely close to a "real" perfect 4th. Thirds aren't as
close but still useable. 1.259921 is a tempered third. 1.25000 (5/4)
is a perfect third. Let's see you come up with a link somewhere that
claims a perfect third is not 5/4!

Unison, fourth, fifth, octave. These intervals may be perfect,
augmented, or diminished. A perfect fourth is five semitones,
a perfect fifth is seven semitones, a perfect octave is twelve
semitones. A perfect unison occurs between notes of the
same pitch, so it is zero semitones. In each case, an
augmented interval contains one more semitone, a
diminished interval one fewer.

Cheers Jens

Phil Allison

"Scott Dorsey"

Can anyone tell me how to covert a difference in hertz (say between 440
and 440.5) to cents? And in the other direction?

It's not trivial. The octave intervals are easy... if middle A is 440,
then the next A up on the keyboard is 880 Hz and the one below it is 220
Hz.

The problem is that the note intervals are not even factors, and how close
they are depends on the particular tuning of the instrument.

You can find a nifty formula for even temperament at:
http://www.hauptwerk.co.uk/CreatingO...50-Tuning.html

however, this may not relate to the actual tuning of any given
instrument.

** What insane crap.

The "equal tempered" scale has been built into every fretted and keyboard
instrument for centuries.

Every semitone is the twelfth root of 2 times the note below it.

That is: 1.0594631 times.

A cent is 1/00 of a semitone.

......... Phil

Anahata

Julian wrote:
Yeah I read what but I don't agree. I can also show you links where
1.5 is defined as a perfect fifth. Perfect by definition means not
tempered. Calling a tempered fifth "perfect" is really a misnomer
even it is common in popular usage.

It's more than a popular misnomer. It's absolutely standard use by
musicians, who use the term "perfect" to distinguish it from a
diminished fifth. In that context, the fine distinctions between tuning
systems are irrelevant, we're only concerned about issues like "is that
note in bar 17 supposed to be an F natural or an F sharp?"

In other contexts, I'm sure your usage (I'd hestiate to call it a
definition) of "perfect" is valid, but it's not the only one.

Anahata
Mike Rivers

Jens Rodrigo wrote:
"Julian" wrote:

Unison, fourth, fifth, octave. These intervals may be perfect,
augmented, or diminished.

Augmented and diminished are musical terms meaning sharped or flatted a
half-step. Do they apply to temperment as well? I don't think so, but
the language of music might have become as corrupt as the language of
audio engineering by people who come into the field without education
about the fundamentals.

Joe Kesselman

BTW, the cents-versus-Hertz discussion has occurred multiple times in
rec.music.makers.squeezebox, since accordion tunings have to consider
the beat frequencies between similarly-tuned sets of reeds. You might
want to search there.

(Yeah, I know. Spare me.)
Julian

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:29:04 +0100, Anahata
wrote:

Julian wrote:
Yeah I read what but I don't agree. I can also show you links where
1.5 is defined as a perfect fifth. Perfect by definition means not
tempered. Calling a tempered fifth "perfect" is really a misnomer
even it is common in popular usage.

It's more than a popular misnomer. It's absolutely standard use by
musicians, who use the term "perfect" to distinguish it from a
diminished fifth. In that context, the fine distinctions between tuning
systems are irrelevant, we're only concerned about issues like "is that
note in bar 17 supposed to be an F natural or an F sharp?"

I've never heard this usage of the term. Being a jazz musician I am
well familiar with flatted fifths, shaped fifths and natural fifths,
but we never never call them perfect fifths. Who uses that?

It is common to call the intervals that are made of harmonics "pure"
intervals or "perfect" intervals. I think this is the original usage
of the term and the usage you refer to is a corruption. I think Mike
Rivers was correct one or two messages ago when he said "Augmented and
diminished are musical terms meaning sharped or flatted a half-step.
Do they apply to temperament as well? I don't think so, but the
language of music might have become as corrupt as the language of
audio engineering by people who come into the field without education
about the fundamentals."

In other contexts, I'm sure your usage (I'd hestiate to call it a
definition) of "perfect" is valid, but it's not the only one.

I'd hesitate to call your usage a definition too. If there are
historically many ways to temper a scale, how can any one temperament
create THE "perfect" fifth? I still maintain the perfect fifth is
based on the interval 3/2 which is the non-tempered fifth. If the
even tempered fifth is called perfect now a days it is only because
1.498307 is so very very close to 3/2 it hardly matters. How can you
possibly claim 1.488397 is the perfect fifth but 1.500000 is NOT the
perfect fifth?

I'll bet for every link you find that says 1.498 is the perfect fifth
I can find 2 more that says it isn't! :-)

The thing musicians who only know modern western music and are not
familiar with early western temperaments of temperaments in the rest
of the world don't understand is that the vast majority of scales in
all world music are originally based on the same 7 notes. This is
true even of Balinese music where some of the notes are so very
strange there is nothing at all like them in our culture. When you
talk to Balinese musicians (and I have been to Bali and done so) about
how they tune their instruments they will tell you they start with the
standard scale and then de-tune a certain amount untill teh amount of
detuned beats reaches the desired frequency. But they DO start with
the 7 note major scale. Classical Indian Music is definitely based on
the natural scale found in early western music. After studying sitar
for 20 some odd years I am sure of it. Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Dha Ni Sa is
exactly the same in tonality as Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Ti Do. From there
they take off and create a very complicated system of flatting and
sharping these notes using microtones. But they do originally start
with the same 7 notes that early western music also started with.

This most simple 7 note scale harmonically was discovered by various
musical cultures around the world. It was not invented. It was
discovered. It is harmonically the simplest way a single note and
it's simplest harmonics combine to produce a scale.

The octave and the fifth are the simplest harmonic intervals. The
fourth is merely the fifth inverted. So the Tonic fourth and fifth
are the most basic intervals harmonically. Starting from those 3
notes alone the other 4 notes of the 7 note major scale are generated
by using the perfect harmonic fifth and perfect harmonic third of
those notes as well.

It is joked how folk singers only know 3 chords - C F G. That's
because all the notes of a major scale are in one of those chords. If
you know those 3 chords you can use them and sound OK for most songs
written in a major key.

This simplest of all tuning systems is called just intonation.
http://www.justintonation.net/whatisji.html

They teach in western music there are 7 modes - Ionian, Dorian,
Phrygian, Locrian, Lydian, Aeolian, Mixolydian. These scales are
formed by using the same 7 notes harmonically derived as I just
described. If you start on an instrument tuned to a 7note scale
starting on what we call C today, you get the natural scale - Ionian.
Then if you start on D you get Dorian, E - Phrygian etc.

However we already created a problem with tuning. The ear wants to
hear the fifth and tonic as the same interval (perfect) regardless of
key or mode which is why there is all the hub bub about perfect fifths
in the first place. If you leave all the strings of your lyre (back
in the day) tuned to the just intoned C scale and now start your scale
on D you get the Dorian mode, a beautiful minor mode that much British
Isles Folk music is written in. However we have already created the
first IMPERFECT fifth. If you do the math you'll see that the note A
which was originally derived as the perfect third of F is NOT also the
perfect fifth of D. (9/8*3/2 = 27/16 is the A tuned to D, 4/3*5/4=
20/12 = 5/3 is the A tuned to F). The A in a D chord wants to be
sharper than the A in an F chord.

This difference in requirement of the A note in C Ionian and D Dorian
is called a comma. In some cases commas are hardly noticeable and are
ignored. In some early western music they are actually featured and
strictly specified. In other cases they are god awful sounding and of
no use musically. These harmonic clinkers in western music are called
wolf tones. It is because of these wolf tones that all sorts of ways
to tune developed in western music. Back in the day Pythagoras was
one of the first and most successful to address the problem:
http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/harmony/pyth.html

There are have been historically in western music many many ways to
deal with this. A good summary of most methods is he
http://pages.globetrotter.net/roule/temper.htm#_nr_308

Also of interest is this article by the musician who taught most of
this theory to me personally:
http://www.michaelharrison.com/harmonic-piano.html

I'll save my explanation of how Indian and Middle eastern music solved
the temperament problems. The main difference between world music
scales is how each culture chose to deal with these inharmonies.

Julian

Lars Farm

Phil Allison wrote:

Every semitone is the twelfth root of 2 times the note below it.

That is: 1.0594631 times.

A cent is 1/00 of a semitone.

So, the semitones are along a nonlinear function ( t[n] = 1,0594631 x
t[n-1] ), but the cents are linearly interpolated between them?

Lars

--
lars farm // http://www.farm.se
lars is also a mail-account on the server farm.se
anahata

Lars Farm wrote:

So, the semitones are along a nonlinear function ( t[n] = 1,0594631 x
t[n-1] ), but the cents are linearly interpolated between them?

I doubt it - I should think a cent is actually 1/1200th root of 2.

Not that it makes a lot of difference for practical purposes, as "small
difference" approximations apply.

--
Anahata
-+- http://www.treewind.co.uk
Mark Robinson

Hi Anahata,

You are correct. It is not a linear interpolation between semitones. At
least according to the definition of a cent given in Harry Olsen's "Music,
Physics, and Engineering". It matches your definition exactly.

Mark