SSkankin

Default Mackie 1604 question

This is prob. a stupid question but I am a little confused. How would I
hook at a limiter to a 1604 and what cable s are needed. I am sure
everyone know what the back of a 1604 looks like but just to refresh
you memory the main insert is a L and R, my limiter is an in and out.

thanks for your time.

Scott Dorsey

SSkankin wrote:
This is prob. a stupid question but I am a little confused. How would I
hook at a limiter to a 1604 and what cable s are needed. I am sure
everyone know what the back of a 1604 looks like but just to refresh
you memory the main insert is a L and R, my limiter is an in and out.

That depends. If you want to just limit one channel, put it in an insert.
If you want to limit the outputs on a PA system, put it between the main
outputs and the amps. If you want to limit a bunch of things, make a
group for it. (The latter is probably not useful but people do it anyway.)

SSkankin

I want to limit the output for a live show. How would i wire that.

thanks for your help.

Brian

Scott Dorsey

SSkankin wrote:
I want to limit the output for a live show. How would i wire that.

Between the main output and the amps. Of course, if this is a small
club application where a lot of the audience sound is coming from the
monitors, this won't help much.

If this is to keep the band soundguys under control, you may have to
lock the thing up in a box so they aren't tweaking the levels on it.

Mike Rivers

SSkankin wrote:
I want to limit the output for a live show. How would i wire that.

You probably really don't want to do that. But if you insist, connect
the limiter between the mixer output and the power amplifier input. If
it's a mono limiter, connect it between the mono output and your power
amplifier input.

The later 1604s have an insert point on the main output that has worked
well for me in this regard.

Philip Perkins

Arny Krueger

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
ups.com
SSkankin wrote:
I want to limit the output for a live show. How would i
wire that.

You probably really don't want to do that.

Why not?

Since I do most of the live sound I do in a technical
context (digital console) where limiters are essentially
plentiful and free, I've put a limiter on every main and
aux output - each with a fairly sharp cutoff above
*uncomfortably loud* and below *destruction of equipment*.

For one thing, it makes ringing a system out a whole lot
easier. The possiblity of a certain common class of
expensive mistakes is close to zero.

Mike Rivers

Arny Krueger wrote:

I want to limit the output for a live show. How would i
wire that.

You probably really don't want to do that.

Why not?

Because he's inexperienced (obviously - if he doesn't know how to hook
up a compressor). He may not realize that it's working and end up
compressing the mix all the time.

I should have looked harder at the picture. I thought the 1604 had
insert jacks on the main output busses, but I didn't see them on quick
glance. They'll work, but they're unbalanced, which tends to make some
people worry.

Jonny Durango

Scott Dorsey wrote:
SSkankin wrote:

I want to limit the output for a live show. How would i wire that.

Between the main output and the amps.

Assuming we're talking about the 1604vlz, it also has main
inserts....actually i think the original 1604 does also.

--

Jonny Durango

www.jdurango.com

"If the key of C is the people's key, what is the key of the bourgeoisie?"
Pooh Bear

Arny Krueger wrote:

For one thing, it makes ringing a system out a whole lot
easier. The possiblity of a certain common class of
expensive mistakes is close to zero.

You can take out the compression drivers just as easily with a simple
limiter in the chain.

Only a 'proper' speaker processor will protect you from that.

Graham

Roger W. Norman

You don't need main inserts. You run the main outs to the compressor, outs
from there to the main amps.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio