Default mic help needed

Hopefully some of you guys can give me some good ideas. Here's my
situation:
I have a home studio ( Nuendo, Mackie board) in a 20 x 20 converted
garage, but have no vocal booth yet. I've been recording my vocals
with a 414 for several years. I'm not a great singer, but would like
to get a better( bigger, more airy) sound . I end up having to eq my
vocals down at around 500 and up at 3-5k. I'm trying to figure out if
I would be better with a higher quality mic, or a good mic pre,etc.
A friend lent me a TC gold channel, and it has some great presets, but
is real complicated for setting up custom patches. I've also thought
about the Avalon 737, but haven't really been able to play with one.
Should I be thinking more about a better mic, or a mic pre ( or both).
There's really no place down here (south Fl.) wher I can try various
mics, or pre's. The suggestions I've gotten on mics range from akg
solid tube,Nueman tl 103,blue bottle,u87, Soundelux. I've also heard
a lot about the SE Gemini, but haven't tried it.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Ty Ford

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 09:22:33 -0400, wrote
(in article .com):

[...]

Air? The 414 is a pretty airy Mic. Do you have lots of foam or carpet up?

Bigger? So you want something that sounds NOT like you? There's a lot of
"BIG" at 500Hz.

Instead of 500 Hz move down to 125 Hz and fiddle with stuff from there down.

Ty Ford

stuff are at
www.tyford.com

rick hollett

Which 414? The TL11(gold screen) is a lot airier than the ULS(silver
screen). Have you tried any dynamics? You may be pleasantly surprised.
Sometimes a 58 works better due to the eq curve in the mic.

Rick Hollett

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Scott Dorsey

wrote:
Hopefully some of you guys can give me some good ideas. Here's my
situation:
I have a home studio ( Nuendo, Mackie board) in a 20 x 20 converted
garage, but have no vocal booth yet. I've been recording my vocals
with a 414 for several years. I'm not a great singer, but would like
to get a better( bigger, more airy) sound . I end up having to eq my
vocals down at around 500 and up at 3-5k. I'm trying to figure out if
I would be better with a higher quality mic, or a good mic pre,etc.

1. If you have 500 Hz issues, I'd suspect a room problem.

2. How are you using the Mackie? Are you just using the preamp and pulling
out of the inserts, or are you tracking through the whole thing?

A friend lent me a TC gold channel, and it has some great presets, but
is real complicated for setting up custom patches. I've also thought
about the Avalon 737, but haven't really been able to play with one.
Should I be thinking more about a better mic, or a mic pre ( or both).

While I am not a fan of the 414 series (although it should be pointed
out that the various 414 variants all sound pretty different), I'd be
looking at room problems before anything else. I also might consider
radical EQ in the very top octave if that's the kind of airiness you
are aiming for.

If you are having to EQ the 414 up at 3-5kc, try instead pulling _down_
below that. Try and think about subtractive EQ rather than additive.
Odds are what you really want is to pull out something in the 1-3 kc
region.

There's really no place down here (south Fl.) wher I can try various
mics, or pre's. The suggestions I've gotten on mics range from akg
solid tube,Nueman tl 103,blue bottle,u87, Soundelux. I've also heard
a lot about the SE Gemini, but haven't tried it.

Might be worth a trip to Miami to check some mikes out, but I'd spend
a little time trying harder to get the sound out of the setup you have.
Jeff Jasper

Bruce Yarock said:

I've been recording my vocals
with a 414 for several years. I'm not a great singer, but would like
to get a better( bigger, more airy) sound . I end up having to eq my
vocals down at around 500 and up at 3-5k. I'm trying to figure out if
I would be better with a higher quality mic, or a good mic pre,etc.

And then Ty Ford replied:

Air? The 414 is a pretty airy Mic. Do you have lots of foam or carpet up?

Bigger? So you want something that sounds NOT like you? There's a lot of
"BIG" at 500Hz.

Instead of 500 Hz move down to 125 Hz and fiddle with stuff from there

down.

Ty's right, you really don't want to be screwing around with the 400-500Hz
region. Dipping these freqencies will make you sound like you have a
stuffed-up nose or an adenoid problem. Now, I'm going to tell you a bunch
of stuff that is counter-intuitive.

If you want to sound bigger and more airy, you have to sing less loudly.
Ironically, the louder you sing the smaller you'll sound. You don't have to
be loud to sound powerful. Incidentally, this idea applies to drums as
well.

Make sure your mic is at least 8" out, and for singing 12" is a better
starting place. Especially if you back off a 414, 500Hz will be much less
of a problem and your lows will come into focus and out of the muck. The
mic needs distance to capture your chest in addition to your throat and
face, and to keep the proximity effect from being overwhelming. If moving
the mic out is giving you problems with your room, then put the mic 12 - 18"
out and fix the dang room. There is no substitute for good mic placement.

You say you're recording in Nuendo. Are you using compression? Moderate
compression will make you sound bigger and airier, but too much will make
you sound small.

You also mentioned that you were running the 414 into a Mackie. I thank Ty
for pointing out to me several years ago that 414's don't really like some
Mackies. I use the old analog 8-bus, and with a 414 switching to even a
Symetrix was a noticeable improvement. Now I just use the Mackie for
monitoring. Still, I'd worry about buying a new preamp LAST.

You don't need a new mic. None of the mics you mentioned are better than a
414, just different. And I tell you that, NOT being a real fan of the 414
myself, and as a former owner of a 414 TL-II and current owner of a U87Ai
and a pair of TLM-103s.

Trust me. Quit screwing with 500Hz and sing softer. Try singing half as
loud. Then try halving that again and see what happens.

Jeff Jasper
www.jeffjasper.com

SSJVCmag

On 10/22/05 12:35 PM, in article ,
"Jeff Jasper" wrote:
[...]

All repeated because it's just so damned well-written and so ... Well just
danged RIGHT.

Is Mr. Jasper running for anything I can vote for?

Guys, thanks for the info.To answer some of your questions-
1-The 414 is a c414 b-tl ii.
2- I had been going into the Mackie and out to Nuendo via one of the
subs. Lately I've been going into the Gold Channel to Nuendo(digital),
and monitoring through the mackie.
3-I had been using a little compression with a lower end Behrringer as
an insert to the mackie channel.
I'm going to try more "subtractive" eq approach as reccomended.

Distance from the mic-I think I've probably been to close in the past.
Not really being a trained singer who can project, I guess I've
compensated by getting real close to the mic. maybe I was tricking
myself (because it was easier) into thinking I was getting a fuller,
more intimate sound.Maybe that was causing my eq problems. I'll try
backing off to at least 10' and see how that affects my sound.
If I continue using a mic pre, would you suggest using some mild
"subtractive" eq on the tracking end?
Thanks again for answering.
Bruce Yarock

Jeff Jasper

SSJVCmag wrote:

Is Mr. Jasper running for anything I can vote for?

The highway..... G

Jeff Jasper
www.jeffjasper.com

Ty Ford

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 16:39:37 -0400, wrote
(in article .com):

Guys, thanks for the info.To answer some of your questions-
1-The 414 is a c414 b-tl ii.
2- I had been going into the Mackie and out to Nuendo via one of the
subs. Lately I've been going into the Gold Channel to Nuendo(digital),
and monitoring through the mackie.
3-I had been using a little compression with a lower end Behrringer as
an insert to the mackie channel.
I'm going to try more "subtractive" eq approach as reccomended.

HA! compression. OK, I don't know the Behringer compressor, but here are some
ideas. no more than 1-3 dB gain reduction. no higher than 1.5:1 ratio. mid
attack, mid release.

I've encountered some folks who think 10 dB of gain reduction is "a little"
because the meter goes to 30. That's not how it works.

Distance from the mic-I think I've probably been to close in the past.
Not really being a trained singer who can project, I guess I've
compensated by getting real close to the mic. maybe I was tricking
myself (because it was easier) into thinking I was getting a fuller,
more intimate sound.Maybe that was causing my eq problems. I'll try
backing off to at least 10' and see how that affects my sound.
If I continue using a mic pre, would you suggest using some mild
"subtractive" eq on the tracking end?
Thanks again for answering.
Bruce Yarock

If you're climbing up on the mic, that's bad. 10" is good. That'll get rid of
your low end hump. Also, if you use a bit of compression during the mix, it
will also tuck in the bottom.

As for your acoustics. I have had recent success by using the figure of eight
pattern on vocals. I position the mic horizontally and have the nulls aimed
at the ceiling and the floor.

My space is 25' x 35'. I set the mic up at one end of the room. At the other
end of the room, I have an entire wall of LPs. It's a very nice diffusion
wall. I also have a few side wall treatments, mostly 2" x 2' x 4' panels of
Auralex and have covered several of the 2' x 4' "acoustic ceiling panels with
1" foam. Note: SPARINGLY! Foam rooms suck the life out of everything. In
small spaces with loud sounds, you will excite the foam and you can hear it.

One of my clients says she likes it here because of the space she hears on
her vocals. I'm thinking it's the room and the way the backside of the figure
of eight is catching what comes back off the LPs. (and what doesn't come back
as ceiling bounce.)

I'm using a Neumann U 89 through a Millennnia Media STT-1. You can hear what
she sounds like by going to my site, clicking on the link at the bottom of
the first column and downloading "Wind" by Symbiont. My own latest tune
"Existential Boogie" uses the same mic technique, same mic.

BTW, I have had engineers who really didn't like any 414 or TLM 103, because
they sounded too nasty on the top. When they heard them through my GML
preamps they were quite amazed. It was fun to observe the discovery.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at
www.tyford.com

**bg**

Default Re Rick's point re SM58 - mic help needed

"rick hollett" wrote in message

Sometimes a 58 works better due to the eq curve in the mic.

Rick Hollett

Agreed.

Plus compressing
and pre and post eqing;
doubling;
mono slap, eqd, reverb(?);
stereo aux delayed, eqd reverb(?);
toy with panning, eq and levels throughout

Look around at www.musicbooksplus.com re this subject...

Cheers,
-bg-

www.lchb.ca

Scott Dorsey

**bg** wrote:

"rick hollett" wrote in message

Sometimes a 58 works better due to the eq curve in the mic.

Agreed.

But, I find that wherever a 58 works, a Beyer M-500 tends to work better.
It has that same enormous presence peak, but better top end than the 58
(even better than a 57) and a very smooth vocal sound. Really great on
nasal singers.

Ty,
Thanks . I'll try the figure 8.Have you ever used the Gold Channel?
I'll look uo thesst on the inetrnet.
I really have no treatment in the room.I have totirn off the ac when
recording.Occasionaly if a loud bike ( or kid with a $200 car with fart
pipe) goes by, it's audible. I figured it woud be cheaper to build a
vocal booth of sorts.
I would really like to get some "space" on my vocals also. from what
you say it's a function of the room ( rather than just reverb/delay
after).
If you don't mind, I'll email you pics of my room.maybe you can give
me your oppinion.
Right now we're finishing putting up shutters and sand bags for
tommorrow's hurricane. Hope we don't need it.
Bruce Yarock

WillStG

wrote:
Guys, thanks for the info.To answer some of your questions-
1-The 414 is a c414 b-tl ii.
2- I had been going into the Mackie and out to Nuendo via one of the
subs. Lately I've been going into the Gold Channel to Nuendo(digital),
and monitoring through the mackie.
3-I had been using a little compression with a lower end Behrringer as
an insert to the mackie channel.

Maybe remove the Behringer compressor from the chain and use the
compression in the Gold Channel instead. Turn all the other stuff in
the Gold Channel off too, except if you need EQ filters.

Distance from the mic-I think I've probably been to close in the past.
Not really being a trained singer who can project, I guess I've
compensated by getting real close to the mic. maybe I was tricking
myself (because it was easier) into thinking I was getting a fuller,
more intimate sound.Maybe that was causing my eq problems. I'll try
backing off to at least 10' and see how that affects my sound.

Just turn the volume up in your headphones instead of eating the
mic. You do get more low end when you get closer, but you could also
use a narrower pattern to get more of that "proximity effect" as well,
try the figure 8 as Ty suggested at a greater distance. But when you
use a figure 8 pattern take one ear on your headphones off and listen
to yourself in the room acoustically: what you hear (or don't hear)
can be confusing when you use a figure 8 pattern. If you want "air"
you have to give the mic space between you and it - and 10" isn't so
far away either, a classical tenor might sing 3 feet (or more) away
from a mic. At 2 feet away on a Beta 58 Ronan Tynan sounds way too
close and dry, not quite right for the style of music, but at least he
doesn't feel a need to eat the mic.

If I continue using a mic pre, would you suggest using some mild
"subtractive" eq on the tracking end?

I'd suggest doing as little as possible when you are tracking,
for now.

Will Miho
NY Music/TV/Live Sound/Audio Post Guy

Jeff Jasper

Bruce Yarock wrote:

Right now we're finishing putting up shutters and sand bags for
tommorrow's hurricane. Hope we don't need it.

Sorry to hear that Bruce, I'm sure we all wish you the best of luck. These
days I'm glad to have re-settled in my small northern Louisiana hometown
rather than New Orleans after my father died in '01.

For you and those who may be interested, there's a good example of "louder =
smaller" on my website at
http://www.jeffjasper.com/downloads/...sboro07tag.mp3.

There are 2 takes "loud announcer style" and then 2 takes "grungy announcer
style." It's also a good example of "hard compression = smaller." The
first two takes are compressed 12dB @ 6:1, 50ms attack, .5s release. The
last two takes are compressed 4dB @ 6:1, 50ms attack, .5s release.

Other disclaimers:

Sennheiser MKH-416 @ 6" with foam pop filter into second-generation Symetrix
628 with above compression settings and +5dB @ 3.0kHz, .75 octave Q. Then
digitally into MTU MicroSound @ 16-bit 44.1kHz, then normalized to -0.1dB
and converted to LAME mono 192kHz .mp3 using dBPowerAmp.

Yeah, I know, that's ALL extremely hot. It's not an audiophile approach,
it's a client-thrilling approach. And they *are* thrilled. For local-run
commercials, the producers do like the very forward mids and in-your-face
compression. And yes, even tho it is noticeably more harsh, the video
editors do like as hot a level as possible on the .mp3s. Right or wrong,
the people I deal with have a *thing* for "full modulation." Only a couple
of clients in the last 10 years have asked for unprocessed tracks. If I
were mixing music, I'd have a much more audiophile approach. Unfortunately,
unlike Ty, I haven't recorded music in probably 6 years now. That's life in
The Swamp.

Jeff Jasper
www.jeffjasper.com