Michael R. Kesti

Default A BIG RED LIGHTBULB!

A while back we discussed ways to light a "BIG RED LIGHTBULB" that comes
on when one's DAW is in record. Remember? Some interest was shown in
a device that could control a lamp or two in response to MIDI Machine
Control (MMC) messages and I have coded up an 8051 program that does
just that. This program runs on my Urge To Merge (UtoM) device as may
be seen at http://home.comcast.net/~mrkesti/

The following is an excerpt from the UTOM manual.

The RelayMMC custom version was written in response to discussions
in Usenet's rec.audio.pro newsgroup and controls the relays based
on receipt of MIDI Machine Control (MMC) messages and dipswitch
settings. MIDI inputs are merged and real time messages are filtered
from MIDI input 1. The footswitch inputs are not used.

http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/mmc.htm shows that MMC messages
specify device IDs and commands. The device IDs allow sub-networks
of reporting and receiving devices and the commands indicate the
current state of the reporting device.

Dipswitch DS1 specifies a 7-bit device ID and an omni mode enable.
Dipswitch DS2 specifies two 4-bit commands, one associated with
each of the two relays. The state of the relays is determined
each time a MMC message is received from either of the MIDI inputs
and the dispswitch-specified device IDs and commands are compared
with those in the messages. If the device IDs match or omni mode
is enabled, then the command values are tested. A relay is
energized when its command value matches the messages' otherwise
it is de-energized. The UTILITY lamp is lit when either relay is
energized.

The manual, shematics, and a zip of the complete source, documentation,
and tool set can be downloaded from
http://home.comcast.net/~mrkesti/downloads

THE UTOM's RELAYS MUST NEVER BE USED TO DIRECTLY SWITCH AC LINE POWER!

These relays are intended to switch low voltage circuits such as the
24-volt power typically used in tally systems. In order to safely
control AC line current, you must use the UTOM relays to control other,
more suitable, relays or solid state controls.

This program also runs on a smaller board I have designed and call the
Generic MIDI board and may better fit your application. This 3.25" by
4.0" board has only one MIDI input so it provides no merging. MMC
device ID and commands are set using jumpers on headers rather than
dipswitches. The outputs are unbuffered 8051 Port0 pins rather than
relays and will likeley require some sort of interface to control
external devices.

I have about 10 Urge To Merge units on hand and ready for almost
immediate delivery and will build Generic MIDI boards to order for
delivery in 2 to 3 weeks.

Let me know if you're interested.

Please note my fail-mail address and decode the address in my sig.

| two, one and one make one."
Michael R. Kesti

"Michael R. Kesti" wrote:

The manual, shematics, and a zip of the complete source, documentation,
and tool set can be downloaded from
http://home.comcast.net/~mrkesti/downloads

Make that: http://home.comcast.net/~mrkesti/download/download.htm

...walking away muttering
| two, one and one make one."
hank alrich

Michael R. Kesti wrote:

"Michael R. Kesti" wrote:

The manual, shematics, and a zip of the complete source, documentation,
and tool set can be downloaded from
http://home.comcast.net/~mrkesti/downloads

Make that: http://home.comcast.net/~mrkesti/download/download.htm

...walking away muttering

Into Foley now, Michael? g

--
ha
Lorin David Schultz

"Michael R. Kesti" wrote

A while back we discussed ways to light a "BIG RED LIGHTBULB" that
comes on when one's DAW is in record.

(snip)
This program also runs on a smaller board I have designed and call
the Generic MIDI board and may better fit your application. [...]
The outputs are unbuffered 8051 Port0 pins rather than relays and
will likeley require some sort of interface to control external
devices.

Lemme preface this with a DUMBGUY ALERT!!!

My understanding of electronics is limited to knowing the variables in
Ohm's law (I only get the order of those variable right one time in
three). That said...

I'd like to have a light come on when I press record. My MIDI interface
has lots of outputs, so I don't need anything as elaborate as the UTOM.
The Generic MIDI Board would be fine except that I wouldn't have any
idea how to adapt the output to something I can use. Is there any
chance of you offering an upgraded version of the GMB with a relay
output? If so, how much $?

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Mike Rivers

Lorin David Schultz wrote:

I'd like to have a light come on when I press record. My MIDI interface
has lots of outputs, so I don't need anything as elaborate as the UTOM.

Really, you do. The smarts are required to determine from the MIDI port
when you actually pressed Record. And not only does the gadget have to
be smart, the DAW program has to be smart enough to send MIDI machine
code. It would be simpler to turn on the light when MIDI activity (like
transmitting MIDI time code) is detected, but it wouldn't know the
difference between playing and recording.

There may be a DIY project in the works, but those things come along at
their own schedule.

Michael R. Kesti

Lorin David Schultz wrote:

snip

I'd like to have a light come on when I press record. My MIDI interface
has lots of outputs, so I don't need anything as elaborate as the UTOM.
The Generic MIDI Board would be fine except that I wouldn't have any
idea how to adapt the output to something I can use. Is there any
chance of you offering an upgraded version of the GMB with a relay
output? If so, how much $?

I could do that, and have even given it some thought, but it would
almost double the cost of the GMB solution while I'm only asking 25% more
for UTOM over the GMB. Also, it may matter to you that I failed to mention
that I offer the GMB as an unenclosed, assembled and tested PC board. The
UTOM includes a nicely silscreened enclosure with front panel LEDs.

So, how much? I'm asking US$125 for the Urge To Merge and US$100 for
the Generic MIDI I/O board, plus US$7.50 each for shipping. Both include
a 110VAC/9VDC wall wart and the GMB includes mating connectors.

I realize that these prices are a little high but I'm just a guy building
low volume stuff in his garage so my costs are high. The PC boards are
especially expensive in small quantities.

Also, I cannot offer long term warrantees, but do offer your money back
if you're not satisfied and you return your purchase within 30 days and
in the same condition you received it.

One reason I'm disinclined to offer a board that switches AC line current
(REMEMBER! The UTOM relays must NEVER be used to switch AC line current!)
are the liabilities invloved. I figure that offering a UL approved wall
wart and some low voltage circuitry is pretty safe but I'm afraid to supply
something that somebody might kill themselves with.

And I simply WILL NOT be responsible if you electrocute yourself, burn
your house down, or suffer damages of any kind while using my stuff.

| two, one and one make one."
Michael R. Kesti

Mike Rivers wrote:

Lorin David Schultz wrote:

I'd like to have a light come on when I press record. My MIDI interface
has lots of outputs, so I don't need anything as elaborate as the UTOM.

Really, you do. The smarts are required to determine from the MIDI port
when you actually pressed Record.

He meant elaborate compared to the Generic MIDI I/O board, my stripped down
8051 MIDI board.

And not only does the gadget have to
be smart, the DAW program has to be smart enough to send MIDI machine
code.

That's correct.

It would be simpler to turn on the light when MIDI activity (like
transmitting MIDI time code) is detected, but it wouldn't know the
difference between playing and recording.

Yes, but that's a pretty good idea, and one that could be done. I already
have the MIDI time code receivers from my MTC display.

There may be a DIY project in the works, but those things come along at
their own schedule.

Hey, I'm on it, man! Check it all out at

http://home.comcast.net/~mrkesti/
http://home.comcast.net/~mrkesti/stuff/mmcdecoder/

That last one's new since I started this thread. And then there's the
MTC display at

http://home.comcast.net/~mrkesti/stuff/mtcdisplay

| two, one and one make one."
Pooh Bear

Lorin David Schultz wrote:

"Michael R. Kesti" wrote

[...]

A dedicated simple design would make a lot of sense in this application.

In principle it's dead easy.

Like everything there's an upfront cost to cover making batches of pcbs etc.

And if you want the pcb stuffed in an enclosure that's extra too.

Graham