Me

Default Free: Radiotron Designer's Handbook, 4th Edition

http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3397758

Arny Krueger

Default Radiotron Designer's Handbook, 4th Edition

"Me" wrote in message
news:1129535720.485bf70886bec7458719589894e77900@t eranews

http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3397758

Many different editions can be found in many places on the
web:

for example:

http://www.vcomp.co.uk/manuals/rca_r..._radiotron.htm

http://kanak.perl.it/amptronic

etc.

Mike Rivers

Who wants to read a 3 inch thick book on your computer? A book like
that should be on the shelf (and taken down, occasioally) not read on
the small screen.

RD Jones

Mike Rivers wrote:
Who wants to read a 3 inch thick book on your computer? A book like
that should be on the shelf (and taken down, occasioally) not read on
the small screen.

As are the several copies of the Radio Amateur's
Handbook (etc,etc) on the shelf here.
One of the few reasons I could envision a .PDF file
being advantageous is the abilty to printout an
individual page for a circuit diagram or chart.

rd

Ben Bradley

On 17 Oct 2005 21:34:15 -0700, "RD Jones" wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:
Who wants to read a 3 inch thick book on your computer? A book like
that should be on the shelf (and taken down, occasioally) not read on
the small screen.

As are the several copies of the Radio Amateur's
Handbook (etc,etc) on the shelf here.
One of the few reasons I could envision a .PDF file
being advantageous is the abilty to printout an
individual page for a circuit diagram or chart.

It would be nice to be able to search the text too, but the .pdf on
the Old Colony CD is (as I recall, it's been a while since I looked,
especially since I got the 3-inch-thick hardback edition) all scans,
no OCR'ed text.

rd

William Sommerwerck

It would be nice to be able to search the text too, but the .pdf on
the Old Colony CD is (as I recall, it's been a while since I looked,
especially since I got the 3-inch-thick hardback edition) all scans,
no OCR'ed text.

Just imagine what that would cost to produce. Ouch!

The RDH is of a size and thickness that makes it a pleasure to hold in the
left hand while one browses with the right. If yoiu really want one, it's
worth the $40.

Miles Jackson

William Sommerwerck wrote:
It would be nice to be able to search the text too, but the .pdf on
the Old Colony CD is (as I recall, it's been a while since I looked,
especially since I got the 3-inch-thick hardback edition) all scans,
no OCR'ed text.

Just imagine what that would cost to produce. Ouch!

The RDH is of a size and thickness that makes it a pleasure to hold in the
left hand while one browses with the right. If yoiu really want one, it's
worth the $40.

Reasonable used copies of the 4th ed. typically go for $80-$120 nowadays
(see www.powells.com). Still worth it, though.

Miles
Scott Dorsey

Miles Jackson wrote:

Reasonable used copies of the 4th ed. typically go for $80-$120 nowadays
(see www.powells.com). Still worth it, though.

The problem is that they took all the great transformer stuff out of the
fourth edition to save space, when they put everything else in it. So if you
care about transformers and disc recording, you need both the third and
fourth.

Chris Hornbeck

On 23 Oct 2005 23:49:39 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Miles Jackson wrote:

Reasonable used copies of the 4th ed. typically go for $80-$120 nowadays
(see
www.powells.com). Still worth it, though.

Powell's this Saturday! Yeah. Then the Thai Peacock across
the street. Then the Halloween party at Max and Rebekah's.
Be there or L7. Anybody near PDX please email me for directions.

The problem is that they took all the great transformer stuff out of the
fourth edition to save space, when they put everything else in it. So if you
care about transformers and disc recording, you need both the third and
fourth.

Especially true for all the (cough, cough, mumble .. other..
closet) SET folks out there. In the words of the Spanish Resistance
"We are not many, but we know who we are." Or possibly
something more inspiring and more easily tranlated; whichever
sounds better.

But seriously, the 3rd edition includes lots of good stuff
about iron-cored inductors with DC, stuff that is designed
around these last many decades, for lotsa good reasons (cost,
cost, cost, weight, cost, etc.)

If you're some whacko beyond the pale doing one-offs for no
bux, you need the third edition as much as the fourth. The names
have changed, but the principles haven't. And, Godspeed.

Chris Hornbeck
Gen. Miller, Gen. Sanchez, Donald Rumsfeld, President Bush.
William Sommerwerck

The RDH is of a size and thickness that makes it a pleasure to hold in
the
left hand while one browses with the right. If yoiu really want one, it's
worth the $40.

Reasonable used copies of the 4th ed. typically go for $80-$120 nowadays
(see www.powells.com). Still worth it, though.

Mine came from eBay, and I remember paying $45, including shipping. It's in
only slightly worse shape than if it had simply sat on someone's bookshelf,
untouched.

Bookstores tend to overcharge.

William Sommerwerck

I just checked eBay. Though one seller is asking $100 to start, the actual
bids run from $5.79 to $22.50.