Gillian Martins

Default FireWire 410 'clicks' b4 each sound like its switching on

Often, when my computer makes a noise, I do not hear the sound effect at the
right time from the FW410 but rather I hear a \'click\' as if the driver is
\'switching on\' then a second later I get the sound. E.g. if a WinXP alert
window pops up that would normally make a \'ding\' sound, instead I get the
window with an electrical clicking, then after a second\'s delay, a belated
\'ding\'.

M-audio recommended a full driver uninstall and reinstall, which I have
done.

It's almost as if some other program is turning off or switching the driver
to some other device, but I can't think what :-S

Any ideas?

Thanks.

sane54

Call Swee****er technical support. They have a WinXP checklist of
things to turn off that might interfere with the operation of sound
card. They also recommend uninstalling service pack 2, which I was too
scared to do. I have had no problems so far with firewire 410 except
for problems related to the unbalanced outputs.

artbeat77

Sorry for the basic suggestion, but have you downloaded the latest
driver from M-Audio? Also, try turning off Windows' sound scheme. Those
dings aren't telling you anything you don't already know anyway, plus
you don't need them showing up during a tracking session.

I have a FW410 w/ XP and SP2 running, and haven't had this problem.

Janne Kaipainen

Gillian Martins wrote:
Often, when my computer makes a noise, I do not hear the sound effect at the
right time from the FW410 but rather I hear a \'click\' as if the driver is
\'switching on\' then a second later I get the sound. E.g. if a WinXP alert
window pops up that would normally make a \'ding\' sound, instead I get the
window with an electrical clicking, then after a second\'s delay, a belated
\'ding\'.

I think this relates to changing the internal sampling rate of the
card. Your basic windows sounds play at 44.1kHz, and you card is probably
set to default to some higher rate (see the card's control panel).
So when Windows 'dings', the card has to reset the sampling rate first,
resulting in a click-and-a-delay. The solution is to set the 44.1kHz sampling
rate as the default, or preferably use a separate (cheapo) sound card for
Windows sounds and other non-recording related stuff.

--
- janne kaipainen - http://robotnik.rikosrecords.com

Gillian Martins

"Janne Kaipainen" wrote in message
Gillian Martins wrote:
[...]

You're a genius! That was it. The M-Audio Control Panel was set to 48000.
The only way I could find to change it to 411000 was to reset the Control
Panel to its defaults.

I believe this happens because my Korg PA1X Pro keyboard outputs at 48000
which causes the FW410 to change to that.

The question left now is, how do I make the Control Panel automatically
switch itself to 441000 when I disconnect or switch off the Korg?

The whole thing of switching the SPDIF inputs seems decidedly clunky. Any
ideas?

--
- janne kaipainen - http://robotnik.rikosrecords.com

Janne Kaipainen

Gillian Martins wrote:

The question left now is, how do I make the Control Panel automatically
switch itself to 441000 when I disconnect or switch off the Korg?

I would've thought that if you set it manually to 44.1kHz, the card would
reset to that setting when the Korg is not present in the samy manner it
now resets to 48kHz after playing the windows 'ding' - but apparently that
is not the case. I'm sorry, I ran out of good ideas. I think my old Delta
44 card (don't have it any more so can't check, I'm using Phase 88 FW Rack
these days) had a clickbox on the control panel to lock the sampling rate,
but you probably wouldn't want to do that anyway, because of the Korg. Well,
it wouldn't hurt to test the setting if you find the clickbox on yours.

I use the sound card integrated to my computer's mother board for Windows
sounds etc, works nicely.

--
- janne kaipainen - http://robotnik.rikosrecords.com
Gillian Martins

Oh dear, I now find that even if I don't plug in the Korg, it is resetting
itself to 48. What would cause it to keep doing that if I have nothing
plugged into the device's inputs? It is acting purely in soundcard mode,
yet won't stay at 44.1 for more than half an hour or so.

Also this is a recent occurrence, but I can't think what software would
cause it.
--
Thanks.

Chris S. [318018]

(Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.)
Gillian Martins wrote:

[...]

Gillian Martins

Well, just to update the thread for anyone from the future, this turned out
to be Skype, which uses a rate of 48.0 for all its audio. Currently talking
to Skype Support for a fix.

.uk...