Default iTunes and Digital Performer

Until recently I was able to export my finished music from Digital
Performer (as Sound Design II interleaved stereo files) and bring them
into iTunes and burn CDs. But recently -- after upgrades to both
programs -- I get very strange behavior.

iTunes is happy to open my SoundDesign files, list them, and play them
over my computer's speakers. But when I try to burn a playlist, it
waits until I've already clicked the "Burn" button, then de-selects all
of the Sound Design II files and leaves them off the disk. After much
experimentation (and wasted CD-Rs) I've found that a work around is to
select the files in the playlist and choose "convert to Apple
Lossless." This has the unhelpful behavior of creating new files with
identical names in the Library, but leaving the unusable SoundDesign II
files in the play list. So I have to look through the entire music
library on my computer (which does not allow one to sort by format or
by creation date) and choose each song in my playlist again, pop up the
"Info" menu on the duplicate names, delete the one that's a SoundDesign
II file, and move the good files to the playlist. Now I can burn a CD.
Extremely tedious.

While iTunes has a preference that can be set to import files using the
Apple Lossless format, the Import command no longer allows one to
select SoundDesign II files.

Is there some preference that I've got set wrong, or is iTunes simply
no longer a useful tool for burning audio CDs from audio files you've
made yourself?

Rodney