offpeak808

Default phantom power >> mic >> Akai DR16 recorder question

I'm using two AT4051's for live recordings off the stage into my Akai DR16.
I've been using a Mackie board to supply the phantom power, and just use the
inserts to run the signals to the Akai. Works fine, until a band comes along
that uses all my mic pres/inserts on the board.

Is there a simple phantom power supply solution with clean in/outs, or some
schematics that I can build? Or do I need to get a preamp? The Akai already
has OK sounding inputs for my purposes, just no phantom power.

Thanks!

Willie K. Yee, MD

Build your own:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...f40 cac708e52

Buy:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...f40 cac708e52

Search mo
Google Groups Advanced search title = phantom power, group =
rec.audio.pro, dates = your choice.

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 12:16:45 +0800, "offpeak808"
wrote:

I'm using two AT4051's for live recordings off the stage into my Akai DR16.
I've been using a Mackie board to supply the phantom power, and just use the
inserts to run the signals to the Akai. Works fine, until a band comes along
that uses all my mic pres/inserts on the board.

Is there a simple phantom power supply solution with clean in/outs, or some
schematics that I can build? Or do I need to get a preamp? The Akai already
has OK sounding inputs for my purposes, just no phantom power.

Thanks!

David Satz

offpeak, you have a number of choices if a phantom power supply is
really all you need. But your message is ambiguous on one crucial
point: Does the Akai recorder have _microphone_ inputs that just happen
to lack phantom powering--or are they line-level ("aux"-level) inputs?

If it's the latter, then your Mackie board has been doing more for you
than simply supplying phantom power to your mikes; it's also been
acting as a preamp. That would be the expected situation when using the
"front end" of a mixer--some amplification occurs between the
microphone input and the insert point.

And if that's the case, then the outputs of a phantom power supply
wouldn't give you strong enough signals. You'd really need a preamp.

At the moment, the least expensive small two-channel preamp that I know
of which has a decent 48 Volt phantom powering circuit and decent input
headroom (ability to handle signals from modern, high-output condenser
microphones without overloading) is the M Audio "DMP3". The next model
up in price would be the FMR Audio "Real Nice Preamp".

If on the other hand all you need really is phantom powering, look up
the two Audio-Technica units--one is single-channel, while the other
can host four microphones.

--best regards

Scott Dorsey

offpeak808 wrote:
I'm using two AT4051's for live recordings off the stage into my Akai DR16.
I've been using a Mackie board to supply the phantom power, and just use the
inserts to run the signals to the Akai. Works fine, until a band comes along
that uses all my mic pres/inserts on the board.

Is there a simple phantom power supply solution with clean in/outs, or some
schematics that I can build? Or do I need to get a preamp? The Akai already
has OK sounding inputs for my purposes, just no phantom power.

Phantom power boxes are made by AKG, Audio-Technica, Stewart, and a few
others. Watch out that the AKG one has DC on the outputs, which makes it
fine for a transformer-input preamp but not so good going into one with
a transistor front-end. Most of the phantom supplies are around $50 to $100.

Rob Reedijk

David Satz wrote:
offpeak, you have a number of choices if a phantom power supply is
really all you need. But your message is ambiguous on one crucial
point: Does the Akai recorder have _microphone_ inputs that just happen
to lack phantom powering--or are they line-level ("aux"-level) inputs?

If it's the latter, then your Mackie board has been doing more for you
than simply supplying phantom power to your mikes; it's also been
acting as a preamp. That would be the expected situation when using the
"front end" of a mixer--some amplification occurs between the
microphone input and the insert point.

And if that's the case, then the outputs of a phantom power supply
wouldn't give you strong enough signals. You'd really need a preamp.

I am also a Dr16 user. The Dr8/16 is actually designed to accept
mic inputs (in fact it even has a built in mixer, so it is pretty
much a complete multitrack system).

I am not sure how much gain it can provide, but seeing as there are
the input level switches (consumer, prosumer, and pro) plus the
gain knobs in the front it can add a lot of gain.

In fact my only complaint is that when supplying it with a line level source
such as a mic preamp, it does tend to overload a bit when feeding it
something in the +4 range.

Can the OP not allocate Mackie inputs to mics requiring phantom and
Dr16 inputs to mics not requiring phantom?

Rob R.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Yup, the DR16 has switchable +4/-10dB line levels with balanced 1/4"
TRS in/out and built-in mic preamps. It's pretty cool. I have to really
tame it down to not overload even at -10dB, when providing enough gain
for the PA speakers. I need all mics going through the Mackie except
the 2 requiring Phantom. Looks like I really only need the Phantom
power box. Thanks everyone, again...