Andy Eng

Default Eagles Farewell Tour & Sonic Vertigo

Hello All,

Last night, I watched & listened to DVD #1 of the Eagles Farewell Tour
through the cans. It was mixed as one of those surround sound jobs
and had nice clean sonic separation in the stereo field but watching
and listening was a bit wierd at times. For example, left and right
were swapped for the pads (drums & bass) which was easy enough to
adjust for--Simply wear the headphones the other way but... There were
a couple instances were sources (solos, vocals and instruments) were
incorrectly located in the stereo field with respect to the visual
stage and it actually made listening/watching difficult at times. Not
quite sure I've experienced *that* before...

Based on sound alone, it was pretty good but it was almost as if the
mix engineer was working in the dark?!?! vbg Man, that Steuart
Smith can sure play!

Just yapping,
Andy

Bob Cain

Andy Eng wrote:
Hello All,

Last night, I watched & listened to DVD #1 of the Eagles Farewell Tour
through the cans. It was mixed as one of those surround sound jobs
and had nice clean sonic separation in the stereo field but watching
and listening was a bit wierd at times.

Do you know what directional microphone configuration was used?

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Wayne

Do you know what directional microphone configuration was used?

Bob

Did anyone see any mics other than Shure? Look like they had the mic
concession.

Wayne
Andy Eng

Nope...

I'm reckoning line ins and spot mics galore onto some bazzillion track
recorder. The post mixer for the DVD did okay decluttering all of the
instruments and playing the better stuff though there were a couple
moments... What was the giveaway was occassionally some player (i.e.
Steuart Smith) sonically in in the correct stereo field location for
several songs suddenly coming through waaaaaay "over there" instead.
Again, sonically alone, it wasn't too bad of a mix but together with
the video had my ears going cross-eyed.

Next time, I'll try watching it through a home entertainment center and
see how that goes over. Then again, perhaps I was paying too much
attention... :-)

DC

I'm a really big fan of Don Felder. I couldn't even watch this newer
concert all the way through.
Dr. Dolittle

DC wrote:
I'm a really big fan of Don Felder. I couldn't even watch this newer
concert all the way through.

Yup. The Eagles without Felder is like a chocolate sundae without the
cherry.
Les Cargill

Dr. Dolittle wrote:
DC wrote:

I'm a really big fan of Don Felder. I couldn't even watch this newer
concert all the way through.

Yup. The Eagles without Felder is like a chocolate sundae without the
cherry.

Right. And Bernie Leadon is just catfood, then?

(I applaud the man's courage to step up there and play those
parts in an individual manner ). But my limbic system said "he
ain't playin' them parts raht".

Weird. Flies in the vas'line, I guess.

--
Les Cargill
Andy Eng

Howdy Les,

Les Cargill wrote:
Dr. Dolittle wrote:
DC wrote:

I'm a really big fan of Don Felder. I couldn't even watch this newer
concert all the way through.

Must admit it was sorta difficult to watch at the beginning...

Yup. The Eagles without Felder is like a chocolate sundae without the
cherry.

Right. And Bernie Leadon is just catfood, then?

(I applaud the man's courage to step up there and play those
parts in an individual manner ). But my limbic system said "he
ain't playin' them parts raht".

I had that same feeling too but then I noticed he was playing pretty
much *all* of the lead parts. Thought it odd how he either opted, or
they had him playing waaaay over there on stage left.

Weird. Flies in the vas'line, I guess.

--
Les Cargill

Andy

hank alrich

Andy Eng wrote:

Les Cargill wrote:
Dr. Dolittle wrote:
DC wrote:

I'm a really big fan of Don Felder. I couldn't even watch this newer
concert all the way through.

Must admit it was sorta difficult to watch at the beginning...

Yup. The Eagles without Felder is like a chocolate sundae without the
cherry.

Right. And Bernie Leadon is just catfood, then?

(I applaud the man's courage to step up there and play those
parts in an individual manner ). But my limbic system said "he
ain't playin' them parts raht".

I had that same feeling too but then I noticed he was playing pretty
much *all* of the lead parts. Thought it odd how he either opted, or
they had him playing waaaay over there on stage left.

I think that's "his" spot. That's where he was set up when I saw him
with Emmylou and Linda. Had music-store-sized instrument rack far stage
left, and he worked just to the right of it.

Between Bernie and Buddy Miller we weren't hurting for great lines!

--
ha

Les Cargill

Andy Eng wrote:

Howdy Les,

Les Cargill wrote:

Dr. Dolittle wrote:

DC wrote:

I'm a really big fan of Don Felder. I couldn't even watch this newer
concert all the way through.

Must admit it was sorta difficult to watch at the beginning...

Yup. The Eagles without Felder is like a chocolate sundae without the
cherry.

Right. And Bernie Leadon is just catfood, then?

(I applaud the man's courage to step up there and play those
parts in an individual manner ). But my limbic system said "he
ain't playin' them parts raht".

I had that same feeling too but then I noticed he was playing pretty
much *all* of the lead parts.

Pretty much. Please note - the "defect" here is mine - those
songs are so overwhelmingly overexposed that any deviation
from the Official Radio Version causes my reaction.

Thought it odd how he either opted, or
they had him playing waaaay over there on stage left.

Yeah. I think we all got the message from that.

Weird. Flies in the vas'line, I guess.

--
Les Cargill

Andy

--
Les Cargill
hank alrich

Les Cargill wrote:

Please note - the "defect" here is mine - those
songs are so overwhelmingly overexposed that any deviation
from the Official Radio Version causes my reaction.

But I thought you were into jazz. Ought to be okay to chagne a part now
and then... g

--
ha
hank alrich

Les Cargill wrote:

Thought it odd how he either opted, or
they had him playing waaaay over there on stage left.

Yeah. I think we all got the message from that.

I'm telling ya, I think Bernie likes it over there.

--
ha
Les Cargill

hank alrich wrote:

Les Cargill wrote:

Thought it odd how he either opted, or
they had him playing waaaay over there on stage left.

Yeah. I think we all got the message from that.

I'm telling ya, I think Bernie likes it over there.

--
ha

Yeah, saw that after I posted. Maybe so. And I thought
it was Steuart Smith. How'd a "Bernie" creep in there?

--
Les Cargill
Les Cargill

hank alrich wrote:

Les Cargill wrote:

Please note - the "defect" here is mine - those
songs are so overwhelmingly overexposed that any deviation
from the Official Radio Version causes my reaction.

But I thought you were into jazz.

Not for a long time, no. Mebbe Metheney, but
more like Benny Goodman. G me no Kenneys.

Ought to be okay to chagne a part now
and then... g

Agreed. Like I say, it's like somebody
arbitrarily changing the words to the Naional
Anthem or something. We're all brainwashed
to it.

"I hate the f***in Eagles, man." - "The
Dude", "Big Lebowski."

--
ha

--
Les Cargill

DC

Les Cargill wrote:

Right. And Bernie Leadon is just catfood, then?

Not at all.

That was King Crimson.
Animix

Yep!