Jeff Chestek

Default Looking for a bulk eraser

A studio I'm helping install is looking for a bulk eraser for 2" tape.

They have a line on a number of reels of used 2" tape, and I'd like them
to bulk the tapes before they use them.

Anyone have a bulk eraser that'll handle 2" tape that they'd like to get
rid of?

Jeff C.

--
Anti-Spam email address in effect.
My real email should be pretty obvious to an actual human being.
Jim Gregory

"Jeff Chestek" wrote in message
A studio I'm helping install is looking for a bulk eraser for 2" tape.

They have a line on a number of reels of used 2" tape, and I'd like them
to bulk the tapes before they use them.

Anyone have a bulk eraser that'll handle 2" tape that they'd like to get
rid of?

Jeff C.

--
Anti-Spam email address in effect.
My real email should be pretty obvious to an actual human being.

Try Weircliffe, the only firm I know and whose products I have used - they
used to do a 2" x 11" NAB capacity. Otherwise, go for 2nd user.
http://www.weircliffe.co.uk/default.htm

Dale Farmer

Jeff Chestek wrote:

A studio I'm helping install is looking for a bulk eraser for 2" tape.

They have a line on a number of reels of used 2" tape, and I'd like them
to bulk the tapes before they use them.

Anyone have a bulk eraser that'll handle 2" tape that they'd like to get
rid of?

Jeff C.

I have one sitting in my basement that is available. ( near Boston )
I think it will do 2" tape, never used it on it though. Send me an
email if interested.

--Dale

Mike Rivers

Dale Farmer wrote:

I have one sitting in my basement that is available. ( near Boston )
I think it will do 2" tape, never used it on it though.

If it's light enough so that you could get it down to the basement, it
probably won't do 2" tape. The classic (it really works) 2" bulk eraser
is the Taberaser that has a motor-driven belt that moved the reel of
tape along a table with erasing coils below. It has a big, fat power
cord. There might still be one at a nearby TV station left over from
when they used 2" videotape.

There are more modern ones, las moneycosten.

philcycles

Mike Rivers wrote:
Dale Farmer wrote:

I have one sitting in my basement that is available. ( near Boston )
I think it will do 2" tape, never used it on it though.

If it's light enough so that you could get it down to the basement, it
probably won't do 2" tape. The classic (it really works) 2" bulk eraser
is the Taberaser that has a motor-driven belt that moved the reel of
tape along a table with erasing coils below. It has a big, fat power
cord. There might still be one at a nearby TV station left over from
when they used 2" videotape.

There are more modern ones, las moneycosten.

The studios that I worked at had Taberasers that were the size of a
standard reel. Put the reel on, start it, rotate the reel, filp it
over, do it again, tape erased. And don't wear your watch while doing
it.
Phil Brown

Dr. Dolittle

Phil Brown wrote:

And don't wear your watch while doing
it.

Or pacemaker.
Jim Gregory

"Dr. Dolittle" wrote in message
Phil Brown wrote:

And don't wear your watch while doing
it.

Or pacemaker.

Or carry any magnetic strip cards or similar security passes or door-cards!!

Scott Dorsey

Jeff Chestek wrote:
A studio I'm helping install is looking for a bulk eraser for 2" tape.

They have a line on a number of reels of used 2" tape, and I'd like them
to bulk the tapes before they use them.

Anyone have a bulk eraser that'll handle 2" tape that they'd like to get
rid of?

No, but if you're in my area, I can bulk them for you.

Bulk erasers show up government surplus all the time these days, and the
units intended for 1" instrumentation tape work fine for 2" audio.

The old Ampex bulk erasers are still in production by a company that I
think is called "Data Security." I believe they want something like $3k
for a brand new one, though.

**bg**

Depending on what you're trying to erase and what signal you want/don't want
left behind...

Near the tape, moving a substantial magnet/magnetic coil from a, say,
generator from a car/large vehicle will usually disrupt the recorded signal
so that it is 'unusable' and illegible.

But if all you want is the ol' cascade of white noise, likely not the toy
you're after.

Your wanting to erase them suggests there is a recorder/player at hand,
which, I expect you know, you can erase them on, albiet in real time for the
full length of the tape.

-bg-

www.lchb.ca

philcycles

**bg** wrote:

Your wanting to erase them suggests there is a recorder/player at hand,
which, I expect you know, you can erase them on, albiet in real time for the
full length of the tape.

-bg-

Better to bulk it first. If you don'tthere will likely be stuff that
won't go due to track alighnment differences.
Phil Brown

Edi Zubovic

On 2 Oct 2005 09:01:42 -0700, "philcycles" wrote:

**bg** wrote:

Your wanting to erase them suggests there is a recorder/player at hand,
which, I expect you know, you can erase them on, albiet in real time for the
full length of the tape.

-bg-

Better to bulk it first. If you don'tthere will likely be stuff that
won't go due to track alighnment differences.
Phil Brown

¸
-- I'd bulk it first; by a bulk erasure the tape is left having its
intrinsic noise only and will sound almost as a new one if it hadn't
any mechanical wear. Erasing the tape by a recorder is inferior as it
only overwrites the existing information by a VHF tone -- 80 kHz or
thereabouts; with all issues induced by such erasure; increased noise
floor, partial erasures, intermodulation noise etc.

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia

Microphone Cables in Bulk? Dracon Pro Audio 11 March 1st 05 04:51 AM
Bulk Ink System For Epson Printers [email protected] Audio Opinions 0 December 22nd 04 12:38 AM
bulk printable CDRs and DVDRs? JL Pro Audio 14 March 27th 04 08:14 AM
Bulk erase tapes ? musurgio Pro Audio 6 November 21st 03 12:24 AM
Hole in bulk head for power Matthew M Car Audio 2 October 20th 03 05:21 AM