Mike Rivers

Default EQ Magazine Publishes a "Mediocre" Review

The October issue of EQ has a review of the TFPRO 2-channel equalizer
(Ted Fletcher's company) that's a big ho-hum. In a magazine the bulk of
who's reviews are mostly certnered around "good for the money" this
reviewer, Joel Hamilton, expresses the opinion that the EQ in question
is not a good for the money. He says it's not a bad equailzer, but that
it doesn't do anything that lots of other equalizers do, it doesn't do
anything better than lots of other equalizer do, and it costs more than
similar products already on the market.

Curiously, the review doesn't mention the model number of the
equalizer, it doesn't mention a price other than "For something over
$2500 (of which this FULLY qualifies) . . ." nor does it mention any
contact information for the company. Searching the TFPro web site, I
see the P9 equalizer which appears to be the equalizer in this review
only it's front panel is blue and the photo in the review shows a red
panel.

I don't know the product and I don't know the reviewer, but I've
enjoyed several chats with Ted Fletcher at AES shows during the preiod
when he was designing the Joemeek products for PMI. If this review
isn't bogus, perhaps what it's telling us is something about the
importance in the industry of having the guidance of a good marketing
person (Alan Hyatt in the case of Ted Fletcher's Joemeek designs) to
bring a feature set, design and build quality, and price all together
at the right point, whatever that point happens to be.

Comments? - about the equalizer? the review? the
marketing/product/price?

(dis)claimer - I don't recall seeing this equalizer advertised in EQ,
or anywhere else for that matter. But I didn't look very hard.

Predrag Trpkov

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The demise of the original JoeMeek company has created bad sentiments within
the industry and there are parties that are quite certain to be pleased with
the review. Some of them might be advertising regularly in the EQ magazine.

I haven't read the review nor tried that particular equalizer. However, I've
tried and owned several JoeMeek products and like them very much. Great
value for money and a legitimate sonic family. The only thing I was less
than thrilled with was the eq section of the VC1Q. What exactly they were
thinking when they put it separately on the market ("Meequalizer") remains a
mystery to me.

Predrag