Richy

Default Recording audio on PC

My computer has the Avance ALS 4000 soundcard. When I record audio it
sounds terrible. Even though I'm recording at 16 bit, 44.1 kHz, it
sounds like a MUCH lower sample rate. I've tried everything from the
Windows built-in Sound Recorder accessory to Sonar 4 all with the same
results. Is it a limitation of the soundcard or something else?
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Richy" wrote in message news:1TnUe.339$HP6.135@trnddc06...
My computer has the Avance ALS 4000 soundcard. When I record audio it
sounds terrible. Even though I'm recording at 16 bit, 44.1 kHz, it
sounds like a MUCH lower sample rate. I've tried everything from the
Windows built-in Sound Recorder accessory to Sonar 4 all with the same
results. Is it a limitation of the soundcard or something else?

How, and with what, are you feeding the soundcard?

Richy

David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:
"Richy" wrote in message news:1TnUe.339$HP6.135@trnddc06...

My computer has the Avance ALS 4000 soundcard. When I record audio it
sounds terrible. Even though I'm recording at 16 bit, 44.1 kHz, it
sounds like a MUCH lower sample rate. I've tried everything from the
Windows built-in Sound Recorder accessory to Sonar 4 all with the same
results. Is it a limitation of the soundcard or something else?

How, and with what, are you feeding the soundcard?

I have tried recording from:

1. an external synth connected to the line-in on the soundcard
2. an internal softsynth
3. an internal CD player

It all sounds the same. Like it's in a metallic tunnel or something.
What am I doing wrong?
Arny Krueger

"Richy" wrote in message

My computer has the Avance ALS 4000 soundcard. When I
record audio it sounds terrible. Even though I'm
recording at 16 bit, 44.1 kHz, it sounds like a MUCH
lower sample rate. I've tried everything from the Windows
built-in Sound Recorder accessory to Sonar 4 all with the
same results. Is it a limitation of the soundcard or
something else?

Avance Logic made some of the most rediculously bad-sounding
audio interface chips that ever graced the guts of a
computer, and that's saying quite a bit! They performed so
badly that they were hard to measure. Playback was bad, and
the recording was even worse!

Avance was bought out by Realtek a year or two back. Realtek
cleaned up the product line quite a bit. Now, they are
merely mediocre.

Arny Krueger

"Richy" wrote in message

I have tried recording from:

1. an external synth connected to the line-in on the
soundcard 2. an internal softsynth
3. an internal CD player

It all sounds the same. Like it's in a metallic tunnel or
something. What am I doing wrong?

What you are doing wrong is not upgrading the computer's
audio interface. My easy-install one-size-fits all
cheerful-but-cheap solution is Creative Labs' SoundBlaster
MP3 USB - about $40, sometimes even at larger Wal Marts.

If you want better quality for a higher price move up to the
M-Audio Revolution 5.1 or 7.1, and up to their new
AudioPhile 24/192.

The trick to getting the best performance of any of the
upgraded interfaces above is to adjust the signal input to
the card high enough so that you get a good well-modulated
recording with the input level control at its lowest
position, just above off.

Richy

Arny Krueger wrote:

[...]

How does the M-Audio 2496 compare to those soundcards you mentioned?

free.teranews.com

Hello Friend,
We just released new wave on my website.Feel free to download it in audio
and mp3 format.maybe some will like it..anyway thanks for reading and until
my next one.
http://www.fleximusic.com/waveditor/audioeditor.htm

Thanks,
Ashley

"Richy" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

[...]

KenLac

Richy wrote:

My computer has the Avance ALS 4000 soundcard. When I record audio it
sounds terrible. Even though I'm recording at 16 bit, 44.1 kHz, it
sounds like a MUCH lower sample rate. I've tried everything from the
Windows built-in Sound Recorder accessory to Sonar 4 all with the same
results. Is it a limitation of the soundcard or something else?

Are you sure you don't have a clock reference problem? i.e. card trying
to take it's clock from the digital input when you're recording in the
analog? This used to happen all the time with my old AudioMedia card --
the settings for audio input and clock reference were seperate.